The Raspberry Pi

crp

It's running.... nothing surprising to report. It works like a champ.

I have a second one on order, and got a notification that RS Components will be sending me one of the rev 2.0 boards with 512MB of RAM...

Adam

securitybreach

In case anyone has a VGA monitor, this adapter is verified as working for the Raspberry PI:

SANOXY HDMI to VGA and Audio Converter (Support 1080P, Input HDMI, Video Output: VGA, Audio Output: 3.5 mm-outs)

Verified hardware for the PI: http://elinux.org/RP...fiedPeripherals

Review: http://www.element14...o-vga-converter

I recently bought a HDMI to VGA converter from Amazon for $27.45

SANOXY HDMI to VGA and Audio Converter (Support 1080P, Input HDMI, Video Output: VGA, Audio Output: 3.5 mm-outs)

(New, Fulfilled by Amazon, Sold by: US BIGBULL.LTD)

41IvnUDnVVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It "just worked" for me so far with no problems after a couple days of testing. I'd previously disabled overscan and did not have to make any further configuration changes. The Pi seems to automatically choose the correct resolution and ratio at bootup.

The price is now $24.98

Interesting. Do you know how well the Pi works with HDMI -> DVI adapters? The cable I have is passive, and I think all of them are this way. I am having a heck of a time finding a small(ish) monitor with HDMI.

Plenty of DVI monitors, though. I can't think of a really good reason why it would not work.

Adam

securitybreach

Adam, this should help:

HDMI->DVI-D

There are three kinds of DVI. There is DVI-D, a digital signal fully compatible with HDMI, so a passive cable can be used. There is DVI-I, which is a connector with both analog pins and digital pins. An HDMI to DVI-D adapter fits in a DVI-I female connector. Finally, there is DVI-A. This a fairly rare connection, but occasionally it will be found on some monitors and is an analog interface, in fact the same as VGA!

Some adapters like Farnell part AK-CBHD03-BK are HDMI to DVI-I, which, while not fitting in a DVI-D monitor, are still compatible. The analog pins simply must be bent.

The HDMI to DVI-D cable provided by Apple with the 2010 Mac Mini worked. It does not appear this adapter can be purchased separately.

• AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (model SK231) works and is inexpensive.
  • A generic HDMI-to-DVI converter from eBay. Works well, but it's probably the cause of some power loss between the RPi and the monitor, causing this problem. A setting of config_hdmi_boost=5 in /etc/boot solved this. Note that config_hdmi_boost=4, as suggested in the troubleshooting guide, helped but did not solve the problem completely.

http://elinux.org/RP...s#HDMI-.3EDVI-D

http://www.raspberry...hp?f=28&t=20321

securitybreach
The Raspberry Pi Foundation has won an award for skills, training and development from UK trade organisation the National Microelectronics Institute.

It won for "its low-cost PC platform and its potential to develop a generation of creative and curious individuals with a deeper understanding of technology - both hard and software", said the NMI.....

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/16/11/2012/55022/raspberry-pi-creators-get-national-award.htm

I have a Belkin HDMI to DVI-D cable. I assume it will be just fine. I don't think I'll have any issue with it.

single-dvi.jpg

That's the connector on the bottom.

Adam

securitybreach

Does anyone know what fonts are best on Raspbian as they seem a bit fuzzy. I was thinking that it may be the monitor but it looks beautiful on Debian with the old machine plugged up.

securitybreach

Ok, it is not a font setting then. It must be the values of the monitor.

Will play with it later as I am about to go eat some Turkey Day grub.....

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2012/12/14/baldur-pi/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bit-tech%2Fall+%28bit-tech.net+feed%29

Scott Brooks, a server-side architecture developer and system administrator at Beamdog, aims to resolve that lack, taking the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition source code and attempting to compile a Linux version tweaked to run on the £30 Raspberry Pi - a computer which, it must be noted, costs less than did the original boxed Baldur's Gate game at launch.

:th_wavesmile:

• Like 1

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83235

I just set up me Pi with a 1TB external hd and a old style tv to run vids. Got it to play the vids with OMXplayer with just one click by following the guide above.

The only player that will utilize the GPU acceleration is the omxplayer. It should be installed by default, but it is also so basic that it is CLI only.

Still, you don't have to open the CLI every time you want to watch a movie. You can easily add a menu shortcut and execute the player every time you click a media file:

First

Code: Select all # nano /usr/share/applications/omxplayer.desktop

Add these values:

Code: Select all [Desktop Entry]

Type=Application

Name=OMXPlayer

Categories=AudioVideo;Player;

Exec=lxterminal --command "omxplayer -o hdmi %f"

Terminal=false

Icon=/usr/share/icons/nuoveXT2/96x96/categories/applications-multimedia.png

Save and exit.

