Suggestions for Gmail Alternatives

V.T. Eric Layton

He means you can register a domain, say plodr.com, with a domain registrations site like GoDaddy for about $15/year. However, you would also need to pay for a server provider to host your website and email. That can be done relatively cheaply, too. Companies like Green Geeks are pretty inexpensive.

Sadly, for someone like myself with ZERO disposable income at the moment, this is not an option.

You don't have to have a website. If you register a domain with Godaddy, they will give you an email account at that domain at no additional cost. You then use Godaddy's pop3 and smtp servers to get and send mail. IOW, if you register "me.com" and set up your email as "me@me.com", you can then use kmail, thunderbird or whatever email client you want to use to send and receive email to/from "me@me.com". The total cost per year is just the $7 to $15 cost of registering the domain. The registration cost varies depending on whether it's a .com, .info, etc.

V.T. Eric Layton
You don't have to have a website. If you register a domain with Godaddy, they will give you an email account at that domain at no additional cost. You then use Godaddy's pop3 and smtp servers to get and send mail.

I didn't know that.

If you are not familiar with running a web-facing server, than I do not recommend this route. Running a server on a local network, behind a router is not a big deal. However, running one open and exposed to the internet is another thing entirely. There are many issues to consider.

On the same note, most ISPs will not permit the hosting of a server.

Adam

True. And you're right about ISPs not allowing it. I don't think Verizon will let you operate a server on a plain jane residential account.