The Raspberry Pi

crp

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1531

At Games Britannia in Sheffield today we announced the launch of our first programming contest for children and young people. Eventually, we plan to run contests of this sort on a weekly basis, but this one will run for eight weeks, to coincide with the school summer holidays in the northern hemisphere.

Quick summary:

• Two age categories, 13 and under, and 14 to 18.
  • A $1,000 first prize and five $200 runner-up prizes in each category.
  • The aim is simple: we want you to impress the judges with a piece of software you’ve written for the Raspberry Pi.

If you don’t already have a Raspberry Pi, you can still enter – just use one of the publicly available emulator platforms. (More details on all of this in a later post!)

:fish:

Maybe I should have been more specific. I meant actually used one on the Arch Arm as used on the Pi.

Tried Parole and Gogglesmm both load but will not play music. Have not got the time or inclination to learn about cli players. I may have to but am looking for a quick fix. Preferably a very lightweight one.

:shifty:

Are you cooking right now by the way ? :shifty:

securitybreach

Maybe I should have been more specific. I meant actually used one on the Arch Arm as used on the Pi.

Tried Parole and Gogglesmm both load but will not play music. Have not got the time or inclination to learn about cli players. I may have to but am looking for a quick fix. Preferably a very lightweight one.

Are you cooking right now by the way ? :shifty:

Perhaps the good ole tried and true xmms. It is very lightweight and it works just fine.

No I am not at work right now but I go in a few hours.

V.T. Eric Layton

Any one got a mp3 player to work in Arch ??? :breakfast:

Sure... vlc, audacious, xmms. They all work well in Arch. :)

Guest LilBambi

I am not cookin' Pi either. I am getting ready for our show tonight. :yes:

Been a very busy couple of weeks for me. Finally got a day off.

Guest LilBambi
Raspbian “wheezy”

If you’re just starting out, this is the image we recommend you use. It’s a reference root filesystem from Alex and Dom, based on the Raspbian optimised version of Debian, and containing LXDE, Midori, development tools and example source code for multimedia functions.

Very cool Peachy! :thumbsup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18900862

A Raspberry Pi computer has boldly gone where no other Pi has gone before.

High-altitude ballooning enthusiast Dave Akerman tethered one, complete with a webcam to photograph its progress, to a helium balloon.

The bare-bones computer managed to reach an altitude of almost 25 miles (40km) before the balloon popped and it returned to Earth.

The Pi sent live images throughout the flight and was safely retrieved by tracking its onboard radio transmitter.

:worthy:

In Arch Arm moc works really well with a nice clear sound from the audio jack. I'm using a Class 10 card with a few overclock tweaks and I must say the little old Pi runs quite sweetly.

On Arch Arm Parole player plays .mp3 files and outputs ound from .avi and .flv video files. Just need to get some moving pictures now. The sound is clear and crisp with non of the crackling mentioned in th Pi forums. Mind you that is in Arch so it is no suprise. :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Someone keeps your residence very clean. I wouldn't dare post close-up under furniture shots like that of anwhere in my house. ;)

Running Raspbian "Wheezy" official build now. WiFi working once I found an updated driver. ssh server on and omxplayer installed by default. Played an .mp4 over the WiFi from a Samba share. Wow! Amazing video quality over HDMI (1080p). The hardware-float build is amazingly fast. I tried overclocking this thing but could never get it to boot stably.

Someone keeps your residence very clean. I wouldn't dare post close-up under furniture shots like that of anwhere in my house. ;)

That would be me. The small photo shoot area ahd its first deep clean for six months. I normally whisk round once a week with a hoover with me headphones on. :breakfast:

Peachy nice to have first hand knowledge of Raspbian. Was it plug and play or was there a lot of setup to do ? :shifty:

Peachy nice to have first hand knowledge of Raspbian. Was it plug and play or was there a lot of setup to do ? :shifty:

Pretty much plug and play. The only thing to fiddle with was the WiFi but that was trivial. I did have an issue with installing tightvncserver at first. apt complained that one of the packages couldn't install because of a bad script. A few Google searchers later I inferred a fix and that solved the problem. Doesn't seem to affect the system adversely doing what I did.

As to overclocking Peachy mine is running with

850 arm, 350 core, and 500 sdram

Had no problems so far and it gives me a nice little boost. That is on Arch though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-brief/65611-video-this-raspberry-pi-conducts-surveillance-missions

The Raspberry Pi has tipped up in a number of geek-related projects, including one where the bare-bones board was selected to power a model sailboat across the stormy Atlantic Ocean.

Not to be outdone, an aerospace engineer known as "Algorhythmic" is currently using the Raspberry Pi to power a remote-controlled truck equipped with a night vision video camera - which was apparently designed to conduct nocturnal surveillance missions.

:breakfast:

That keyboard jobby is neat , dead neat. :cool:

Now I just need to buy one so I have something to play with ;)

Mebees some kind philanthropist will send you one :zorro:

In other news,

http://www.h-online....le-1676578.html

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has made additional video codec licences for the mini-computer board available for sale. The MPEG-2 decode licence costs £2.40 (about €3); the decode licence for the VC-1 Microsoft codec is £1.20 (about €1.50). Both licences are available in the Raspberry Pi Store and must be linked to a serial number from a Raspberry Pi's Broadcom chipset, which must be provided during the ordering process. This offer is the company's response to criticism from some of its users who wanted to use the mini-computer as a media centre.

Those who turned their Raspberry Pi into a media centre using, for example, OpenELEC or Raspbmc, quickly found out that the screen stayed black for MPEG-2 and other videos. In its blog the Foundation explains that they skipped the licences in order to keep the sales price at $25 or $35, but underestimated the amount of interest in using the computer for media. Out of the box, the BCM2708 chipset in the Raspberry Pi therefore only processes the H.264 format in hardware; the 700MHz ARM processor is too weak for a pure software codec solution, which greatly limits usefulness as a multimedia client.

In the course of research on licence issues, the Raspberry Pi Foundation was surprised to find out that current standard licensing allows not only the decoding, but also the encoding of H.264 in hardware; support will be enabled in future software updates.

Neat. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian