Mozilla Firefox 12.0 and Thunderbird 12.0

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Mozilla Firefox 12.0 and Thunderbird 12.0 have been pushed out and I updated to both yesterday.

They are working very well so far.

No problems with any of the Extensions I use with Firefox 12.0 or Thunderbird 12.0, however Lightning 1.3 was updated to Lightning 1.4 during the install when it checked for updates to extensions.

All going quite well. But I was careful too. I backed up my bookmarks .json for Firefox and copied my entire Thunderbird profile just to be sure.

But it all went very well! :thumbsup:

Edited by LilBambi

V.T. Eric Layton

They're in Arch's repos already, but I'll wait till Slack Current has them first before I do any upgrading.

FireFox engine was awful in version 11. Even PaleMoon sucked. PM came out with point release after a couple of days which made it usable, I didn't go back to see if FF did a point release on 11.

FF12 on msWin seems OK, but not nearly as snappy as a year ago. IE8 is running much better. To me it seems that FF served its purpose.

Note: SeaMonkey has not suffered the same performance issues as FF. More adults involved with SM?

Guest LilBambi

I hear what you are saying, however, I it has always been true that Internet Explorer loaded faster as it's preloaded with the OS.

I have not really seen the issues you are talking about so maybe it is worse on your system.

I use only the extensions I really need to be safer on the Internet and Firefox works well for me in both Windows and on the Mac.

Currently I am trying out Google Chrome on Debian Linux.

FF11 was a problem on all of the various pc's and win 2000->7. It wasn't just loading the pages either, it was the keyboard and mouse interface being awful. it was extremely herky-jerky and a pain to use.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I haven't had any performance issues with FF in quite some time (in Linux). I don't run FF in Windows. I never felt that it was optimized for that operating system. Maybe things have changed since way back when, though.

FireFox engine was awful in version 11. Even PaleMoon sucked. PM came out with point release after a couple of days which made it usable, I didn't go back to see if FF did a point release on 11.

FF12 on msWin seems OK, but not nearly as snappy as a year ago. IE8 is running much better. To me it seems that FF served its purpose.

Note: SeaMonkey has not suffered the same performance issues as FF. More adults involved with SM?

I haven't experience any of the issues you describe with version 11. Did you stop to think for a moment that it could have been caused by an addon? Version 11 has performed flawlessly for me. I will be trying version 12 out tonight but i don't expect any issues with that version either based on what I'm hearing from other users.

As for Palemoon - I've given up on it. Version 11 made my system crash more than once and quickly thereafter - he released v11.0.2 to fix the bugs. By then I was thoroughly turned off. I have switched to Waterfox which is a 64-bit variant of Firefox. Excellent browser.

Guest LilBambi

The Intel Mac version is apparently the 64-bit version but they don't call it Waterfox (cool name too). I have an extension that requires a 32-bit browser and asks me to switch to the 32-bit version of Firefox.

It works great too.

I've been using Firefox all the way back to the 0.7 days, when it was called Phoenix. ;)

Frankly, it has ben getting quite bloated, and I have found that it simply could not keep up any more on modern websites. i don't think it had anything to do with my hardware, because that is modern too. It crashed a lot, and soaked up emory like no one's business.

Google Chrome seems to run smoother. I like how each tab is its own process, and can be closed if it gets out of hand, and the browser returns to normal. The worst offender, by far is Facebook. Its pages can bring down even the mightiest of browsers. :)

I am not sure how much I like Chrome, but it runs a bit better than Firefox these days.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I've been using Firefox all the way back to the 0.7 days, when it was called Phoenix. ;)

Me too! And on Windows at that time.

I have seen it do poorly and do well from version to version. However, since version 11 on the Mac and using only the extensions I really need for security, I really haven't seen that.

I totally understand about Facebook, and maybe Lion has something to do with it too. But on Snow Leopard, FF11 and FF12 work great for me.

However, I too found that Google Chrome loads more quickly in all OSes, but I don't care for what I am seeing out of Google these days with G+ and us being the product.

And I certainly don't want to go back to the ubiquitous browsers for Windows/IE or Mac OS X/Safari. And I have but only use Opera for certain things.

So I am happy that Firefox works so well for me at this point.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I'm an FF user from way back in the beginning, too. Back then, in my MS Windoze daze, I used to collect browsers on my system. I was searching for my favorite. I ended up using the Avant Browser Trident rendering engine (IE) wrapper until moving to Linux in '06. I had tried FF in Windows, of course, but never felt that it was suited to that environment. Once I saw it in action in Linux, though, I realized that FF is much more at home there than in Windows. I'm not a software engineer, so my feelings about this are purely subjective and not based on actual knowledge of the inner workings of the software.

That all being said... with a brief memory-sucking issue in FF 3.something-or-other, I've not had any real issues with speed, memory usage, or bloat with FF since that time. I run 24 extensions and 9 plugins with FF currently. It's been up since 1430 or so this afternoon (about 7 hours) and it is using 348M of RAM. That's about a 10th of my available 4 Gig. Slackware isn't even noticing that minuscule usage.

But hey... we all know that this is not a perfect world and software behaves differently on different hardware and within different operating systems. If FF ain't your cup o' at the moment, no problem. There are many other options out there. Speaking of options in Linux, have any of you tried the lightweight Midori? I have. I removed Chrome and Chromium from all my OS's and installed Midori instead. It is light, but that means that it's also lacking in certain amenities. If you use your browsers in vanilla format, Midori will be fine. If, like me, you load your browser up with special effects, Midori is currently lacking those options. It renders with webkit-gtk, though, and it's FAST!

Midori On Slackware Using SlackBuilds

Much easier in Arch:

root@archlinux~:# pacman -S midori

Later...

Guest LilBambi

Midori is a nice little browser and does have some helps; like using easylist for adblock plus if you choose it for your extension. And a few others.

Thanks for suggesting it. I will try it out in Linux. It's not as fast as Chrome though.

The first version of FireFox I used was an alpha. I was one of the beta testers. Used it through Firebird and Phoenix days.

FF version 4 was not good and was the reason that my main windows pc stayed on 3.2x until version 11 - and why I swtiched SeaMonkey as my main browser on my main windows pc.

Problems have cropped up much more since the rapid release cycle and they announced they didn't give a hoot about corporate users and others would be dealing with keeping 3.2x as current as possible for corporate.

version 11 was so bad that for the first time I had users looking at web sites for an older version and installing (or in the case of portables copying) it over a new version. So far 12 is ok, but is not nearly as quick to use as other browsers or version 10.

The PaleMoon12 is darn close to the PaleMoon10. PaleMoon11 was as bad as FF11, at least they were able to fix it and released a PM11.1 in just a couple of days.

Hopefully the people who worked on 3.2x the past few months will be able to work on FF12.

Guest LilBambi

Loving T-Bird under Win 7 - that's a recommend for anyone plugging along with Windows Live Mail (WLM) or a web-based email client.

Yes! I agree! I don't know how anyone can deal with the limitations on WLM.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't access emails via MS Win anymore these days, however, I've used T-bird for eons in Linux. LOVE IT! :)

Guest LilBambi

Bit of a learning curve with T-Bird but once your over that, it's smooth sailing.

Did you get to T-Bird only since Win7 and WLM? Or did you change from an earlier one, like Outlook Express, or some other 3rd party client, siljaline?

I test drove WLM while I was still running XP, that was out of the question for obvious reasons. OE doesn't play with W7 so it was Outlook or T-Bird.

I had struggled with OL for a bit but needed a multi account capable client plus Usenet, T-Bird fits all these criteria.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, it surely does siljaline!

BTW: As an aside, is there a larger version of your avatar? I was trying to see what it was. It looks really good; form and colors, but the detail I would love to see since it is so beautiful.