Adobe: Pay upgrade price to patch critical bugs

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Well, I am but an older version. I can't afford their outrageous prices for newer stuff.

And now they do this crap!

I agree they gotta be loony!

Besides are they trying to put themselves out of business? This is no time for them to start being this idiotic. Now that there are real alternatives to their crapware that bogs down systems and make them less secure too it seems...because whose gonna pay that on top of what they have already paid them!

V.T. Eric Layton

A large majority of their customers are from private business and government. Those entities, particularly the government, will happily pay. That's all Adobe really cares about. The little people like you and me are NOT their bread/butter customers.

Adobe Changes Tune on Forcing Paid Upgrade to Fix Security Flaws | SecurityWeek.Com

“In looking at all aspects, including the vulnerabilities themselves and the threat landscape, the team did not believe the real-world risk to customers warranted an out-of-band release for the CS5 version to resolve these issues,” an Adobe spokesperson originally told SecurityWeek.

But since then, and after complaints, bad press, and user backlash, Adobe has changed its tune. The company now says that it is in the process of developing a patch that won’t essentially force users to upgrade in order to fix the security vulnerability.

“We are in the process of resolving the vulnerabilities addressed in these Security Bulletins in Adobe Illustrator CS5.x, Adobe Photoshop CS5.x (12.x) and Adobe Flash Professional CS5.x, and will update the respective Security Bulletins once the patches are available,” Adobe’s David Lenoe wrote in a blog post late Friday.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

About time too. Sometimes I think these companies just think customers are made of money.

So glad they came around.

I'll say! From Greg Keizer's article on the reversal:

Upgrade prices for the three applications range from $99 for Flash Professional to $249 for Illustrator, while an upgrade to CS6 Design & Web Premium, the least-expensive edition that includes all three, costs $375.

That isn't chump change for large companies that need the license for multiple users, let alone individuals (and people complain about the cost of a Windows OS license. :bangin: ).

Adobe backpedals, will now patch software for free - Computerworld