Toshiba Satelite Win7 64 Bit Will not boot

ichase

I agree, that was my plan if he plans to restore OS which seems like the only option. Now let me ask this question. Hypothetical. Owner buys and receives Toshiba OS restore disks. I nuke the entire HDD using Darek's Boot and Nuke. Format to NTFS. Reboot to Toshiba OS restore disk. With the drive being Nuked and reformated to NTFS, will the Toshiba restore disks still restore the system or will nuking it and reformatting it cause the restore not to recognize the current configuration?

I have never tried this before. I have installed new OS from Windows OS disk but not from a manufacture restore disks aftering nuking.

Opinions? Thanks.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ichase

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Corrine

• jcgriff2

It should work that way.

I have never used Toshiba restore discs but my Lenovo restore discs work that way.

Lenovo actually wants you to do a low level disc wipe prior to running restore.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Temmu is right! And of course you do want to take that option. Or just nuke then create a partition but don't format and still let the Recovery Disks do their 'everything will be lost' deal. ;)

:hysterical:

Or just nuke then create a partition but don't format and still let the Recovery Disks do their 'everything will be lost' deal. ;)

:hysterical:

Its probably me Fran, but could you rephrase that sentence because you lost me. :">

Guest LilBambi

Sorry Ian...just got home after a long appt and feeling a bit fried LOL!

I meant to go ahead and 'nuke the entire HDD using Darek's Boot and Nuke' but then NOT format it at all. Then use the Recovery disks.

John, while I have you here, you mentioned Driver Analyser and I clicked on the link. With the inability to boot into the OS, can this be run from an ISO or from command prompt? I am able to get into command prompt from the Win7 Recovery CD. I used that at the beginning to run checkdsk /r

Driver Verifier cannot be run via boot disc. D/V stress-tests drivers and if it finds a violation that could result in a BSOD, it will flag (disable) the driver.

It runs in the background while you use the system. There are line commands, but AFAIK, they cannot be run from WinRE command line.

There are variants of the TDSS rootkit that can patch volsnap.sys.

Very true indeed. I remember in ~2010/11 when iastor.sys was hit, but Driver Verifier flushed these out quickly.

Time is $$$. Nuke 'em! ;)

Always my preferred course of action!

Vista/ Windows 7 install via OEM recovery disc takes ~45-75 minutes.

Full retail Windows 7 USB install <15 minutes.

Granted additional time needed for Windows Updates, app reinstalls, file copy, a few driver updates, but it all goes so quick.

@Fran - Ok that made more sense. :) Appt? Hope everything is ok. :)

@John - Sounds good. Will find out tomorrow what the owner wants to do. He will just be happy I saved his 26 GB of not so family friendly material IYKWIM?

V.T. Eric Layton

I tease a lot when it comes to MS Windows products, as you've probably noticed, J.C. It's all in good fun, I assure you. I am not one of those with animosity toward MS. I don't run their products as my primary computing tools these days, but I had a lot of fun back in my MS Win days. I envy you your in-depth knowledge of that operating system. As stated many posts back here, my lack of knowledge limits me in my attempts to fix MS Win systems. The BIG HAMMER does work quite efficiently, though.

Regards,

~Eric

Guest LilBambi
@Fran - Ok that made more sense. :) Appt? Hope everything is ok. :)

Oh, yeah. Everything went great but it was 1.5HRS each way, and 4 hrs upgrading, installing, configuring....just wore me out. I am still having issues with my energy levels after the sinus infection/bronchitis recently. That's all.

I tease a lot when it comes to MS Windows products, as you've probably noticed, J.C. It's all in good fun, I assure you. I am not one of those with animosity toward MS. I don't run their products as my primary computing tools these days, but I had a lot of fun back in my MS Win days. I envy you your in-depth knowledge of that operating system. As stated many posts back here, my lack of knowledge limits me in my attempts to fix MS Win systems. The BIG HAMMER does work quite efficiently, though.

Regards,

~Eric

Hi Eric. . .

I certainly understand all is in good fun. I believeve that one should use whatever hardware, OS and software that is the most convenient and suits your needs.

I consider myself rather lucky to have entered this "World of Windows" late in the game. I learned Windows under Vista just about 4 years ago, never having to go through the growing pains of prior NT builds that I have heard many stories about, including DLL ****.

I was in Corporate Finance, Accounting Policy (FASB), Tax and Law for the last ~20 years since college. I used PCs and laptops, but only to access Government, Tax and Law mainframe DBs. I never went behind the Windows Desktop until late 2007 when I encountered my very first BSOD - never knew of them; never heard of one before that. Fujitsu was unable to resolve the BSODs, so I ended up learning just enough of kernel debugging and solved it on my own (outdated Intel 4965 AGN wifi driver!). I was then hooked and have yet come up for air, leaving the accounting world behind, although I still get involved in Federal income, State and Local Sales & Use Tax and Payroll audits/ tax returns.

I have several friends in California who swear by their MACs for their graphic design businesses. I know nothing about MACs, but they are thrilled with them and that's all that matters.

As for BSODs, these are my 2 favorite video clips -

I did something very similar to this when checking into a hotel when a BSOD occurred during check-in (6m36s) - no one else seemed quite as excited as I was rolleyes.gif -

Anyway, we each have our own preferences to get done what we need to do.

Kind Regards. . .

John

Edited by jcgriff2

Well John, for one, I am pretty impressed with your skill level only getting under the hood of Windows just 5 years ago. I have been using MS since DOS days writing batch files then on to Windows 3.1. I to (if you can't tell by the signature and avatar) have moved on to Linux but have tried to keep up with Windows because I still enjoy figuring out and fixing what is wrong. You have inspired me to get deeper into learning kernel debugging after this issue. It will certainly make me a better tech for my customers. But with that being said, MY primary OS will continue to be Linux. ;) You should give it a test drive sometime. ;) I truely beleive you have the technical aptitude to really enjoy it.

Thanks again for all of the help and guidance you have provided me with this issue.

All the best to you,

Ian

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHA! Great vids!

And yes...

"...one should use whatever hardware, OS and software that is the most convenient and suits your needs."

Absolutely! This is most definitely my philosophy on this. Everyone around here has seen me write, "What's best for you is what's best."

Scot's needs a some added weight to the MS Win side of the board. Your presence here is most welcome!

Have fun!

~Eric

V.T. Eric Layton

Corrine,

You need to be out beating the streets and recruiting some of your MS Win chums to come join us here at Scot's. :yes:

Thanks Corrine!!! :thumbsup:

It's great to have John here! :yes:

I concur. John is a wealth of knowledge and his willingness to help makes him a great fit at SNLFs. :thumbup: