Report: FBI requesting backdoors into social sites

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Yeah, I agree but I do not think Tech companies will let this happen so easily. For instance, Google turned down the Justice Department a few years ago when they wanted all of the user's data: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5165530 and I imagine other tech giants will not comply so easily.

At the same time, I do not think they will fight this because of our rights but because that data is worth more than gold to the tech companies.

V.T. Eric Layton

If the Gov cuts Google a few tax breaks that save them a cool billion or two, you watch how fast the cave. It's still all about the $$$. :(

securitybreach

If the Gov cuts Google a few tax breaks that save them a cool billion or two, you watch how fast the cave. It's still all about the $$$. :(

Sad, but true!!!

Guest LilBambi

Sad but true. You'd think they would remember they too are Citizens who can be abused by the government and realize that you can't allow this sort of thing to be done.

Nevermind. This is not a political forum and I don't wish to go down that road where it becomes a free for all here.

I am very disappointed though to say the least.

Edited by LilBambi

Yeah, I agree but I do not think Tech companies will let this happen so easily. For instance, Google turned down the Justice Department a few years ago when they wanted all of the user's data: http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=5165530 and I imagine other tech giants will not comply so easily.

At the same time, I do not think they will fight this because of our rights but because that data is worth more than gold to the tech companies.

The other side of this is cost of compliance... the companies are not going to want to implement something that will make their system more complicated, especially if some major rework would be required. Also, the changes would have to be maintained over time to allow access to that data. No company is going to want to do it.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Very true Adam.

Eric, I reblogged your tuppence posting on my tumblr :thumbsup:

Can you image saying that statement 10 years ago? :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric, I reblogged your tuppence posting on my tumblr :thumbsup:

Can you image saying that statement 10 years ago? :hysterical:

HAHAHA! :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

Temmu, there's a nice vacant plywood shack in the woods of Montana just waiting for you. Or would you prefer a fishing cabin on a deserted bayou somewhere? ;)

You're tracked from birth. It is what it is. It's been that way for centuries now. They were recording names in the Domesday Book back in the 11th century. Tracking of citizenry is almost always a $$$ thing (taxation). The only differences between the 11th and the 21st centuries are the technologies used to do the tracking. Those in control are still fleecing the flock of sheeple to line their own pockets. Ain't it great?

• Like 1

securitybreach

So true Temmu and Eric :thumbsup:

On top of that, we are all (in the USA anyway) assigned a number at birth or not long afterwards for identification and tax purposes (Social Security Number).

So yes, tracking is not a new thing. Just like Eric said, they have been tracking citizens since Roman times and before. Luckily, when your online there are ways to keep yourself off of the radar: provide tons of disinformation and never use your real info. Just because it says First/Last name does not mean you have to give them your first/last name. Of course, your ISP knows your real name but you could do like I do and put it in someone else's name. Problem solved (sort of).... :ph34r: