Is Mozilla Punting on Web Apps for Linux?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

From InternetNews.com:

By Sean Michael Kerner | May 14, 2012

firefox-mozilla.png

From the 'Mozilla Isn't a Linux Vendor' files:

While Mozilla is a leading light in the open source community, every so often I'm reminded that the same isn't always true in the Linux community.

There has been an ongoing thread over the course of the last week about Mozilla's lack of initial support for the Web Apps Marketplace on Linux.

That's right folks, the same group that is now (rightly) attacking Microsoft over the initial lack of access for browsers on Windows RT, isn't initially supporting Linux for Web Apps.

Read the rest of the article HERE.

So it's better to rely on "more popular" closed source platforms to advance the principles of open source software and Web standards? That makes sense to me. :whistling:

As we often say in Canada: "Eh??"

securitybreach

As we say in my neighborhood... WTF, over?

Indeed!! Seriously WTF Mozilla??? You would not be where you are today if it weren't for the OSS community :angry2: :angry2: :rant:

V.T. Eric Layton

Could it possibly be all about the usual motivation... $$$? :thumbsdown: That would be sad. I'll bet that Moz gets some serious backlash over this.

V.T. Eric Layton

They're trying to hit that bigger market share for some reason. Makes one wonder.

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting reading, Fran. Thanks. :)

Bottom line for me is that I have always been a fan and supporter of Mozilla (I thought the dinosaur was a cute logo ;) ) and I'm going to hold on to a little hope that their intentions are still noble. Of course, I once felt this way about Google, too, then I got wise. :(

Guest LilBambi

I am still trying to hold onto at least some benevolence from Google, but it is getting harder with what they are doing.

I hope Mozilla Foundation doesn't go that road...

V.T. Eric Layton

I de-Google-fied myself a couple months ago. If I use any Google provided service these days, it's by accident. I'd have a really difficult time de-Mozilla-fying myself, though. :(

securitybreach

I de-Google-fied myself a couple months ago. If I use any Google provided service these days, it's by accident. I'd have a really difficult time de-Mozilla-fying myself, though. :(

It's not like you use your real details anyway online B)

V.T. Eric Layton

It's the principle of the thing. I think Google has sold its soul for the almighty $$$. I'm boycotting. ;) I'd start using Google services again if they'd give me a job... or a pile of stock certificates. Every man has his price. :yes:

Guest LilBambi

As long as the source of that money is not detrimental to users, I agree, Temmu.

Donations are generally pretty noble for Mozilla.org or any non-profit. Using tracking, or other nefarious means to make money, not so much.