Firefox skirts Windows security feature to make silent updates happen

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Firefox skirts Windows security feature to make silent updates happen - Computerworld

Mozilla will ship Firefox 12 tomorrow with a key component of its years-long silent update project.

Firefox 12, which got the green light from Mozilla last week, is slated to release on Tuesday, April 24.

Among the changes to Firefox 12, the most noticeable to Windows users will be the disappearance of the UAC, or "user account control," prompt on Vista and Windows 7 during updates.

I love Firefox and would love to see it be able to keep their users updated with the least amount of fuss, however, I am not sure this is a wise move at all.

I am not at all sure Microsoft should allow this because of the potential for malware purveyors to do the same.

Or am I missing something?

Are there any other programs that can auto update without being trapped by UAC first?

YES! Google Chrome has been doing it since it started.

OK, must be OK if it's worked out well for Google Chrome all this time.

Edited by LilBambi

Yes, Google Chrome has been auto updating since the beginning but that is because it isn't installed in the normal Programs folder but in the user's folder in Windows.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Google Chrome has been auto updating since the beginning but that is because it isn't installed in the normal Programs folder but in the user's folder in Windows.

Yes, I noticed that! Which makes it a safer thing if users run as normal users and not administrator. I noticed that in my Windows User folders.

LOL! Eric!

Guest LilBambi

Yes, they have had that for some time. I have it set to never check due to our unique bandwidth needs and issues. I check frequently but when I can actually get those updates.

it would be terrible to have it try to get updates for instance during one of our shows.

V.T. Eric Layton

I have mine set for never check because in Linux updates do not come directly from the app provider. They come from the distibution's repositories. I do allow addons to update, though. :)

I'm one who checks rather than have the software check. If everything goes out to check when you boot a computer, it can take a long time to get the computer functioning.

I want to install the update on my computer, check for any problems, then when I'm satisfied, install it on my husband's computers.

So, I guess I will install the latest FF and kick the tires. :yes:

Guest LilBambi

Be sure to backup your bookmarks before you go to a new version. One of my clients just upgraded to version 12 and his profile got pooched. Tried all the things to clear things out but it couldn't go to a site he could go to last night. Very weird.

Anyway, just be careful...just in case. ;) I have backed up my bookmarks json I can rebuild the rest if necessary. It wouldn't hurt to have a new profile every now and again.

Speaking of which ... here comes the update when I checked. ;)

Will report back after I update...

Guest LilBambi

Very uneventful. Went very smoothly.

Nice update so far...I like when it goes smoothly.

No idea why client's update didn't go well. But after backing up his bookmarks, and uninstalling and reinstalling, he's fine too.

Go figure.

Nice to be back.

I've made a note in another post the AumHa link cannot be changed for some odd reason.

I have no affiliation with the AumHa board in any way

MVP Blog default or none would do.

Waves at everyone that I may have missed over the years.

Regards,

Edited by siljaline

I think this is a great step. For 95%+ of users they will not even notice, or care, that it's happening. Keeping people up to date is awesome.

Windows Updates are turned on by default in Windows. It is good, though, to have the ability to turn them (and Firefox's) updates if you so choose or lack the bandwidth.

Adam