Tell Us About Your Mac!

bjf123

Guest LilBambi

They took firewire support from the new iPods? If so, that's sad and doesn't sound like a wise move ... unless Apple intends to discontinue firewire for some reason ... but why would they do that when it's the fastest ports available really.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• teacher

• ross549

• inform

Guest LilBambi

Well, I will just post this:

In the very near future, the FireWire specification will increase speeds to 800 and then 1600 Mbps and finally top out somewhere around 3.2 Gbps (gigabits per second) in the next few years. In comparison, the current implementation of USB runs at 1.5 to 12 Mbps, too slow for any video capabilities, and USB 2.0, will top out at 480 Mbps. You’ll want to read the USB article to get the skinny on USB 2.0.
From this article:Want speed? FireWire has it!http://www.powerthinkinginc.com/New%20Pages/article6.htmlThe aren't going to do that now?

I doubt they would, since no one is really using firewire 800, and 90% of the PCs out there have USB 2.0. I'd bet the hard drive in an ipod is not very fast anyway. Do you know anyone with firewire 800 ports on their PC?

Jeremy Avalon

... "CAUTION: Slippery With Drool." :)Yes, the one problem with owning such high-quality machines is we can't all afford to keep upgrading them.

Edited by Jeremy Avalon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

The Mini's here!! I am playing with it and having a blast!It's already got OS X Tiger too! :thumbsup:Boy is this guy fast for being a PowerPC G4 1.42Ghz with 32MB ATI video and 1GB RAM!They really did an awesome job on these! B)

• 1 month later...

Hi all . . .Been a Mac guy since Feb. 1984. Owned almost every model. Current list as follows:PowerMac G5 2.3 Ghz Dual Processor, 250 GB SATA HD, 6 GB RAM, Airport Extreme, Superdrive, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, Firewire 400. Firewire 800, ATI Radeon 9650 w/ 256 MB VRAM, 500 GB Ext. SATA HD, Mac OSX 10.4.7, Virtual PC running Windows XP Pro SP2MacBook 2.0 Ghz Core Duo Intel Processor (Black), 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Superdrive, Mac OSX 10.4.7, Parallels running Windows 2000 Pro.Twentieth Anniversary Mac with Sonnet G3 Upgrade, 256 MB RAM, Ethernet cardPowerBook 180Mac Classic IIMac LCPowerMac 7200a couple more . . .

• 2 months later...

I've owned Mac's and PC's since the Apple II+ and an 8086 pc with twin 5.25" floppy drives running MS-DOS 2.11. And while I've never owned a mainframe, I've worked on a few of those too.My current Mac is a 17" iMac 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. It is also my Windows XP Pro computer. I use Parallels to run Windows on my Mac. With the new coherence feature, Windows applications just part of the Mac. Parallels provided this upgrade free. It was significant enough they could have nicked me for a few bucks, but they didn't. Thanks Parallels.I find it interesting that some people will look at both platforms and come to the conclusion that OS X is a vastly different product than Windows XP or Vista, yet others don't see an appreciable difference between the two. I think there is some job security issues at work here that cause some people to not want to accept the difference. But there's a group of people that get it, and another group that doesn't. It's not related to technical knowledge or ability. Many novices get it, many don't. Many savvy technicians get it, many don't.I think I've got the best of both worlds with my iMac.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Report: Apple will begin selling Macs with its own processors in 202112-core chips for the Mac based on the 2020 iPhone's A14 are in the works.

A new report from Bloomberg cites sources close to Apple who say that Apple is on track to introduce Macs running Apple-made CPUs and GPUs in 2021. The chips the company is developing are codenamed Kalamata.

This is very interesting and will certainly cause substantial changes in the pc world if these new cpu's perform well.

🧐

• 1 year later...

My main personal machine is the 13 inch M1 Mac Pro. I like it a lot!

For work I've been using a 15inch Mac Pro for a few years - I got one last year just before the M1 Pro chips came out though, so I'm not due for an upgrade on my work machine for a year or two.

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2013 model running macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).  It's not the latest and greatest compared to newer models but it still performs reliable.