The Raspberry Pi

crp

Getting started with Minecraft Pi (2015)

The free Raspberry Pi version of the game is the only one that comes with a programming interface, allowing players write code and manipulate the world around them. It's based on Minecraft Pocket Edition for Android, and a Python API is provided. It's bundled with Raspbian, the Pi's main supported distribution, and it's being used to teach programming skills to young people around the world.

:fish:

Cottonpickers Solar and Battery Case

A neat way to power your Pi. :breakfast:

The web site is not hi-tech so you have to click on "SHOP" then click on "Raspberry Pi Items".

He is also offering a 7 Day USB timer but gives very little information about it apart from its functionality. Also I can not see any pictures on any of the pages and a lot of the links do not work across the site. The solar powered case is neat though.

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Tiny Core 6.1 Raspberry Pi Edition Comes with Linux Kernel 3.18.10 LTS (2015)

"Team Tiny Core is pleased to announce the immediate availability of piCore-6.1," says Béla Markus in the forum announcement. "Images with preinstalled SSH for headless operation and with GUI also available."

The new version of piCore comes with separate images for Raspberry Pi computer boards that have ARMv6 and ARMv7 processors, which are available for download on the project's website

Neat. :clap:

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

Didn't Elliot in Mr. Robot use a Raspberry Pi attached to a thermostat to hack the company where Evil Corp was storing its data backups?

Yes he did

You know, normally they completely destroy remakes but that one looks pretty good. Also, neat about the RPIs in th flicks

I only saw a bit of a trailer but it does look good. An I agree with you about the re-makes in general. B)

Hmm MR Robot I'll have to look into that, seems I have missed a whole lot of good viewing lately. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Hmm MR Robot I'll have to look into that, seems I have missed a whole lot of good viewing lately. :breakfast:

Oh you will love Mr. Robot as the computer stuff is actually factual instead of the crazy crap most tv shows show. He uses Linux and you'll catch little commands and stuff here and there that you recognize.

• Like 2

securitybreach

You folks kill me :hysterical: surely you watch programs for the storyline not the techy props :Laughing:

Yes and no. Most people would not think twice about absurdity but as a computer geek, we tend to notice such things as these. It's like if you were an architect and seen some neat looking structures on as how. As an architect, you would look for things like this and the same applies for use computer geeks.

Yeah I did the same thing when watching martial arts movies. Got so involved in the techniques used I used to forget about the plot.Mind you martial arts movies all have almost the same plot. We even went as far as buying a special video recorder that allowed us to playback in crystal clear detail frame by frame.

Looks like Mr Robot is getting quite a lot of media coverage. Most of the article I read mention the Pi in some way or another. This one has quite an interesting slant on the PI.

For those of you who, like me, had to disagree when Darlene said, “We all know what a raspberry Pi is,” here’s your answer: it’s a “low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse.” Common in Europe and Asia, they can do most everything a standard desktop computer can do; but, you know, Apple doesn’t want us buying those, so we remain in the dark, here in the U.S.

http://www.avclub.co...3m0nsmp4-222385

B)

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

APPLE Pi

Charles Mangin makes a hobby out of creating miniature retro computers, and he’s certainly outdone himself with the retro Apple 3D printed with a Raspberry Pi insideCharles Mangin makes a hobby out of creating miniature retro computers, and he’s certainly outdone himself with the retro Apple 3D printed with a Raspberry Pi inside

:Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing: :Laughing:

• Like 1

securitybreach

21 Inc. has launched a Linux and Raspberry Pi based mini-PC with native support for the Bitcoin currency protocol, enabling a Bitcoin micropayments server.

Since its debut in 2009, the peer-to-peer, open source Bitcoin crypto-currency protocol has continued to gain traction, especially for global transactions, legal and otherwise. Now, Andreessen Horowitz backed startup 21 Inc. has unveiled what it calls the world’s first computer with native hardware and software support for the Bitcoin protocol. The developer-oriented 21 Bitcoin Computer, which is intended primarily as a micropayments platform, is now on pre-sale for $400, with shipments due in November.

21_bitcoincomputer-sm.jpg 21_bitcoincomputer2-sm.jpg

21 Bitcoin Computer in standalone mode (left) and as a PC peripheral

(click images to enlarge)

Bitcoin micropayments device runs Linux on Raspberry Pi

securitybreach

Someone has found a way to make decent money from bitcoins then :whistling:

Actually quite a few people have made lots of money from Bitcoin. Some legal, some not. Heck Adam makes pretty good money mining bitcoins.

Actually quite a few people have made lots of money from Bitcoin. Some legal, some not. Heck Adam makes pretty good money mining bitcoins.

What is he mining with ? :cool:

securitybreach

What is he mining with ? :cool:

I'll have to ask

• 3 weeks later...

Doctor Who K-9 Robot Is Powered by Raspberry Pi and Talks Back

doctor-who-k-9-robot-is-powered-by-raspberry-pi-and-talks-back.jpg

There is also a LEGO K-9 case for Raspberry Pi, a Raspberry Pi-controlled Dalek, and even a small Tardis that flies high in the atmosphere. It looks like the usage possibilities of the Raspberry Pi are still expanding.

Well they would wouldn't they as the Pi is powered by the same tech as the Tardis. :Laughing:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

You Can Now Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Your Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Computer

Just two weeks after releasing the first build of his RaspAnd operating system based on Google's Android 8.1 Oreo mobile OS, Arne Exton today announced a new version with support for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ computer.

RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 Build 180717 is basically identical with RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 Build 180707 except for the fact that it now also supports the latest Raspberry Pi 3 single-board computer, the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, which features a more powerful 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core processor, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE 4.2, faster Ethernet, and Power-over-Ethernet support.

RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Model B+ – Build 180717 (two versions) – with Google Play Store, Aptoide TV and TeamViewer

NEWS 180717: My build of RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 is ready. It’s the first RaspAnd build with Android Oreo 8.1 and the first RaspAnd build to work on the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. All installed apps (including Google Play Services and Google Play Store) have been updated to the latest available version by 180717. Read about all other included apps below. While downloading RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 Build 180717 you will also get RaspAnd Nougat 7.1.2 Build 180529, which works much better than RaspAnd Oreo 8.1.

NEWS later 180717: I’ve also uploaded a mini version of RaspAnd Oreo 8.1. It has only the absolute necessary apps pre-installed. I. e. GAPPS (Google Play Services with Google Play Store) and a Browser – Via Browser (Fast and Light – Geeks Best Choice). Watch a screenshot showing all installed apps in the mini version of RaspAnd Oreo. The mini version of RaspAnd Oreo is somewhat faster than the “big” version. The advantage is also that you can install the apps you really need. REMEMBER: The fewer apps you have installed the faster RaspAnd will run.

These are paid for systems btu personally I think $9 for two different version is a steal. Wish I had a 3B or 3B+ to try them out on. :breakfast:

• 2 weeks later...

I actually did set up the ADS-B ground station on one of my RPis. I currently have it set up in an upstairs bedroom with the 1090 MHz antenna in the window. I'll probably keep it running until I want to use the Pi for something else, but until then feel free to check out my stats.

EDIT: I took the ground station down after some connectivity problems surfaced that I didn't have the time or energy to troubleshoot. I will probably give it another try at some point, though.

Edited by Fuddster

• 10 months later...

Bit out of date,from February this year.

Raspberry Pi opens first High Street store in Cambridge

The team behind the pocket-sized Raspberry Pi computer is opening its first high street store in the city where it was invented.

In a move bucking the online retail trend, the company will open an "experimental space" in Cambridge.

The firm will also now offer a new starter kit of parts - to accompany the popular tiny computer.

Founder Eben Upton said he hoped the shop would attract customers who were "curious" about the brand.

The store opens in Cambridge's Grand Arcade shopping centre on Thursday.

Bit more recently, even the crims are cutting down their running costs,

Raspberry Pi used to steal data from Nasa lab

A tiny Raspberry Pi computer has been used to steal data from Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory,

An audit report reveals the gadget was used to take about 500MB of data.

It said two of the files that were taken dealt with the international transfer of restricted military and space technology.

The attacker who used the device to hack the network went undetected for about 10 months.

Remote rover

The malicious hacker won access to the Jet Propulsion Lab internal network via the Raspberry Pi by hijacking its user account.

Although the Pi had been attached to the network by the employee, lax controls over logging meant Nasa administrators did not know it was present, said the report.

Raspberry Pi 4 Review: The New Gold Standard for Single-Board Computing

Raspberry Pi has long been the gold standard for inexpensive single-board computing, powering everything from robots to smart home devices to digital kiosks. The long-anticipated Raspberry Pi 4 takes Pi to another level, with performance that’s good enough to use in a pinch as a desktop PC, plus the ability to output 4K video at 60 Hz or power dual monitors.

KCDhpRb.png

For the same $35 starting price as prior models, you get speeds that are two to four times faster, support for USB 3 and true Gigabit Ethernet. Perhaps more importantly, there will be a $45 Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB of RAM and a $55 unit with 4GB, four times more than any previous Pi has had. Makers and hobbyists will want to add the Raspberry Pi 4 to their arsenals, and tech enthusiasts who’ve never used a Pi before now have even more reasons to buy one.

Super development from the Pi folk.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

A tiny Raspberry Pi computer has been used to steal data from Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
the space agency has revealed.

An audit report reveals the gadget was used to take about 500MB of data.

It said two of the files that were taken dealt with the international transfer of restricted military and space technology.

The attacker who used the device to hack the network went undetected for about 10 months.

Remote rover

The malicious hacker won access to the Jet Propulsion Lab internal network via the Raspberry Pi by hijacking its user account.

Although the Pi had been attached to the network by the employee, lax controls over logging meant Nasa administrators did not know it was present, said the report.

Like most things nowadays, it was almost 100% state sponsored attack.