The Raspberry Pi

crp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a tear in my eye as I said goodbye to my first ever Pi.

It did not die. I decided to give it to my friend who has just got married. A strange wedding present you may think but what do you give to someone who has everything.

So Pi One is winging its way to El Salvador as that is where his bride is from originally. She has been living in the UK for the last forty years and they have been an item for twenty years or so. As they were both sixty this year they thought they had better get married before they were to old to enjoy the honeymoon.

I set up the Pi with the new NOOBS os and installed Raspbian on a 4 GB card and downloaded all 14 issues of the MagPi magazine along with several other educational pdfs and a text file containing some helpful tips on setting up the Pi with different monitors/tv's and some help with using omxplayer and cmus.

Along with the Pi I donated a case, hdim and old style yellow plug tv cable, two prong mains adapter, usb sd card reader, bluetooth dongle, a couple of short usb cables, a 1 GB sd card with the MagPi's etc. a red/white plugged audio cable and me mate bought the powered usb hub of me that I was using to show him how the Pi worked, I could not afford to donate the hub is why he bought it of me.All of this packed neatly into a 9"x9" cardboard box which he was going to pack in his hand luggage to save the Pi from rattling around in a cargo hold.

At present my friend and his bride are helping support two family members with finance to help them through the education system. A few quid here and there make a vast difference to some folks lives in other parts of the world. I do not know where the Pi will end up, in a family members hands or donated to a local school or youth group. I know that there will not be another Pi in the local area and am hopeful that it will find its way into the hands of someone who will do something useful with it.

I'll post if I get any news. :breakfast:

• Like 1

That is pretty interesting! I use my Pis as headless machines. I don't need a bunch of stuff hooked up to them. :)

Adam

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/07/26/hackers-tiny-spy-computers-aim-to-track-targets-around-entire-neighborhoods-and-cities/

Each CreepyDOL computer is built from a $25 tiny, single-board computers known as a Raspberry Pi and designed to be inconspicuously plugged into a power outlet anywhere with public Wifi; O’Connor suggests that the outlets in corners of coffee shops would make perfect hiding spots.

Creepiest of all, O’Connor has even designed the software to grab the user’s photo if they visit a certain dating site that lacks SSL encryption, adding that to the target’s profile.

“If every person on the planet can use this surveillance technology, I think we should start to design things not to leak information at every level,” he says. “You leave behind a trail that can be tracked not just by the NSA or a law enforcement agency, but by any kid in a basement with less than $500.”

Neat project. :whistling:

yeah with a small portable power pack those units could be deployed almost anywhere and would be hard to find. A case of I Spy With My Little Pi I recon :devil:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

New issue of MagPi out:

Welcome to issue 16 of The MagPi.

It’s back… Skutter returns to the pages of The MagPi and this time it’s more sensitive! Stephen takes you in detail through expanding the number of inputs and outputs which can be controlled from your Raspberry Pi using I2C. This will allow you to add more sensors to your bot while driving the base unit.

In this issue we have some great hardware projects like Jorge’s PATOSS for monitoring his injured bird and we learn how to scroll text on the Pi Matrix.

We have more on connecting your Raspberry Pi to an Arduino in Tony’s great article on driving a liquid crystal display plus an amazing look into connecting your Raspberry Pi to Logi-Pi by Michael Jones.

After all that, we supplement the above with some fantastic software articles.

We are pleased to provide more on programming in Java by looking at control flow sentences, numbers, strings and booleans with Vladimir. For the cherry on the cake we have more from Bash gaffer tape and building and parsing XML in Python.

Hope you enjoy the biggest issue of The MagPi to date.

