Google Drive

Neil P

http://googleblog.bl...yes-really.html

Just like the Loch Ness Monster, you may have heard the rumors about Google Drive. It turns out, one of the two actually does exist.

Today, we’re introducing Google Drive—a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.

With Google Drive, you can:

• Create and collaborate. Google Docs is built right into Google Drive, so you can work with others in real time on documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once you choose to share content with others, you can add and reply to comments on anything (PDF, image, video file, etc.) and receive notifications when other people comment on shared items.
  • Store everything safely and access it anywhere (especially while on the go). All your stuff is just... there. You can access your stuff from anywhere—on the web, in your home, at the office, while running errands and from all of your devices. You can install Drive on your Mac or PC and can download the Drive app to your Android phone or tablet. We’re also working hard on a Drive app for your iOS devices. And regardless of platform, blind users can access Drive with a screen reader.
  • Search everything. Search by keyword and filter by file type, owner and more. Drive can even recognize text in scanned documents using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. Let’s say you upload a scanned image of an old newspaper clipping. You can search for a word from the text of the actual article. We also use image recognition so that if you drag and drop photos from your Grand Canyon trip into Drive, you can later search for [grand canyon] and photos of its gorges should pop up. This
    is still in its early stages, and we expect it to get better over time.

You can get started with 5GB of storage for free—that’s enough to store the high-res photos of your trip to the Mt. Everest, scanned copies of your grandparents’ love letters or a career’s worth of business proposals, and still have space for the novel you’re working on. You can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month or even 1TB for $49.99/month. When you upgrade to a paid account, your Gmail account storage will also expand to 25GB.

Drive is built to work seamlessly with your overall Google experience. You can attach photos from Drive to posts in Google+, and soon you’ll be able to attach stuff from Drive directly to emails in Gmail. Drive is also an open platform, so we’re working with many third-party developers so you can do things like send faxes, edit videos andcreate website mockups directly from Drive. To install these apps, visit the Chrome Web Store—and look out for even more useful apps in the future.

This is just the beginning for Google Drive; there’s a lot more to come.

Get started with Drive today at drive.google.com/start—and keep looking for Nessie...

Dropbox's prices are 50gb for $9.99/mo and 100gb for $19.99/mo. Google Drive prices demolish those. Plus you get extra gmail space too (although I've had mine since June of 2004 and am using 12% of my space)

I've signed up, but haven't yet had mine activated.

V.T. Eric Layton

As with KDE 4 and Gentoo Linux, it has become a tradition for me to post usually negative, snarky comments and images. This tradition now encompasses all things Google, too.

google_watching_you_independent_newspaper_24_may_20071.png

Guest LilBambi

Wow, and I thought this one was bad:

1984-george-orwell-book-cover.jpg

From this April 16, 2012 posting:

A disturbing report this morning from The Guardian — while many have suspected this happening for quite some time, Google co-founder Sergey Brin has spoken out about his concerns that “very powerful forces that have lined up against the open internet on all sides and around the world.”

Orwell’s chilling “Big Brother” prophesies in his sci-fi classic 1984 may become a reality. Soon.

And not just in those oppressive nations that have famously dictatorial, freedom-robbing governments. The US Congress’s controversial,

failed SOPA and PIPA legislations were just a taste of what’s to come, were just Act I.

A

Wikipedia blackout may not be enough to halt Act II.

Sometimes it really is difficult to tell where the real enemies are, non?

Guest LilBambi

And it certainly doesn't stop there ... and the more you peel the rind on all of this, the worse one feels about it.

abarbarian
:th_wavsign: just to put this back on track. How and where do you get Google Drive ? I have followed all the links etc and logged into my Gmail account etc but do not see any way to get GD :th_1sm330office-work:

securitybreach

As with KDE 4 and Gentoo Linux, it has become a tradition for me to post usually negative, snarky comments and images. This tradition now encompasses all things Google, too.

Just give them made up info, I do it all the time. B)

Disinformation is the key, that and prepaid credit cards.... lol :ph34r:

• Like 1

securitybreach

I agree but the problem is all of those links on the Slashdot post do not have any sources besides other NY Times articles. I did not remember the article until I read the first comment on the /. summary. Then I remembered reading the original and finding out that there were not any sources to backup this story. So who knows?

I agree but the problem is all of those links on the Slashdot post do not have any sources besides other NY Times articles. I did not remember the article until I read the first comment on the /. summary. Then I remembered reading the original and finding out that there were not any sources to backup this story. So who knows?

So you didn't actually follow any of the links at the story? Hey, I hate the NYTimes as much as anybody, but not everyone there is incompetent and/or disinterested in fact gathering and dissemenating. For instance, one link available at the story is http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/351298/fcc-report-on-googles-street-view.txt

securitybreach

So you didn't actually follow any of the links at the story? Hey, I hate the NYTimes as much as anybody, but not everyone there is incompetent and/or disinterested in fact gathering and dissemenating. For instance, one link available at the story is http://s3.documentcl...street-view.txt

Hey I meant no offense, sorry if it was taken that way :>

I did actually read the links but you know as well as I do that there is plenty of FUD getting passed around especially by the (bought and paid for) media we have in the US. I have no illusions of Google "doing no evil" but at the same time, I only half believe what I read by the major news outlets and try to research before I assume anything. That said, I do not have very much faith in the FCC as they are bought and paid for by corporations like the rest of the politicians. So like I said before, who knows?

So what you are saying is that you were looking for a source of the information that comes from somewhere else than a NY Times article? I guess that makes sense... in college classes it is generally considered taboo to use a news media article, page, or whatnot as a primary source for a paper. We've run into plenty of situations where a reporter publishes a story, and ends up having to retract parts of it due to poor journalistic practices. It seems that type of thing is happening more and more these days.

Adam

• Like 1

abarbarian

Ha ha ha been there lots of times with no joy. Clicked on the big blue sign in sign and i kept getting directed to the Drive sign in page with the same sign in as me email. Now I use Roboform to sign in so that is what I used. An of course it took me to my email account as it should every time. So I spent ages on several occassions looking for Drive features which of course were not there.

Eventually after many fruitless attempts I arrived at the Drive sign in page and signed in manually and would you belive it hey presto I was in the wonderful world of Google Drive.Don't know what I am going to do there but at least I can when I figure out what to do with this new toy. :bangin:

Guest LilBambi

With our bandwidth limitations, I am going to pass. I already have SpiderOak and Dropbox which get VERY LIMITED use.

securitybreach

So what you are saying is that you were looking for a source of the information that comes from somewhere else than a NY Times article? I guess that makes sense... in college classes it is generally considered taboo to use a news media article, page, or whatnot as a primary source for a paper. We've run into plenty of situations where a reporter publishes a story, and ends up having to retract parts of it due to poor journalistic practices. It seems that type of thing is happening more and more these days.

Adam

Thanks a lot Adam, that was my point :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Keeping comments on topic, or at least not addressed toward or against individual Highlanders goes a long way to meeting the Forum Rules.