The Raspberry Pi

crp

A tiny Raspberry Pi computer has been used to steal data from Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory,

An audit report reveals the gadget was used to take about 500MB of data.

It said two of the files that were taken dealt with the international transfer of restricted military and space technology.

The attacker who used the device to hack the network went undetected for about 10 months.

Remote rover

The malicious hacker won access to the Jet Propulsion Lab internal network via the Raspberry Pi by hijacking its user account.

Although the Pi had been attached to the network by the employee, lax controls over logging meant Nasa administrators did not know it was present, said the report.

Like most things nowadays, it was almost 100% state sponsored attack.

Yup probably. It is neat that they used good old British low cost tech to do the deed though. :Laie_95:

• 2 weeks later...

Raspberry Pi 4-based Pi-top mini-PC debuts at $199

pitop4_hand-sm.jpg

The Raspberry Pi 4-based Pi-top[4] mini-PC has surpassed its Kickstarter goal, starting at $199. The gizmo has an OLED display, 5-hour battery, fan, and 14 sensor modules plus options including screen/KB and robotics kits.

The Pi-top [4] mini-PC and hacker kit was announced a few weeks back in conjunction with the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B SBC that it’s built around. Now it’s on Kickstarter with early bird packages starting at $199 and shipments due in November.

This is a quite expensive way to explore with the Pi but I think their offerings are pretty slick. :breakfast:

pi-top [4] the smarter way to design, code & make anything!

Every pi-top [4] comes with a metal component case with 14 electronic components such as programmable sensors, buttons and LEDs to bring your inventions to life, and store them safely when not in use. We like to think of it as an electronics bento box!

The pi-top [AVK] – Advanced Vehicle Kit – comes with everything you need to design and make fully programmable vehicles.

pi-top [AVK] contains over 100 components; from tracks and wheels to motors, servos and sensors. There are also 20 metal building plates to help you create whatever you need in order to explore your world. Just add imagination.

Edited by abarbarian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

Someone has found a way to make decent money from bitcoins then whistling.gif

I was going to say yes, some are making money by stealing the hard work another person's Raspberry Pi (s) is/are making...

Now I see someone using a Raspberry Pi to steal from JPL... joy...sigh...

• 9 months later...
abarbarian

Raspberry Pi 4

raspberry-pi-4-labelled-2857741801afdf1c

8GB £74

4GB £54

2GB £34

Those are not bad prices for a entry level pc.The good old PI has come a long way since it was first released.

This might be of interest to folk in warmer climates,

Fan SHIM for Raspberry Pi

Make your Raspberry Pi 4 seriously cool with Fan SHIM! This 30mm no-solder, controllable CPU fan with RGB LED and tactile switch will give your Raspberry Pi significantly better thermal performance. It's whisper-quiet too!

Fan SHIM uses a friction-fit header, so it just slips onto your Pi's pins and it's ready to go, no soldering required! Note that, due to the height of the fan, if you want to use HATs or pHATs with Fan SHIM, then you'll need to use a booster header.

😎

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Very cool. They sure have come a long way. I still have one of the original B models with 256mb ram and now they offer an 8gb model. I still have a couple of 1gb RPi 3s as well (one running Pi-Hole DNS for my network).

They definitely have matured well and could take the place of a lot of other larger computers for most tasks. I've considered one for ages but the only thing I'd use it for would be a media player and my old LG G3 phone does a great job at that. Plus I have 2 desktops, a notebook, and an old EeePC.

• 2 weeks later...

The nice thing is that Canonical now supports the Raspberry Pi. They have a 64-bit Focal Fossa server image now and last week they said they will be bringing out soon the Raspberry Pi Desktop edition.

• +1 1

• 2 years later...

This Anti-Tracking Tool Checks If You’re Being Followed

The Raspberry Pi-powered device can scan for phones around you. If it keeps spotting the same one, it’ll send you an alert.

The anti-tracking tool, which can sit inside a shoebox-sized case, is made up of a few components. A Raspberry Pi 3 runs its software, a Wi-Fi card looks for nearby devices, a small waterproof case protects it, and a portable charger powers the system. A touchscreen shows the alerts the device produces. Each alert may be a sign that you are being tailed.

Neat use for a Pi an on the cheap too. 😎

• +1 1

• 1 year later...

Hands-On with MX Linux 23 on Raspberry Pi 5

Good old MX you can use it on a 64 bit pc and a 32 bit pc and now arm pc's they might even bring out a version for a phone soon.

Yes, you’re reading it right, MX Linux 23 is coming to the Raspberry Pi as the team announced today the first alpha version of an updated MX Linux respin image for the tiny single-board computer.

Based on the latest MX Linux 23.1 “Libretto” release, the new Raspberry Pi spin is derived from the official Raspberry Pi OS and the upstream Debian GNU/Linux 12 “Bookworm” operating system series. As expected from an MX Linux spin, it uses the lightweight Xfce 4.18 desktop environment by default.

This should not be confused with the MX-Fluxbox Raspberry Pi respin announced almost three years ago.

Final thoughts

For now, MX Linux 23 for Raspberry Pi is in an alpha state and it’s visible because there are random freezes here and there. For example, after a few minutes of use, I wasn’t able to type in the terminal window.

The MX Linux team also reports that Conky won’t show up by default and needs to be manually enabled using the Conky Manager app, nor the notification about Wi-Fi networks being available so you can connect to the Internet.

But these are small annoyances that will most likely be fixed before the final release hits the streets. I think MX Linux 23, with its unique Xfce desktop experience, is a great and welcome addition to the Raspberry Pi 5 computer, and I can’t wait for other distros to offer Raspberry Pi 5 support in the near future.

Well done them there dev's. 😎

• Like 1

I'd probably use the official Raspberry Pi OS if I had an RPi. From what I've seen in forums etc. it's the least likely to have issues as it has some specific drivers and firmware.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
15 minutes ago, sunrat said:

I'd probably use the official Raspberry Pi OS if I had an RPi. From what I've seen in forums etc. it's the least likely to have issues as it has some specific drivers and firmware.

Agreed, it's what I do now. At one time I was running Arch-ARM (ALarm) but that  was years back.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, securitybreach said:

At one time I was running Arch-ARM (ALarm) but that  was years back.

I gave that a brief whirl too a long time ago. These days I would probably go with Raspberry Pi OS Lite. 😎

• Like 1