A menu icon should now be in place, and you can right click on media files and click Open with Omxplayer! Even full HD movies play just fine!

Works just fine. Though some vids will not play so I guess I will have to buy the codecs. All the You Tube clips I have play just fine. Also audio files, thats .mp3 files play through the player aswell.

Whoope now I can pack me Pi and the drive and have entertainment at me mums over xmas. :clap:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Neat links folks. Here is a very interesting one for giving a speed boost.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/raspberry-pi-gets-1ghz-turbo-boost-option-1098691

The Raspberry Pi super-cheap computer has been given a 1GHz 'turbo mode' in its latest firmware update, with the foundation insisting that the changes will not reduce the lifetime of your device.

:breakfast:

Neat links folks. Here is a very interesting one for giving a speed boost.

http://www.techradar...-option-1098691

That's been around for at least a couple of months. But the problem is, very few Pis will run stable clocked all the way to 1ghs. But most will run higher than the original 700mhz default. I haven't overclocked mine because I use it primarily as a Samba and FTP server and I'm more concerned with stability than with the small additional transfer speeds overclocking would achieve.

I run mine from a USB drive with the stripped down kernel and formatted to ext4. That has increased my transfers from about 3.5 Mbs/sec to close to 7. Overclocking doesn't seem to add very much to that.

That's been around for at least a couple of months. But the problem is, very few Pis will run stable clocked all the way to 1ghs. But most will run higher than the original 700mhz default. I haven't overclocked mine because I use it primarily as a Samba and FTP server and I'm more concerned with stability than with the small additional transfer speeds overclocking would achieve.

I run mine from a USB drive with the stripped down kernel and formatted to ext4. That has increased my transfers from about 3.5 Mbs/sec to close to 7. Overclocking doesn't seem to add very much to that.

Darn I should have looked at the date :whistling:

Are you running without a sd card then lewmur ?

Pi Camera coming soon

Once again, the Foundation is aiming for a $25 price point, and the camera board should go on sale some time early in the new year. Corporate communications lead Liz Upton says that a small mount will be available too, so that you don’t have to tape the camera to your Pi. You can if you want to, of course, because the Raspberry Pi is all about making hackable computing more accessible and letting people’s creativity run wild. 3D-printed cases and mounting hardware is nice, but they’re not a critical part of the equation.

Cool HD quality home security for £50. :clap:

That is what I thought too Ross 549. Was why Ii asked the Q.

Edited by abarbarian

Darn I should have looked at the date :whistling:

Are you running without a sd card then lewmur ?

Yes and no. You have to have the SD card with the .elf and .cfg files to start the boot process. You change a line in the cmdline.txt file to tell the boot process to look for the OS image on the USB drive and it immediately shifts to the USB drive. You can then remove the SD card. The SD slot can then be treated as an "external" drive and plug cards in and out.

http://www.paritynews.com/software/item/582-openarena-now-playable-on-raspberry-pi

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced the release of OpenArena – a multiplayer first person shooter (FPS) game based on Quake III, for Raspberry Pi.

Available as a free download the game has been rated ‘Adults Only’ because of the blood and violence. The open-source game is free to download and is powered by the ‘ioquake3’ fork of the engine that Quake III runs on – id tech 3 engine. Modifications have been made to the gameplay by removing the copyrighted material and adding new free content.

Don't you just love them pi's :th_thyippee:

• Like 1

http://www.geek.com/...-2013-20121123/

Cheap as chips home security.

Lewmur - does it run better like that ? ie smoother,faster etc. Or do you do it just for storage without the need for a powered external drive ?

It runs much better.

BTW, I just received my RK3066 based Mini PC. Cost $65 shipped with HDMI and Micro USB cables. Has built in Bluetooth and Wifi 1.6ghz Dual Core Cortex A9 CPU, 1gb RAM, 4gb Flash and SDHC slot. Comes with Android Jelly Bean but will run Linux. Doesn't have the GPIO pins or other "tinkering" features of the Pi, but for someone looking for a "media" device, it is a much better deal.

Edited by lewmur

I like the sound of the RK3066. had a quick peek at some reviews and it seems impressive. Wonder how Linux would run on it ? :breakfast:

Give me some time to play with it and I'll let you know. But it, with a dual core, 1.6ghz CPU and 1gb of RAM, I'm hoping it will be a lot better than the Pi.