V.T. Eric Layton

Eric -- thanks for that article! I've had my eye on Bodhi for awhile. I probably won't try it myself just yet because of some other things I've got going, but it's good to get someone else's opinion of it. I did spend a little time at their website. I enjoy using E17 (installed it in PCLOS) and I like that they say you only need to do a clean install of Bodhi once every two years (when the new Ubuntu LTS comes out). I've heard nothing but good things about the distro, so I figure I'll get around to installing it before too long.

The web site says that Bodhi has their own repos, but do they use the Ubuntu repos? And if so, (or even if not) would you mind posting the sources.list file?

The web site says that Bodhi has their own repos, but do they use the Ubuntu repos? And if so, (or even if not) would you mind posting the sources.list file?

Bodhi has their own repos for Bodhi-specific packages , and uses the Ubuntu repos. They also mirror the GetDeb repos. see http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/bodhi-linux-120-released.html

Nice article, Eric. Note that that every time you mention KDE bloat, I just have to counter with a statement of how great KDE4 is. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

You are my KDE foil just as Greg (trigggl) is my Gentoo foil. ;)

For you folks with U.S. public school educations; particularly in the South:

Foil - a person or thing that makes another seem better by contrast: The straight man was an able foil to the comic.

:lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, tinfoil hats. A must have in many circumstances these days. ;)

By the way, like the new avie! :)

Bodhi has their own repos for Bodhi-specific packages , and uses the Ubuntu repos. They also mirror the GetDeb repos. see http://jeffhoogland....0-released.html

Thanks for the info!

Hadn't heard of the GetDeb repos before.

I mentioned Bodhi to a friend of mine, and he said that he'd burned a CD a few weeks ago; thought it was "too spartan" for his taste, but that it might be a great distro for older hardware, or "for users who are experienced enough to know which applications to add."

Bodhi's DistroWatch page says: "The default Bodhi system is light -- the only pre-installed applications are Midori, LXTerminal, PCManFM, Leafpad and Synaptic -- but more software is available via Bodhi Software Center..."

Carla Schroder, from her recent article about Bodhi Linux: "Bodhi Linux is gorgeous, functional, and very customizable. It just so happens that's what grumpy old Linux nerds like me think Linux is always supposed to be." https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/556594:bodhi-linux-the-beautiful-configurable-lightweight-linux

Cluttermagnet

Bodhi continues to please, and I think of it when looking at any minimal hardware situation. I have it on a couple of my desktops. :thumbsup: