Gimp Does Not Work On .GIF Files in Thunderbird

KarlT

SuSE 9.0 If I receive a .gif annimated file as an insertion in Thunderbird 0.4, it works fine, but if it is an attachment, the only way I can get it to work is to save to disk, open it there and then it works fine. But if I try to open it on the spot, I get an error message that says"/tmp/name.gif could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences." Now what does that mean? What preferences where?Thank you.Karl

SuSE 9.0 If I receive a .gif annimated file as an insertion in Thunderbird 0.4, it works fine, but if it is an attachment, the only way I can get it to work is to save to disk, open it there and then it works fine.  But if I try to open it on the spot, I get an error message that says"/tmp/name.gif could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist.  Change the association in your preferences."  Now what does that mean?  What preferences where?Thank you.Karl
Perhaps this will help:FSLO-1075661845-896870.jpgGood fortune.

KarlT,I do not have Thunderbird installed in SuSE...there might be something akin to "preferences" in it's main window that will help. If I can, I will install Thunderbird (in SuSE), and see if I can duplicate this. You will probably have it all figured out, by the time I return. :D

No, I looked all through Thunderbird thinking that is where the preferences should be, and I could never find anything. I wonder if this is not a situation similar to that where links in Thunderbird will not open Firebird browser?Karl

Some how the thread got removed (by me; I had a double posting, and when I deleted it, it eliminated the whole thread, I guess). Quint, I think this TBird problem is like the lack of linkage between FBird and TBird because I tried it in Mozilla which is properly linked to everything, and it works fine there, just as clicking on links in Mozilla Email opens the browser. Karl

Very strange . . usually you should not be able to delete the whole thread ( only mods can ). . . wonder what's happening . . :D bruno

There were two threads and I just now merged the two. Looks like you only thought you deleted the double. All is in one thread now. :D--Julia B)

Is there not an options inside of Thunderbird of what to open various attachments inside of? If not, then another application (like Firebird) is responsible for it.

When opening attachments, a dialog box will come up asking what to do with the file. The options are save to disk or open with some application (with an option to select an application if nothing is listed). However, if a ~/.mailcap file is present, thunderbird attempts to use it and open the attachment with the application listed in the .mailcap file. At least it does for me... I don't know how well this will work for kde or gnome...tranquilo

Looks like Tools --> Options --> Attachements inside of Thunderbird should be the right place for configuring this but the buttons seem to be grayed-out. :lol:

Yes, they are grayed out on mine too, and when I try to do anything other than save to disk, there are no options there in the drop down menu and I can enter nothing in the empty box where it says to do it; guess this is another flaw in Thunderbird like not being able to click on links and bring up Firebird to see them.Karl

It certainly likes a an-completed feature. You should try joining their forum (mozillazine?) and seeing if somebody can help you there. And maybe if you find out come back and tell us :(

It probably requires editing of one of the js scripts. It works fine in windows. I checked it at work but I don't have it at home on my current distro since I use Evolution. I'm moving you over to our own Firebird, Mozilla, Thunderbird forum. I bet someone there can answer your question. ;)