• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• ross549

• Corrine

• securitybreach

Democracy is all about people power.

If folk get of their butts and protest hard enough the politicians have to at least listen and may even do as the people demand. :pirate:

For once, I actually agree with you! The world has witnessed such movements recently - Egypt & Libya are some prime examples.

Sadly in this country - most of the mass have been trained to be dumb fat & happy. Just look at the generation of today. Most of the kids I see are spending hours fixated on facebook or have their heads buried in their smartphone typing w/ their thumb. They could care less of what is going on in the world around them or even their own country.

For once, I actually agree with you! The world has witnessed such movements recently - Egypt & Libya are some prime examples.

Blimey :w00t: someone agrees with me, must be the weather :hysterical:

The break up of the USSR is another example of people power. B)

The U.S.S.R. is no more? :( When did that happen, comrade?

When the weather got so bad that they could not transport dissents to the Siberian gulags. :whistling:

thank you, thank you, thank you!

i had a copy of that 20 years ago, but lost it!!

that is great! the master is great! the boot is great!

;)

Adam

• 1 month later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Who needs SOPA/PIPA/ACTA? All that needs to happen is for RIAA to pressure the ISPs to achieve everything they wanted in the first place.

RIAA chief: ISPs to start policing copyright by July 1

Next they'll be telling you who you can and cannot email with, or what you can and cannot watch on YouTube, or which music sites you can or cannot visit. The future looks... well, more regulated/regimented/controlled, folks! Simple rules never stay simple; they evolve over time toward tyranny, as they paint with their extremely broad brushes.

Enjoy your newly lost freedoms.

Anarchyisfreedom-1.jpg

How about the fact that Verizon has done all they can to remove access to the public switched telephone network via pre-existing copper lines. In my neighborhood, when they came in and dug up the entire block and buried fiber-optic cable, they hooked up everyone with a Verizon account. When they connected us via fiber they disconnected and disabled the copper connections.

I'm sure we could re-connect that system, if we could ever reclaim it from big red.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... Yes, that's true. Big V is forcing everyone to go FIOS eventually. There's always radio. ;)

I don't think that any big corps have invaded the ham territory yet, we could base our tech revolution on that.

Hey, you're a radio expert, why don't you invent the next generation of free internet access technology? :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Sen. Wyden demands vote on American copyright, patent treaties (arstechnica)

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) is a long-time opponent of the secretly negotiated Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA). Today he introduced an amendment to a Senate "jobs bill" that would force ACTA to come before Congress for approval. A second amendment would make the US Trade Representative, which negotiates US trade deals, drop the veil of secrecy around its copyright and patent negotiations.

More in the article.

V.T. Eric Layton
They don't mention Florida, but we have it in the Tampa market, and we no longer have any copper wires.

Only way to connect to the phone system is over fiber optic.

Well, that's not quite true. Those with copper service are still working. However, once you go to FIOS, you cannot go back to copper. Eventually, according to sources of mine within the Tampa Verizon shop, FIOS will be the ONLY option. They will convert everyone in the Tampa area eventually. The days of copper are waning here.

Fiber is much cheaper to install and maintain than copper-based systems. It's not about progress. It's about money. Ain't that always the case? :(

Next on the horizon will be the "poop meter", a device to measure the sewer output from your home in order for local utilities to get a more accurate accounting of your poop, rather than just basing it on water usage. Save money on your utilities bill by pooping in a hole you dig in your backyard. ;)

Well, that's not quite true. Those with copper service are still working. However, once you go to FIOS, you cannot go back to copper. Eventually, according to sources of mine within the Tampa Verizon shop, FIOS will be the ONLY option. They will convert everyone in the Tampa area eventually. The days of copper are waning here.

Fiber is much cheaper to install and maintain than copper-based systems. It's not about progress. It's about money. Ain't that always the case? :(

Next on the horizon will be the "poop meter", a device to measure the sewer output from your home in order for local utilities to get a more accurate accounting of your poop, rather than just basing it on water usage. Save money on your utilities bill by pooping in a hole you dig in your backyard. ;)

Yes, those with no history on fiber are still on copper, but the end is in sight for that infrastructure. In this case it's about more than just money. If they can get us all on the proprietary fiber system and off the old public copper system, they can be in control with less regulatory oversight. The old copper system comes with quite a burden to them in gov. regulations.

I've seen the "poop in a hole" sytem in practice, I'll voluntarily pay the sewer charge until it is really outrageous.

How is fiber cheaper to install and maintain?

It is hugely expensive!

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Do you have any idea what it costs to maintain copper wire systems in the wet environment of Florida. Not to mention the huge electro-mechanical CO facilities required. FIOS can be maintained with a computer running Linux from a small office in downtown. ;)

Guest LilBambi

It's rather interesting with copper and fiber optic cabling. It makes a difference as to what type of installation one is doing. It's different for long runs for a neighborhood versus all the curves and turns in an install for a company network for instance. It's still not worth doing for home use.

However, with the cost of copper going up, and the cost of fiber coming down; particularly in huge lots like would be used by ISPs per se, it's looking more realistic apparently.

Cost of Fiber Optics Vs Cost of Copper - eHow.com:

Function

Both copper and fiber optic wire allow data and sound to move along their lengths. Copper wire has a noticeably smaller bandwidth since it was mainly used alongside older land-line telephones needing only voice signal movement. As a result, all the Internet information people crave currently need fiber optics to move the signals faster and more efficiently.

Considerations

In general, fiber optics cost from 1 to 5 percent more than standard copper wire. This cost factor is negated when compared to the amount of data one line of fiber optics can hold as opposed to copper wire.

Interesting Fact

Copper wire by nature is heavier than fiber optic. As a result, the lightweight aspect of fiber optic is helping keep underground electrical wiring channels from becoming too heavy or cumbersome.

Don't know when that was written. They really need to note the last time a page that can fluctuate like that is updated. There are lots of pages from years ago where fiber optics is out of sight price wise...

But as HowStuffWorks "How does a long distance call work article states:

Physical wires no longer connect the offices together for each phone call. That system was incredibly expensive. Instead, a fiber-optic line carries a digitized version of your voice (see How Analog and Digital Recording Works for a description). Your voice (along with thousands of others) becomes a stream of bytes flowing on a fiber-optic line between offices. The difference in cost between "a pair of copper wires carrying a single conversation" and "a single fiber carrying thousands and thousands of conversations" is phenomenal.

Lots of considerations...more bandwidth is needed for Internet transmissions than phone calls though...

I saw a landline phone a couple of weeks ago. A rare sighting of an endangered species. :P

The future of copper? Um... eh:

pilotti69.png

pilotti70.png

Raw data stolen from International Telecommunication Union (ITU)

Guest LilBambi

Those are interesting.

We did away with our copper POTS telephone several years ago now. We couldn't afford the high cost of cellular, cellular 3g Internet and the wired phone line.

It just made economic sense. It's still way too expensive even without the wired phone line. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

I still have mine...

touchtone.jpg

Umm... well... actually, I don't. I still have a hardwired landline phone like the one above, but I'm not on copper wire anymore these days. I'm in fiber optic cable (still have copper wire inside, though :yes: )