Mandrake Updates 9.0 and 9.1

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

If you have recently upgraded or installed either Mandrake 9.0 or 9.1, Mandrake has a site to get information on all their Security Updates, Bugfixes and General Updates:Mandrake 9.0:http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...tes.php?dis=9.0Mandrake 9.1:http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...tes.php?dis=9.1Main Advisory site:http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisories/One of the Advisories I received today for Mandrake 9.1 included fixes for Mandrake's Galaxy GUI Theme causing crashes when using Downloader4X and some foreign language. As well as two bugs in the Control Center, Ghost script, some fixes for some printers, harddrake, draktermserv, Xfdrake with some Intel video cards, drakboot issues, drakconnect, as well as KDE 3 and more.Sounds like these advisories are well worth looking into. :D

Guest ComputerBob

I know that bug fixes are a good thing, but when I bought installed brand new Mandrake 9.0 several months ago, I resented that it immediately told me that I needed to download and install 65MB of updates (over my dial-up connection).How many MB of updates does MDK 9.1 require?

Thanks, Fran. Hope these are the ones that got installed when I did the Control Center updates.  :(
Yes they did Quint ! Just keep going to the " MCC--> Mandrake update" once a week and you're set !Bruno

I know that bug fixes are a good thing, but when I bought installed brand new Mandrake 9.0 several months ago, I resented that it immediately told me that I needed to download and install 65MB of updates (over my dial-up connection).How many MB of updates does MDK 9.1 require?
Computer Bob, with an average amount of installed packages just under a 100 MB :( Bruno

How many MB of updates does MDK 9.1 require?
Bob,They were at least 65Mb... probably closer to 100Mb though ;)I don't know exactly... didn't pay too much attention to the sizes... just downloaded them. :)Edit - Darn.. you beat me to it! :(

The main fixes, and this would have applied to Red Hat 9, was a patch to Samba and Sendmail. These were high profile alerts.

Thanks, Fran. Hope these are the ones that got installed when I did the Control Center updates.  :(
Yes they did Quint ! Just keep going to the " MCC--> Mandrake update" once a week and you're set !Bruno
Point taken, thanks, Bruno; great topic - very helpful.

One further "update" question (Iknow I'm a pest): is there a need to re-boot after installation, ala MS? :(
Heck no! :( There's a reason Linux ISN'T Microshaft :( no reboot necessary... it's much more dynamic :(

The only time you would need to reboot would be if you updated or recompiled your kernel. Most application updates require none, unless they run as a service; then you just type service name of service restart from a command line.

Guest ComputerBob
....Computer Bob, with an average amount of installed packages just under a 100 MB....
Does anyone sell compilation CDs of updates to Linux distros for those of us on dial-up connections? For example, I bought MDK 9.1 from CheapBytes when it first came out. If I bought another copy of MDK 9.1 from CheapBytes two months later, would it still have the original distro on it without the two months worth of updates? If so, then I see a huge potential market for anyone willing to make and sell Linux cumulative update CDs.

Ryan, Bruno, Peachy - thanks and I promise not to re-boot. :blink: Think that I'm going to enjoy this OS; haven't even used XP for three days. Which reminds me, when I did - after having run Mandrake for 2 hrs. - XP seemed to run snappier, mouse was noticably quicker...just my imagination? :o

Ryan, Bruno, Peachy - thanks and I promise not to re-boot. :P Think that I'm going to enjoy this OS; haven't even used XP for three days. Which reminds me, when I did - after having run Mandrake for 2 hrs. - XP seemed to run snappier, mouse was noticably quicker...just my imagination? :P
No, depending on your hardware, XP may seem faster. GNOME and KDE use are resource hogs. Also, check to see if your video card has optimized drivers for X Windows. I know that nVidia and Matrox have accelerated drivers and ATI has them, too. There are none from Intel though for their onboard video.

Ryan, Bruno, Peachy - thanks and I promise not to re-boot. :P Think that I'm going to enjoy this OS; haven't even used XP for three days. Which reminds me, when I did - after having run Mandrake for 2 hrs. - XP seemed to run snappier, mouse was noticably quicker...just my imagination? :P
No, depending on your hardware, XP may seem faster. GNOME and KDE use are resource hogs. Also, check to see if your video card has optimized drivers for X Windows. I know that nVidia and Matrox have accelerated drivers and ATI has them, too. There are none from Intel though for their onboard video.
peachy,Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. What I meant was that, after running Mandrake (which runs just as good as XP), XP would seem to run faster than the last time using it (XP). :P

peachy,Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. What I meant was that, after running Mandrake (which runs just as good as XP), XP would seem to run faster than the last time using it (XP). :o
Quint,Could be just perception. :D

peachy,Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. What I meant was that, after running Mandrake (which runs just as good as XP), XP would seem to run faster than the last time using it (XP). :D
Quint,Could be just perception. B)
Guess I'm just overly excited about Linux. :o

Bruno, Fran,My journey into the "Wonderful World of Linux" began when my kids asked me who "Tux" was. (They had downloaded the Windows version of TuxRacer.) :D

Guest LilBambi
Bruno, Fran,My journey into the "Wonderful World of Linux" began when my kids asked me who "Tux" was. (They had downloaded the Windows version of TuxRacer.) :o
quint --Cool! :D I keep meaning to go and get the Windows version of TuxRacer ... my video card on my RedHat 7.2 won't do acceleration so he doesn't go too fast on my Linux box :D (it's got one of those crappy SIS 8meg shared memory built-in video)Will have to do it soon .... hopefully it will run on my Rage128 with 16megs B)

Bruno, Fran,My journey into the "Wonderful World of Linux" began when my kids asked me who "Tux" was. (They had downloaded the Windows version of TuxRacer.) :D
quint --Cool! ;) I keep meaning to go and get the Windows version of TuxRacer ... my video card on my RedHat 7.2 won't do acceleration so he doesn't go too fast on my Linux box ;) (it's got one of those crappy SIS 8meg shared memory built-in video)Will have to do it soon .... hopefully it will run on my Rage128 with 16megs :lol:
I'm sure your card will do great; their PC only has a nVidia Vanta II /w 16MB. My son showed me how much better the game was by using a MS Gamepad - backflips, twirls, flying....kids. :D

Oi! What a game!! I think I'm suffering from overexposure to cuteness... but it's amazingly fun! I don't have a gamepad, and didn't feel like using my joystick but it runs great from the keyboard... My video card (GeForce4 Ti4200) loves it... running beautifully at 1280.x1024 ;) what a hoot! :D :lol: :D

CB I totally agree with you on a patch CD - takes too long on a modem and when you have limited amount of hours it really hurts. Anyone install RedHat 9.0 ? I like it, but doesn't seem as stable as 8.0 or something. Seems like it has problems installing rpm packages.

Anyone install RedHat 9.0 ?  I like it, but doesn't seem as stable as 8.0 or something.  Seems like it has problems installing rpm packages.
Yes. It seems fine to me. Mind you, I haven't played with it too much other than installing the sendmail and samba updates using rpms. Didn't notice any thing the matter. Also installed the latest NVIDIA X Windows accelerated drivers. Tux flies with a GeForce 2 MX-400! :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Well, will have to try a bit later to download the Windows version, servers all full right now ... folks definitely enjoying it ... but on dialup 21+megs sounds like a late night download B)