The Raspberry Pi

crp

I still think the Odroid C1 is a better buy for several reasons. One, is has UHF-1 support for SD cards, which at least doubles the card speed. Two, it has two separate USB controllers so you can copy from one external drive to another much faster and three it runs Android 4.4. Four, it has giga bit ethernet. Of course it also has an eMMC port, but that is a little too expensive, IMO, to go with a $35 board.

I'm running a Samsung EVO 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class 10 card in my Pi B/B+/Pi 2 B without issues. The difference between the Odroid and Pi is whether you are natively developing with Android or Linux. Each has their niche. I do like the fact that the RPI 2 will be able to run Windows 10. :0

• Like 1

You may have sold me on the specs alone lewmur and its also only $35.

I do not see the point of running Android on this though. 1gb of ram isn't really enough for Android nowadays. Maybe the old 4.4 but anything above that is too slow to really use. I have 5.0 on my 2012 Nexus 7(quad core with 1gb of ram) and I have to turn off all animations and use a custom rom for it to even be useable

As I said, the C1 in running 4.4.2 and with the faster SD it runs fine. Of course, a lot depends on what screen res you choose. Anything over 1360 x 768 on my 40" monitor is wasted on my poor old eyes. I can't tell the difference between my Note 2014 with 2560 x 1600 and my old Galaxy Tab 3 with only 1024 x 600.

My main reason for wanting Android on my C1 is because I'm a big Nascar fan and watching Raceview on a 40" monitor is "totally awesome dude!!!" :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

securitybreach
My main reason for wanting Android on my C1 is because I'm a big Nascar fan and watching Raceview on a 40" monitor is "totally awesome dude!!!" :clap: :clap:

If that is your reason, just get a chromecast. https://www.google.c...ices/chromecast

Its also only $35 but you can push anything from your android device to the tv. Just click cast to push any app, game, youtube videos etc. you are viewing and it will show up on the big screen. My cousin bought one and it very simple to use if you already use android devices. The cast function is built into to Android 5.0 but is available via an app for older devices. It works fine on devices running Android 2.3 to 5.1.

You can also stream your own local media from your computer to your tv using chromecast.

securitybreach
The difference between the Odroid and Pi is whether you are natively developing with Android or Linux.

In that case, the RPi2 will meet my needs just fine.

• Like 1

If that is your reason, just get a chromecast. https://www.google.c...ices/chromecast

Its also only $35 but you can push anything from your android device to the tv. Just click cast to push any app, game, youtube videos etc. you are viewing and it will show up on the big screen. My cousin bought one and it very simple to use if you already use android devices. The cast function is built into to Android 5.0 but is available via an app for older devices. It works fine on devices running Android 2.3 to 5.1.

You can also stream your own local media from your computer to your tv using chromecast.

Raceview isn't a "web" app and it won't run on Chromecast. And when I'm not using my C1 to run Android apps, I boot from my Linux SD card and use it as an FTP and NAS server. IOW, it isn't just a "streaming" device.

My phone will stream to TV via Slimport -> HDMI cable. I just have to work out how to stream from my desktop to phone. Maybe KDE Connect will work? Must try it, works well for other transfers I've done.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I love my Chromecast that my sister and brother in law got me for Christmas.

I use my iPhone with Hulu Plus, Youtube, iHeartRadio, etc. or use my Google Chrome browser in Linux with the Chromecast "Google Cast" Extension to cast it to my Chromecast. I can throw so many things up on the Chromecast. I can also use Hulu Plus via browser, or Netflix or whatever website, SyFy etc., that I use to cast shows up on the Chromecast.

I love my Chromecast that my sister and brother in law got me for Christmas.

I use my iPhone with Hulu Plus, Youtube, iHeartRadio, etc. or use my Google Chrome browser in Linux with the Chromecast "Google Cast" Extension to cast it to my Chromecast. I can throw so many things up on the Chromecast. I can also use Hulu Plus via browser, or Netflix or whatever website, SyFy etc., that I use to cast shows up on the Chromecast.

While the Cromecast may be a great device, it isn't in the same category as the RPi 2 or the Odroid C1. You don't need an iPhone or separate Linux device to connect to your TV. They both have their own HDMI ports and will "stream" from their own browsers. Plus, the Pi 2 and the C1 are both general purpose computing device. My original point was the the C1, IMO, out Pi's the Pi 2. Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Actually RaceView is an android application: https://play.google....iewmobile&hl=en

Gee?? I wonder why I said I wanted Android in order to run RaceView??

Well you did say: "Raceview isn't a "web" app and it won't run on Chromecast."

Chromecast doesn't run only webapps. It runs literally anything on your device: apps, games, etc. Basically anything your android device can pull up, can be cast to your tv.

Actually RaceView is an android application: https://play.google....iewmobile&hl=en

Gee?? I wonder why I said I wanted Android in order to run RaceView??

Well you did say: "Raceview isn't a "web" app and it won't run on Chromecast."

Chromecast doesn't run only webapps. It runs literally anything on your device: apps, games, etc. Basically anything your android device can pull up, can be cast to your tv.

But why would I need Chromecast? I can plug either a Pi or my C1 directly to my TV/monitor. I just plain don't understand how Chromecast has any relevance in a discussion about the merits of the Pi vs the C1. It certainly isn't a replacement for either one. Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

Because you can do all that wireless. Being able to stream your local media from your pc to your tv alone is worth buying one, not to mention all of the other features.

securitybreach

And actually it is relevant to your discussion of choosing the C1 because you mentioned being able to run Android. You said that you like the C1 because of being able to use android apps on your tv and I mentioned a device made to do exactly that for the same price.

I was trying to help you

Because you can do all that wireless. Being able to stream your local media from your pc to your tv alone is worth buying one, not to mention all of the other features.

But I have NO NEED to do it wirelessly. My C1 is attached to my tv in exactly the same way as I'd attach a Chromecast and I control it wirelessly with bluetooth.

securitybreach

Can your C1 stream from any device including your pc? Chromecast can do that from any phone, any tablet, any computer or any browser attached to your local network? Heck you could even cast your text messages to your tv if you wanted.

Anyway, back to the topic.... I hope to get a Rpi v2 soon!

And actually it is relevant to your discussion of choosing the C1 because you mentioned being able to run Android. You said that you like the C1 because of being able to use android apps on your tv and I mentioned a device made to do exactly that for the same price.

I was trying to help you

How does it help me? I can run RaceView with my C1 without Chromecast and I can also use my C1 as a NAS and FTP server and still have all of the GPIO and other stuff I don't get with Chromecast.

For those who want a "streaming" device ONLY, that is plug and play OTB, then the Chromecast might be OK. But it won't REPLACE a Pi or C1.

• 4 weeks later...

British ESA astronaut Tim Peake is heading to the International Space Station for six months, and he's taking two Raspberry Pi computers with him!

As part of the mission's education outreach program, children in UK schools will get the chance to write code to run their own applications in space. The Pis will each have a specially made sensor board attached in order to access data on the space station's atmosphere. Schools will get the chance to run experiments in their own classroom and compare the results from space, or just make interesting applications to run on the space station. We're really excited to see what the young minds of Britain come up with, and what they can learn from turning their ideas to a reality by programming the boards.

http://opensource.com/education/15/4/uk-students-compete-chance-have-their-raspberry-pi-code-run-space

Android 5.1 runs on Raspberry Pi 2

The Raspberry Pi is a very popular low cost, credit-card sized computer & several Linux distributions are released for this device. Swedish developer Exton created the RaspAnd Linux distribution to make it possible to run Android 5.1 Lollipop on the latest Raspberry Pi; version 2 (Model B) & is using Kernel 3.19.0-exton-v7+.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

I couldn't image how slow Android 5.1 would be on a device with 512mb ram and a single core cpu. 5.1 is slow on devices with only 1gb of ram, even if they have a quad core cpu. You need 2gb of ram to comfortably run Android 5.1.

I know this all from experience.

I couldn't image how slow Android 5.1 would be on a device with 512mb ram and a single core cpu. 5.1 is slow on devices with only 1gb of ram, even if they have a quad core cpu. You need 2gb of ram to comfortably run Android 5.1.

I know this all from experience.

The only reports I've seen say, that while it does work, it is too slow to be usable.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Raspberry Pi gains an E-paper display

The E-Paper HAT Display supports a wide variety of applications including a desk or wall clock, a weather station, or a Twitter feed display. The monochrome E-Paper display uses a fraction of the power of an LCD display, but cannot support video or fast animation. One advantage of the display is that the last message sent remains on the screen even if the power goes down, says Percheon.

Looks really neat.

This one is totally amazing. The ten minute video is a real treat.

Amazonian rainforest simulation

Mike “Recantha” Horne mailed me yesterday saying he’d found something that was (and I quote) “ALL KINDS OF COOL”. He also taught me a new word. This project is a paludarium: a created environment that mimics a complete terrestrial and aquatic biome, full of plants and animals that live in water and on land. A bit like a terrarium, but with an aquatic element as well (or a bit like an aquarium with a greenhouse on top).

The Raspberry Pi is responsible for running:

• 6 independent sections of halogen lights
  • 27 independently controlled 1W LEDs for various effects
  • 3 independent 3W RGB LEDs for ambient color effects
  • 3 independent 3W LEDs for lightning and moon simulation
  • 3 independent 10W LEDs for Aquarium lighting
  • 2 independent FANs for wind simulation
  • 3 fog generators
  • 2 independent solenoids for rain control
  • Temperature monitoring

This is one of the most beautiful projects we’ve ever featured here. It’s a compelling watch: enjoy the video.

:hug:

• Like 2

Pi Day Project (2015)

The idea is thus: I and my wife have several development sites internal to our network that we, at times, want to show to customers, relatives or friends (you know just to show off) and were in need of a way to make these sites publicly available. Sure we could each use separate odd/non-standard ports to serve up our local Apache instances, but what fun is that, really?

Having had the new Rapsberry Pi 2 sitting around for a couple of days and itch to play around with Node.js I decided I would combine the two in to a project for the upcoming Pi Day.

B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Portable wireless speakers run Linux on a Raspberry Pi (2015)

The AxiomAir is built around a Raspberry Pi, which according to an email from the company, is the new, quad-core Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. The device runs Axiom’s own open source Linux OS, based on the Debian-based Raspian, and will be available with an open SDK for developers to create their own apps, says the company.

:breakfast: