• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owyn

• Bruno

• ross549

• zox

Top Posters In This Topic

Owyn.... found something else that I am noticing...Kmid is simply not playing MIDI's..... suspecting the wrong sound driver is loading..
Adam:I noticed that the awesfx package is available in the apt repository.You might want to try that plus switching to the snd-emu10k1 driver from a HD install.

Update on BUG number 1 . . . This only happens if the filemanager opens on the /boot directory . . . if the default is /home/bruno the CPU is okay . . . once open and switching to /boot . . the CPU jumps to 99% again.
Bruno:I could not reproduce this problem from my hd install. Tested as guest.Is anyone else seeing the problem?

Bruno et al:For a real treat.KDE->Configuration->Packaging->SynapticUpdate ListInstall GaleonAnd ThenCheck Help->About Plugins in Galeon. What a packager.Tx Tex.

Update on BUG number 1 . . . This only happens if the filemanager opens on the /boot directory . . . if the default is /home/bruno the CPU is okay . . . once open and switching to /boot . . the CPU jumps to 99% again.
Bruno:I could not reproduce this problem from my hd install. Tested as guest.Is anyone else seeing the problem?
I couldn't reproduce it either, but I did only livecd testing without hd install.

If you can make pclinuxOS run better than Mandrake, I'll get rid of Mandrake and use that instead! One thing that I am looking for is if it can handle outboard hard drives, connected to Firewire or USB ports. I've been wanting to install another version of Linux into this drive, but the support for removable drives has been very sparce.Also the other thing is, the support for Creative Labs [sound Blaster Live! Value] cards. Oh, and the upcoming thing is the support for Webcams. Okay, now I'll close, since I have added my 2bits of a Christmas wish list for a fully operatonal Linux OS. :unsure:

Hi Owyn . . let me explain how and what: . . . The very first thing I always do with the Konqueror filemanager is "Window --> Show Navigation Panel" . . . in that navigation panel you will see a red colored folder, as you click on the folder you will see the / tree, then as I click on the /boot directory ( or any other ) the main panel changes to /boot and the spinner in the top-right corner keeps spinning ( never stops ) . . . . then as I look on my Gkrellm monitor I see the CPU on 99% . .and it stays there . . . ;);) Bruno

Bruno et al:For a real treat.KDE->Configuration->Packaging->SynapticUpdate ListInstall GaleonAnd ThenCheck Help->About Plugins in Galeon. What a packager.Tx Tex.
Owyn . . . . . . . brilliant . . . . this is a dream come true . . . . ( or in other words one nightmare topic on the forum less ! ;) ) . . . . the full list of plugins is there . . . . . this can put an end to all the Java-issues we had here recently . . . !!!Tex sure has the art of packaging mastered . . . :) . . . . . now only if everybody would switch to PCLosOS we would be a hapy group of penguins !!:) BrunoPS: There are a lot more fine things in that package list :)

PART 2Also this is the perfect version of Galeon ! With the extended preferences dialog and the "100%" box in the toolbar !A Very Happy Penguin !! :) :DB) BrunoPS: just installed anacron as well :) . . . . . and the Gkrellm plugins . . . . . ;)

I was blown away by synaptic.You have to admit it just rocks.Praises to Texstar for ditching urpmi and getting this instead ;) This is what it should look like, much better then Windows world will ever see.Ok, now onto topic.Owyn, I think that ATI driver is screwed up or there is something wrong with it.Last night I couldn't boot from CD at all on my PC.Well, I could boot up but it wouldn't lunch X.It gave me "bla bla.. can't run in 16bit mode.."Wierd thing is, night before I booted several times on same machine without any problems whatsoever and I don't think my CD changed overnight :) Anyway, I managed to boot up fine with xbpp=24.I did HD install without problems at all, clap clap BRAVO!!Except I was really tired and instead of going to hdh7, partition prepared for Pclos, I went to hdh1 and overwrote my mandrake :) ouch..Anyway, now I am glad I did.HD install went fine and it was done in 15 minutes or so.The only gripe I have with install routine this time is it didn't pick up my Windows so it doesn't show up in lilo, only PClos.I'll have to do it manually, other then that HD install went fine.As I mentioned there is something wrong with ATI driver, at least on my ATI Radeon 8500.I've seen it on liveCD as well but it was same after hd install.I went through lot of systems on that same PC and never had issues with screen.On this version my screen is moved quarter of inch approx. to the right.Now I have 1/25" black bar on the left side of the screen and then screen actually start, just to finish that much out of visible area, so all the x-es on maximized windows are not accessible.My native resolution is 1280x1024 and that is what I use.I told you before there are some artifacts and these are actually lines, blue lines that go through toolbars of konqueror and mozilla.Wierd part is there are no lines in Firebird :) This all led me to believe that ATI driver is @#$!#$.Anyhow, I will keep posting my results after thorough use as it is now my primary system :)

Oh, yeah, just to add that we should get texstar to make thunderbird rpm as well and make it into CD or at least on repository.He's got everything Mozilla except Thunderbird and that is my favorite mail client o:)Eventually, it wouldn't hurt to get some eye candy either, like Gdesklets and Karamba in synaptic.3Ddesktop, etc...------Now I remembered also that when I boot from CD at home, I get black screen with "boot:" on the bottom where I tried at work and when I boot I get the actual instructions on screen about PCLOS and "boot:" on bottom.Possibly framebuffer problem again with ATI driver or something?? ;)

Edited by zox

PART 2Also this is the perfect version of Galeon ! With the extended preferences dialog and the "100%" box in the toolbar !A Very Happy Penguin !! :) :DB) BrunoPS: just installed anacron as well :) . . . . . and the Gkrellm plugins . . . . . ;)
LOL. The perfect answer to what do you get a Galeon fan for Xmas.

I was blown away by synaptic.You have to admit it just rocks.Praises to Texstar for ditching urpmi and getting this instead  ;) This is what it should look like, much better then Windows world will ever see.
Yep. Works very well. Unified interface and it avoids the problem of adding packages from urpmi repositories which could break PCLos HD installs.Best part of course is the packages which Tex has for PCLos.
Ok, now onto topic.Owyn, I think that ATI driver is screwed up or there is something wrong with it.Last night I couldn't boot from CD at all on my PC.Well, I could boot up but it wouldn't lunch X.It gave me "bla bla.. can't run in 16bit mode.."Wierd thing is, night before I booted several times on same machine without any problems whatsoever and I don't think my CD changed overnight  :) Anyway, I managed to boot up fine with xbpp=24.
Just to confirm. ATI 8500 needs xbpp=24 to boot from CD.
I did HD install without problems at all, clap clap BRAVO!!Except I was really tired and instead of going to hdh7, partition prepared for Pclos, I went to hdh1 and overwrote my mandrake :) ouch..Anyway, now I am glad I did.HD install went fine and it was done in 15 minutes or so.The only gripe I have with install routine this time is it didn't pick up my Windows so it doesn't show up in lilo, only PClos.I'll have to do it manually, other then that HD install went fine.
Known problem with this version of installer.Tip added re. restoring Windows boot.
As I mentioned there is something wrong with ATI driver, at least on my ATI Radeon 8500.I've seen it on liveCD as well but it was same after hd install.I went through lot of systems on that same PC and never had issues with screen.On this version my screen is moved quarter of inch approx. to the right.Now I have 1/25" black bar on the left side of the screen and then screen actually start, just to finish that much out of visible area, so all the x-es on maximized windows are not accessible.My native resolution is 1280x1024 and that is what I use.
According to my records you had to use xres=1280x1024 xbpp=24 for PV4.Blackscreen if you tried to adjust interactively.I will post a tip shortly (well as soon as I can test it) on using XFDrake with PCLos. Should help with your problems.
I told you before there are some artifacts and these are actually lines, blue lines that go through toolbars of konqueror and mozilla.Wierd part is there are no lines in Firebird :) This all led me to believe that ATI driver is @#$!#$.
Please post a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Anyhow, I will keep posting my results after thorough use as it is now my primary system :)
Every silver lining has a cloud.

Oh, yeah, just to add that we should get texstar to make thunderbird rpm as well and make it into CD or at least on repository.He's got everything Mozilla except Thunderbird and that is my favorite mail client o:)Eventually, it wouldn't hurt to get some eye candy either, like Gdesklets and Karamba in synaptic.3Ddesktop, etc...
I started a new thread for PCLos package wish list. Post your recommendations.
Now I remembered also that when I boot from CD at home, I get black screen with "boot:" on the bottom where I tried at work and when I boot I get the actual instructions on screen about PCLOS and "boot:" on bottom.Possibly framebuffer problem again with ATI driver or something?? ;)
Try "livecd vga=normal"

Hi OwynYou will be happy to know I just did a HD install on my main system too . . :) :) . . . so here are the results:

[bruno@jupiter bruno]$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf/usr/X11R6/lib/usr/lib/qt3/lib/usr/lib/ati/lib/usr/lib/nvidia/lib

[bruno@jupiter bruno]$ glxgears --info4318 frames in 5.0 seconds = 863.600 FPS4265 frames in 5.0 seconds = 853.000 FPS4292 frames in 5.0 seconds = 858.400 FPS4341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 868.200 FPS4373 frames in 5.0 seconds = 874.600 FPS4260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 852.000 FPS

( think this is better then Live, also it does not give all the code before the numbers, this is exactly the output nothing was edited out. )

[bruno@jupiter bruno]$ soundchk.shsoundchk.sh v1.02 - Running Sound Configuration ChecksIdentifying SystemLinux jupiter.lan 2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk #1 Fri Dec 19 02:01:35 CET 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxChecking Deviceslr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Jan 24 19:33 adsp -> sound/adsplr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           11 Jan 24 19:33 audio -> sound/audiolr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            9 Jan 24 19:33 dsp -> sound/dsplr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           11 Jan 24 19:33 mixer -> sound/mixerlr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           15 Jan 24 19:33 sequencer -> sound/sequencerlr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           16 Jan 24 19:33 sequencer2 -> sound/sequencer2drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 soundChecking Driversnd-intel8x0    : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]|SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1039 device:7012 subv:1019 subd:0a14)Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf)alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-ossoptions snd-card-intel8x0 snd_ac97_clock=41194Checking if Module Loadedsnd-seq-oss            30208   0 (unused)snd-seq-midi-event      6144   0 [snd-seq-oss]snd-seq                44656   2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]snd-pcm-oss            43076   1snd-mixer-oss          13712   0 [snd-pcm-oss]snd-intel8x0           21864   1snd-ac97-codec         52588   0 [snd-intel8x0]snd-pcm                79684   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]snd-timer              18628   0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]snd-mpu401-uart         4704   0 [snd-intel8x0]snd-rawmidi            17312   0 [snd-mpu401-uart]snd-seq-device          5536   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]gameport                3284   0 [snd-intel8x0]snd-page-alloc          8628   0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]snd                    43972   0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]soundcore               6276   0 [snd]Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3Checking if Sound services configuredsound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Alsa service configuredalsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Sound Volume mutedvol 68, 68, Ppcm 87, 87speaker 0, 0line 0, 0, Pmic 0, 0, Rcd 77, 77, Pigain 0, 0line1 0, 0, Pphin 0, 0, Pvideo 0, 0, PChecking which program uses the sound card                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND/dev/dsp             bruno      2523 f....  xmms                     bruno      2524 f....  xmms                     bruno      2525 f....  xmms                     bruno      2528 f....  xmms                     bruno      2530 f....  xmms                     bruno      2531 f....  xmmsEnd of Checks

:) :o Bruno

LOL . . . . .

[bruno@jupiter bruno]$ glxgears -infoGL_RENDERER   = GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!GL_VERSION    = 1.4.1 NVIDIA 53.28GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA CorporationGL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NVX_ycrcb GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_slice_accum3683 frames in 5.0 seconds = 736.600 FPS4246 frames in 5.0 seconds = 849.200 FPS4235 frames in 5.0 seconds = 847.000 FPS4123 frames in 5.0 seconds = 824.600 FPS4165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 833.000 FPS4237 frames in 5.0 seconds = 847.400 FPS

:) Bruno

> Tried installing PV5, but the first time, process stopped at 100% (all> 3 progress bars), with "Creating /etc/fstab" in the Progress Info box.If you get "Creating /etc/fstab" AND the NEXT button is available for clicking means it is ready to go to the next step. This seems to be a little confusing to some people as they see the "Creating /etc/fstab" and are waiting for some other message saying "Complete! Click next to continue".
Also updated tip.

