• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• ross549

• Corrine

• securitybreach

Don't know how accurate this story or the foxnews story Tushman posted is, but here it is.

Adam

I didn't post the story/link for the Fox news article. It was Corrine.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, since Anonymous is a leaderless (non)organization, it's difficult to place blame. That's the idea, though. I support Anonymous in quite a few of their endeavors, but not all. I think that's the way it is for most folks. While I wish that they would use a bit more restraint and try to stay on the moral high ground, it doesn't always work that way. Anonymous is like a bulldozer to weed your garden. You get rid of the weeds, but you lose most of your garden in the process.

:(

securitybreach
Well, since Anonymous is a leaderless (non)organization, it's difficult to place blame. That's the idea, though. I support Anonymous in quite a few of their endeavors, but not all. I think that's the way it is for most folks. While I wish that they would use a bit more restraint and try to stay on the moral high ground, it doesn't always work that way. Anonymous is like a bulldozer to weed your garden. You get rid of the weeds, but you lose most of your garden in the process.

:(

:thumbsup:

The other question that needs to be asked......

Would the media companies and government understand anything other than that same bulldozer?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Would the media companies and government understand anything other than that same bulldozer?

Adam

No. They would not. We have proof of that throughout the years. They are so sick and twisted with their own 'need' for money, power and control that they will sacrifice everything and everyone to get what they want. Including the Freedom and Liberty fought so long and hard in this country.

So, no, I personally do not think they will understand anything other than that same bulldozer unfortunately.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

I hate to see our country being sold out like this!

Guest LilBambi

And to think that SOPA or PIPA will be needed to do what they want would be ludicrous. They already have laws in place to do it. They just want a more painless streamlined way (for them) to do it.

Our tax dollars are already policing copyright for good or for bad. And this is mostly bad when it steals freedom and liberty from real citizens (not corps) in our country.

But, even if they hadn't done these things. It wouldn't matter if ACTA is approved:

Forget SOPA, Europe is about to ratify its bigger brother ACTA - Silicon Republic:

ust as the SOPA and PIPA debate winds down in the US, the European Union is later this week set to work on ratifying a global intellectual property enforcement treaty: the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

European countries, including Ireland, will later this week join the US, Australia, Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates and Canada in supporting ACTA.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), ostensibly the agreement deals primarily with counterfeit physical goods, such as medicine.

However, it will in actual fact have broader scope and in particular will deal with new tools targeting "internet distribution and information technology."

More in the article

V.T. Eric Layton

Adam

Darn good point... and probably not. :hmm:

V.T. Eric Layton
It seems like everyday it gets worse and worse :thumbsdown:

Off topic slightly, but not much...

I read somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is now planning on using drone devices to monitor illegal aliens, drug runners, and illegal grow farms. Hmm? What's it going to be next for the growing Police State. Reminds me of Belltower and the other private mercenary police forces in Deus Ex HR. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

A reply I received from my U.S. Senator here in Florida regarding this topic:

Dear Mr. Layton,

Thank you for contacting me regarding Internet piracy legislation. I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns on this important issue.

As you may be aware, on May 12, 2011, Senator Patrick Leahy (VT) introduced the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011 (PROTECT IP/ PIPA, S. 968), which is meant to curb the online theft of intellectual property, much of which is occurring through rogue websites overseas in China. As a senator from Florida, a state with a large presence of artists, creators and businesses connected to the creation of intellectual property, I have a strong interest in stopping online piracy that costs Florida jobs. It was with this in mind that I was previously a co-sponsor of the PROTECT IP Act. I believe it's important to protect American ingenuity, ideas and jobs from being stolen through Internet piracy. However, we must do this while simultaneously promoting an open, dynamic Internet environment that is ripe for innovation and can promote new technologies.

Last summer, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the bill unanimously and without controversy. Since then, I've heard from a number of Floridians who have raised legitimate concerns about the impact this bill could have on Internet access, as well as a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's authority to impact the Internet. Congress should listen and avoid rushing through a bill that could have many unintended consequences.

