The UNTHINKABLE

Arena2045

The UNTHINKABLEOk, like my day couldn't get any-worse... I hardly got any sleep, woke up with a debilitating migraine, forgot about my accounting homework till an hour before it was due, find out that my cell phone bill is now costs twice what it used to, almost get in a car accident, am still mad about the cell phone bill, and then find out that some pimple faced brat did the UNTHINKABLE.YES, this little crap-shoot did the unthinkable, and took a brand new Dual G5 and robbed it's soul, for an AMD and Windows.So this kid asks for a Dell for Christmas, his parents get him a PowerMac G5, and he strips it clean for Windows. He should have just told his parents that he didn't want it, and sold it, returned it, what ever, and bought a dang DELL.What he did was WRONG and just unthinkable.:blink: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/Any supporters for this kid's action, be warned DO NOT POST HERE because your thread will be removed. Only sympathy posts are allowed. A candle light vigil will be held tomorrow at Noon Central (-6 GMT) for the dearly departed G5.Me looks into my Magic Eight Ball for a virus to hit the kid's computer.... An Apple case will not protect one who doesn't worship the Mac OS.THANK GOD he gave the precious parts to a Mac user. If I was that friend he mentioned, I wouldn’t talk to the G5 killer ever again. Dumb***.EDIT: Well, according to the site, "Andy" the author of the G5 case slaughter story says it was bogus... Now we don't know if he is telling the truth either way because getting a free G5 case is truly questionable.

Edited by Arena2045

Thanks zox... she was a dear friend of mine. :'(greengeek... it is a tragedy! And so true, the kid complains about the parts he had to use to mod the system. He should have just told his parents. Communication is key.

Guest LilBambi

What a waste of some truly awesome software ... that G5 comes with the truly awesome iLife series too ... and hardware too! (what'd he do with the MB and chip? -- I want it !!)what a sad thing...lighting a candle ....(OK, so he thought telling his parent he really wanted a Dell would upset them -- LESS -- than trashing the brand new G5!?!? Unbelievable! He must think his parents are pretty stupid to think they will never realize he trashed the G5!! :o What's he gonna do tell them he's running Virtual PC?? :blink: )

Oh my goodness. :o If he wanted just a plain PC I would happily trade him my test computer for it. Think he could be talked into it? :P My condolences. That is obviously a self-centered spoiled kid. Ten lashes with a wet noodle. No - make that 10,000 lashes. Beyond belief.--Julia :'(

nlinecomputers

Is this kid NUTS? He took the most powerfull and fastest computer on a desktop and GUTTED it?Can't read the story the server is overloaded(is the story on slashdot?)I'm a diehard Windows users and Linux user but if someone wants to send me a G5 just PM me and we will work out the details. :'( Idiot. No doubt he wanted to mod it just to play games. Get a D*** PS2 you stupid brat!

Lover of quiet computers

What confuses me is that his defense pivoted around the fact that he couldn't wait long enough to get the software he wanted for the Mac. (The implication was that if he could get the software fast enough, he would stick with the Mac.) It wouldn't really take too long to get whatever software he needed, would it (though now we really talking conjecturally)?

Ok... The site IS being hit with a number of requests... I'm only quoting the entire story because it's a very sad story. Quoting the entire story isn't meant to take away from their visitors... and I encourage everyone to check out the images in the article, and if you so choose email the spoiled brat.Also, the two thumbnails are just that, thumbnails of the orignal avaliable at the site.