Ash Stone

http://www.themagpi....issue/issue-16/

Raspberry Strudel: My Raspberry Pi in Austria

The Deal

When I first saw the deal advertised, I couldn't believe my eyes. An Austrian colocation facility, EDIS GmbH, was offering free Raspberry Pi colocation. Although I was a bit skeptical, I carefully read through the fine print, but it was pretty clear. If you set up an account, the EDIS GmbH folks would send you network information for your Raspberry Pi. Once you configured the network settings, you would send the Raspberry Pi along with the SD card, USB cable and optionally a small USB thumbdrive and they would rack it and provide 100Gb/month of traffic on a 100Mb connection. They even offered free remote power cycling of the server as long as you were fine with waiting 24–48 hours. I figured the worst that could happen is that I'm out a $35 Raspberry Pi and some Flash storage, so I signed up and set aside a Raspberry Pi, 8GB SD card and 32GB thumbdrive while I waited for my IP information.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/raspberry-strudel-my-raspberry-pi-austria

I'm not a network expert but this sounds like a sweet deal for anyone that could make use of the service. :breakfast:

• 4 weeks later...

Raspberry Pi Wireless Inventors Kit Review

RasWIK introduction

The Wireless Inventors Kit for the Raspberry Pi (RasWIK) is an exciting and affordable way to build your own wireless devices with the Raspberry Pi. The hardware comes preloaded with software and there are applications to run on your Pi. The RasWIK demonstrates that with our leading edge technology anyone (we do mean anyone) can build wireless sensors and actuators. You do not need huge experience, a degree or even any tools. We show you how to connect the devices you build to your Pi and even to “the Internet of Things” (IoT) with service providers such as Xively.

Super neat add-on for the Pi. :good2:

Were up when I had a look. A$140 is not that bad a price. You could shave some of that and have some fun if you did it yourself though.

Quote sounds like Big Bang but I doubt it is. :shifty:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5048

We’ve talked before about how the camera board and the Model A are natural bedfellows. Whether you’re shooting a time lapse video or hollowing out a sweet, innocent teddy bear, the 256MB of RAM on the Model A is easily sufficient to run raspistill and raspivid, and the much lower power consumption gives you a lot more battery life for mobile applications. To allow more of you to have a play with this combination, we’ve got together with our partners to offer the two together for the bargain price of $40.

Cheap as chips.

http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/nxengine

Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story) takes place within the cavernous interior of a floating island. The island is populated by Mimigas, a race of sentient, rabbit-like humanoids.

You awaken in the cave with no memory of how you came to be there. Through your explorations you discover a plot by the evil "Doctor" who intends to enslave the Mamigas and force them to fight for him in his bid to conquer the world.

This is really one of those games that can be considered a masterpiece of game design. There are so many wonderful and classic gaming elements here.

60 fps running on the Pi. it has to be worth a free download.

:breakfast:

Guest LilBambi

Wow, was there when I posted. Closed till the 18th. Confound it,that's the most unheard of thing I ever heard of! (10 internets prize if you can identify that reference. :) )

Sounds like Senator McCarthy to the press...yep! Verified here.

• 1 month later...

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/raspberry-pi-sells-two-million-units

On its first anniversary, or near enough, the Raspberry Pi hit its one millionth sale. News also broke in the summer that 1.5 million had been sold, a million of which had been manufactured in the UK. So it comes as a pleasant surprise to hear that the Raspberry Pi has broken the magic two million mark a full three months before its second birthday.

:Hammys_pint:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Two years ago today*, the Raspberry Pi Model B went on sale, selling 100,000 units on the first day. Since then, over 2.5 million Raspberry Pis have found homes with hobbyists, children and professional engineers around the world.

The success of the Pi has allowed us to make substantial financial contributions to a range of open-source projects, including XBMC, libav, PyPy, Pixman, Wayland/Weston, Squeak, Scratch and WebKit, and we are continuing to sponsor projects like these. But it’s always felt like we have a piece of unfinished business.

But

Earlier today, Broadcom announced the release of full documentation for the VideoCore IV graphics core, and a complete source release of the graphics stack under a 3-clause BSD license. The source release targets the BCM21553 cellphone chip, but it should be reasonably straightforward to port this to the BCM2835, allowing access to the graphics core without using the blob. As an incentive to do this work, we will pay a bounty of $10,000 to the first person to demonstrate to us satisfactorily that they can successfully run Quake III at a playable framerate on Raspberry Pi using these drivers. This competition is open worldwide, and you can find competition rules here which describe what you have to do, and how to enter.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/6299

That is a decent amount of mulah :clap:

• 1 month later...