Here is XF86free-4:

# File generated by XFdrake.# **********************************************************************# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "Files"    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of    # the X server to render fonts.    FontPath "unix/:-1"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags"    #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)    #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't workEndSectionSection "Module"    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux    Load "extmod"    Load "type1"    Load "freetype"    Load "glx" # 3D layer    Load "dri" # direct renderingEndSectionSection "DRI"    Mode 0666EndSectionSection "InputDevice"    Identifier "Keyboard1"    Driver "Keyboard"    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"    Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"    Option "XkbOptions" ""EndSectionSection "InputDevice"    Identifier "Mouse1"    Driver "mouse"    Option "Protocol" "auto"    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"EndSectionSection "Monitor"    Identifier "monitor1"    VendorName "Plug'n Play"    HorizSync 31-80    VertRefresh 56-75        # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?    # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync    ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync        # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync    ModeLine "768x576"  50.00  768  832  846 1000 576  590  595  630        # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync    ModeLine "768x576"  63.07  768  800  960 1024 576  578  590  616EndSectionSection "Device"    Identifier "device1"    VendorName "ATI"    BoardName "ATI Radeon (fglrx)"    Driver "fglrx"    Option "DPMS"        # === disable PnP Monitor  ===    #Option                              "NoDDC"    # === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===    Option "no_accel"                "no"    Option "no_dri"                  "no"    # === FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ===    # === Screen Management ===    Option "DesktopSetup"            "0x00000000"     Option "MonitorLayout"              "AUTO, AUTO"    Option "IgnoreEDID"              "off"    Option "HSync2"                  "unspecified"     Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified"     Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"     # === TV-out Management ===    Option "NoTV"                    "yes"      Option "TVStandard"              "NTSC-M"      Option "TVHSizeAdj"              "0"      Option "TVVSizeAdj"              "0"      Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"      Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"      Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"      Option "TVColorAdj"              "0"      Option "GammaCorrectionI"        "0x00000000"    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"    # === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===    Option "Capabilities"            "0x00000000"    # === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===    Option "VideoOverlay"            "on"    # === OpenGL Overlay ===    # Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay    #    will be disabled automatically    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"    Option "CenterMode"              "off"    # === QBS Support ===    Option "Stereo"                  "off"    Option "StereoSyncEnable"        "1"    # === Misc Options ===    Option "UseFastTLS"              "0"    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"      "on"    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"      "no"    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"    # === FSAA ===    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"    Option "FSAADisableGamma"        "no"    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"      "no"    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"EndSectionSection "Screen"    Identifier "screen1"    Device "device1"    Monitor "monitor1"    DefaultColorDepth 24        Subsection "Display"        Depth 8        Virtual 1280 1024    EndSubsection        Subsection "Display"        Depth 15        Virtual 1280 1024    EndSubsection        Subsection "Display"        Depth 16        Virtual 1280 1024    EndSubsection        Subsection "Display"        Depth 24        Virtual 1280 1024    EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout"    Identifier "layout1"    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"    Screen "screen1"EndSection

Does not like my Diamond Stealth 540 - 32MB video display adapter. I was wondering why Login box was so plain - and why colors were 'bleeding' in KDE.Put in a old NVidia TnT2 Riva 32MB - from CD boot - heh, a real Login screen. LOL :url: Will do HD install and report later today.

Does not like my Diamond Stealth 540 - 32MB video display adapter. I was wondering why Login box was so plain - and why colors were 'bleeding' in KDE.
We should take a look at this again later. Have to do some research first.
Put in a old NVidia TnT2 Riva 32MB - from CD boot - heh, a real Login screen. LOL :lol:
Nice to have the option of using another card. I use a Riva 64 on my desktop system and have never had a problem with it using "nv" driver. Not the fastest card, but very well supported. And, PCLos boots with "nvidia", even better.
Will do HD install and report later today.
Tx

Owyn,Hard disk install went fine - no problems to report.Sound works OK.And my 'cube' rotates fine and cpu usage is also working. Results of glxgears -info test[guest@localhost guest]$ glxgears -infoGL_RENDERER = RIVA TNT2/AGP/SSEGL_VERSION = 1.4.1 NVIDIA 53.28GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA CorporationGL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SUN_slice_accum328 frames in 5.0 seconds = 65.600 FPS332 frames in 5.0 seconds = 66.400 FPS334 frames in 5.0 seconds = 66.800 FPS341 frames in 5.0 seconds = 68.200 FPS332 frames in 5.0 seconds = 66.400 FPS333 frames in 5.0 seconds = 66.600 FPS325 frames in 5.0 seconds = 65.000 FPSX connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).[guest@localhost guest]$ :w00t:

Owyn - results of sound check.[guest@localhost guest]$ suPassword:[root@localhost guest]# # soundchk.sh[root@localhost guest]# soundchk.shsoundchk.sh v1.02 - Running Sound Configuration ChecksIdentifying SystemLinux localhost 2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk #1 Fri Dec 19 02:01:35 CET 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxChecking Deviceslr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 9 Jan 25 16:16 dsp -> sound/dsplr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Jan 25 16:16 midi -> sound/midilr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 11 Jan 25 16:16 mixer -> sound/mixerdrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 soundlr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 15 Jan 25 16:16 unknown15 -> sound/unknown15Checking Driversnd-es1938 : ESS Technology|ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:125d device:1969 subv:125d subd:8888)Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf)alias sound-slot-0 esssolo1above snd-es1938 snd-pcm-ossChecking if Module Loadedsoundcore 6276 0 [esssolo1]gameport 3284 0 [esssolo1]Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3Checking if Sound services configuredsound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:offChecking if Alsa service configuredalsa 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:offChecking if Sound Volume mutedvol 56, 56, Psynth 82, 82pcm 80, 80speaker 67, 67line 67, 67, Pmic 0, 0, Rcd 80, 80, Prec 64, 64line1 67, 67line2 64, 64Checking which program uses the sound cardEnd of Checks[root@localhost guest]#

[guest@localhost guest]$ suPassword:Owyn - This is the system I installed on:[root@localhost guest]# lspcidrakeagpgart : Intel Corporation|440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge [bRIDGE_HOST]unknown : Intel Corporation|440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge [bRIDGE_PCI]unknown : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 ISA [bRIDGE_ISA]unknown : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 IDE [sTORAGE_IDE]usb-uhci : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 USB [sERIAL_USB]sonypi : Intel Corporation|82371AB PIIX4 ACPI - Bus Master IDE Controller [bRIDGE_OTHER]8139too : D-Link Inc|DFE 538 TX [NETWORK_ETHERNET]unknown : CONEXANT|56K Winmodem [COMMUNICATION_OTHER]snd-es1938 : ESS Technology|ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO]hptraid : Triones|HPT366 [sTORAGE_OTHER]hptraid : Triones|HPT366 [sTORAGE_OTHER]Card:RIVA TNT2 : nVidia Corporation|Riva TNT2 Model 64 [DISPLAY_VGA]unknown : Unknown|USB UHCI Root Hub [Hub][root@localhost guest]#

Hi OwynJust added the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and unconmmented my favorite source . . .:'( . . . did "Update List" and saw an bundle of new packages . . . Great !! ( 2430 packages listed, 839 installed :lol: )Now here is the question: does the "Upgrade System" button work and only update the system with Tex-packages without corrupting the system ??:'( Bruno

Just added the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and unconmmented my favorite source . . .:'( . . . did "Update List" and saw an bundle of new packages . . . Great !! ( 2430 packages listed, 839 installed :'( )
Install away. Tex needs to have the repository tested. eg. The galeon package had to be fixed before I announced it here.Let me know if you get ANY warnings/errors from installs.
Now here is the question: does the "Upgrade System" button work and only update the system with Tex-packages without corrupting the system ??
It should, but I have not tested that specific function.I have been installing upgrades by changing filter in synaptic to "upgradeable packages" and installing individually.I wanted to review the individual changes before continueing.So, test away. :devil:PS: I thought I did leave your favourite mirror un-commented.

Now here is the question: does the "Upgrade System" button work and only update the system with Tex-packages without corrupting the system ??
It should, but I have not tested that specific function.
It's tested . . . 11 packages updated + 2 extra needed by updater . . . 100% Perfect ! :'( :D
PS: I thought I did leave your favourite mirror un-commented.
Indeed you had . . :'( . . how did you know it was my favorite ?? :lol::D Bruno

PART 2Also this is the perfect version of Galeon ! With the extended preferences dialog and the "100%" box in the toolbar !A Very Happy Penguin !! :'( :P
Just happened to do an add bookmark with Galeon.It has a proper add bookmark dialog!!!! :o :o :o