"How I PC'd an Apple G5" -- Andy - 1/27/04I got a shiny new Apple G5 for Christmas. I loved the case, but I’m no Mac user. So I.... •  Get a brand new dual processor G5, then •  Rip out everything, •  Cut out the back of the case so I can use a PC motherboard, and •  Install an Athlon motherboard.This is what it looked like before:image001.jpgDon’t get me wrong, I’m sure G5 is a great computer, but I wanted a Dell for Christmas. I don’t have any programs for Apple and didn’t feel like waiting for them. I thought about selling it, but my parents would be upset with me. After all, this was a very expensive gift and it meant a lot to them to give to me.First I removed the fans, ductwork and the board. I had to disassemble part of the case - it's held together with star head screws. I have NEVER seen a finer made case.The G5 uses a total of 7 Delta fans and 2 Delta blowers. I really wanted to keep them in use, but I could not figure out the wiring pattern - 4 black wires, I could not figure out the polarity. I think Apple had these custom made for them.[ IMG 2 ]Before installing the board, I had to cut out a section of the case for the ATX panel:[ IMG 3]The temporary switch was installed for the reset button.Here is what it looks like after the board was installed. I had to snap the stands for the Apple board off, then I used old plastic stand offs from my collection of parts. I had to glue in spacers so they would be the right height.Its too bad Apple decided to mount the board on the opposite side, because you can only fit a Micro ATX board due to the location of the slots. I considered cutting out the entire back and doing a total swap with my old Dell PC, but I think it would have ruined the over all look to the case.image007.jpgThe power supply had to be removed; it was hidden away under the lower panel. I installed in an ATX supply with Velcro:[ IMG 5 ]When I showed my friend, who happens to love Apple, he looked sick. He did not say anything to me. He just put his hands on his head and was in shock. I wish I had a picture of that.[ IMG 6 ]It emits a green glow from the front...[ IMG 7 ]...and back.[ IMG 8 ]It’s a good thing my parents don’t know anything about computers, because I’m sure they would be really angry if they knew what I did. I have to say that I'm happy - I can keep on using XP.The board is a Biostar Micro ATX, with a 2200 Athlon XP with an Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller and two 36 GB Atlas 10K V hard drives. I am stuck using the onboard video because there is no AGP slot. I had no money for a SATA controller and quite honestly, I swear by SCSI (the G5 comes with SATA drives).In the future, I want to get an Athlon 64 board and CPU with AGP support for a decent video card.I use it mostly for Internet, ripping music/DVDs and pissing off my friend.I put all the parts from the G5 into a box and gave it to my friend. He was rather happy. I think he is going to try to install them into his G3 - I hope he's successful.Andy [e-mail address is at the site, but not copied here...]
:blink: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/

I've never owned a mac, but I REALLY want one.What can I say, what an idiot... We should tell his parents what he did./me really wants the following: * Powerbook 15" Superdrive (1.25 GHz) * iMac 17" (I was saving for this but it cost double what my current system cost, and it's pretty muchh a top-of-the-line PC) * Powermac G%One I get a job, I will put all my income into a Mac fund :whistling:

Lover of quiet computers
/me really wants the following:  * Powerbook 15" Superdrive (1.25 GHz)
Haven't there been some pretty serious hardware problems with Apple notebooks (hinges won't stay closed, optical drive "impairments," etc.)? Or is it only the iBook of which I'm thinking?

The main reason I don't have a Mac is the price. To gut one of the finest machines made to run XP seems like something out of Star Trek. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Join the Collective.I'm sure glad his parents spent a couple thousand dollars so he could have a "Fine Case". B)

Yo, it's a scam!

I got a free G5 shell from a buddy of mine and pulled a prank on a Mac loving friend. He got so upset. I wrote up a little story, my imagination and warped sense of humor kicked in. I sent it to OC.com just to see the reaction. I honestly didn't think it was going to be posted. I cannot believe how fast or how far it has spread on the internet. There are an amazing number of people who are emotionally attached to inanimate objects such as computers. Mac fans seem to be much worse that I ever expected. The G5 is amazing, I would never dream of really doing that

However, it really makes you wonder where his “friend†got a G5 case… Unless he works for Apple or is a Technician who stole a replacement case, you do have to wonder.Heck it could still be true and he just lied so that we would stop yelling at him.

nlinecomputers
However, it really makes you wonder where his “friend†got a G5 case… Unless he works for Apple or is a Technician who stole a replacement case, you do have to wonder.Heck it could still be true and he just lied so that we would stop yelling at him.
I agree. I can't imagine someone pulling that as a joke. I can imagine some spoiled rich kid doing a stunt like that just to play games which is exactly what I think this is about. Anyone with any real interest in computers would love to have an Mac G5.

I don't want to offend anyone, but, why is it such a big deal? Once you buy a computer it is /yours/. He could have set the friggin thing on fire... it was his $3000 out the door (or rather in this case, his parents).Sure, it's a stupid thing to do, but there is no need for all the emails he has been getting listing methods of torture, etc.

Guest LilBambi

If this story is still true and he's just vying for sympathy now ... he deserved what he got.If it's not true and his friend started this ... his friend is no real friend ... and he should forward each and every email to his friend so he has to deal with the same inbox madness he has had to deal with.Either way, all I know is that I was very disheartened, disappointed and truly disgusted at such unthinkable, unthinking and disrespectful behavior of any young person after the money and thought that went into such a fine gift from his parents.I did not email him. I wouldn't even bother because if the story is true, and he showed such disregard for his parents feelings, he would never listen to anyone else.Just my two cents.