Temmu

"do not track" initiative

Microsoft introduced Tracking Protection Lists (TPL) with IE9. (My tutorial at Internet Explorer 9, Privacy and Security Enhancements.)

On December 1, 2010, the FTC released a preliminary report entitled "Protecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change". The one hundred twenty-two (122) page PDF file is available for download at http://www.ftc.gov/os/2010/12/101201privacyreport.pdf ). Briefly, the FTC report provides a broad framework centered on three concepts: privacy by design, simplified choice, and greater transparency.

Fast forward to today, see this topic in the Social Media forum: Stop Online Privacy Act - SOPA.

Using the option in FF since it first came out. Never use IE9 haven't even got it installed. B)

Adam and I were talking about this on the show Saturday evening. It should be done by user choice only. Not by default on any browser. If not, it could be killed entirely because of the butthead advertisers and marketing lobbyists...haven't we seen them get their way ... way too many times!

Microsoft ticks off advertisers with IE10 'Do Not Track' policy - CNET

The DAA is asserting that Microsoft's decision about IE10 runs counter to the agreement set up earlier this year with the White House, as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Stu Ingis, general counsel for the DAA, told the Journal that Microsoft's decision is "unilateral" and one that "raises a lot of concern." Advertisers support the policy as long as it's made by the user, not by one browser company, he added.

BOLD emphasis mine. See what I mean?

• Like 1

wow. thx for the update, lilbambi!

If Microsoft continues with this default setting, then DNT is effectively dead. It is sad, really, since Microsoft apparently wants to do something right in this case.

Adam