Therefore, I have decided to withdraw my support for the PROTECT IP Act. Furthermore, I have encouraged Majority Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor. Instead, we should take more time to address the concerns raised by all sides, and come up with new legislation that addresses Internet piracy while protecting free and open access to the Internet. Please know that I will remain mindful of your concerns should this, or similar legislation, such as the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA, H.R. 3261), come before the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. It is an honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida. If I can be of any further help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio

United States Senator

Cluttermagnet

I read somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is now planning on using drone devices to monitor illegal aliens, drug runners, and illegal grow farms. Hmm? What's it going to be next for the growing Police State. Reminds me of Belltower and the other private mercenary police forces in Deus Ex HR. :(

Planning? Nope, they're already doing it. Furthermore, drones have recently been used in the arrest of a farming family- I think this happened in North Dakota, maybe? Anyway, a drone yielded info sufficient to arrest the family, which had put up some armed resistance up to that point. The dispute involved a cow or steer that had wandered onto their property. They tried to keep it. 'Hilarity' ensued. Chilling stuff happening these days. As Michael Moore said. "what have you done with my country, dude?" The same crap continues under Obama.

Grudging respect to Anonymous. Yes, it takes a bulldozer to raze a whole village... :whistling:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

securitybreach
Planning? Nope, they're already doing it. Furthermore, drones have recently been used in the arrest of a farming family- I think this happened in North Dakota, maybe? Anyway, a drone yielded info sufficient to arrest the family, which had put up some armed resistance up to that point. The dispute involved a cow or steer that had wandered onto their property. They tried to keep it. 'Hilarity' ensued. Chilling stuff happening these days. As Michael Moore said. "what have you done with my country, dude?" The same crap continues under Obama.

Grudging respect to Anonymous. Yes, it takes a bulldozer to raze a whole village... :whistling:

I remember that one

Kudos to your last statement :thumbup: :ph34r:

V.T. Eric Layton
Shame we don't have more like that ... ones that at least understand some of the unintended consequences.

Sadly, I'm so jaded on politics that I figure he's against SOPA/PIPA only because someone lined his pockets to be against them. I have a terrible time believing that there is even one slender moral fiber in any politician these days. For the first time since my dope-smokin' apathetic youth, I'm seriously considering not even wasting my time participating in the political process (voting) anymore. Sad, huh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10664362

The Zephyr flight is the second event of note this year in solar-powered aviation. Earlier this month, Andre Borschberg became the first person to pilot a manned solar plane through the night.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20016657-76.html

Boeing has won an $89 million government contract to build and fly an unmanned solar-powered plane that can--eventually--stay aloft continuously for up to five years. Yes, that's five years.

The defense contractor will develop the SolarEagle aircraft for the Vulture II program run by the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, better known as DARPA. Scheduled to get off the ground for its first demo flight in 2014, the plane will likely serve as an electronic sensor and military communications platform. But it could eventually turn into a less expensive alternative to communications and reconnaissance satellites.

B)

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111221/...se-did-it.shtml

Now, of course, it's possible some other vendor was using them, but this seems rather ironic, coming from the RIAA, who has insisted for years that IP addresses are sufficient to accurately determine who is responsible for infringement. Apparently it works for everyone... but the RIAA.

When your playing for the big boys team you just move the gateposts to suit. :whistling:

Edited by abarbarian

Sadly, I'm so jaded on politics that I figure he's against SOPA/PIPA only because someone lined his pockets to be against them. I have a terrible time believing that there is even one slender moral fiber in any politician these days.

Usually I try to be optimistic. And I also like to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to such matters. But on this matter, I have to agree 100% - I also have become jaded to the politics and the greedy b*st*rds. uh.. ok senators. whatever it is they're pretending to be.

I'm seriously considering not even wasting my time participating in the political process (voting) anymore. Sad, huh?

It's not sad. It's called saving your breath. It's like trying to decide between the lesser of two evils. I'm so P.O'd with both the democrats & republicans (especially the latter) that I don't see how voting actually matters anymore. Classic case in point. Bush (dubya) stole the election in 2001. By all accounts, Al Gore had more votes and it was probably one of the most corrupt/evil acts in American history to see that election process/& post election process botched. Why bother voting. To think one actually wields any power by participating in the democratic voting process is merely an illusion. In this day & age, if a party really wants it bad enough, they can rig the system in their favour and justify it away. hanging chads? Nope - doesn't count. Absentee ballots from our military service members? Nope - they didn't count either in 2001.

Edited by Tushman

Poland halts copyeight laws after mass protests

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- Poland's prime minister says he is suspending the ratification process for an international copyright treaty after widespread protests and attacks on government websites.

Poland is the only country that has seen major opposition to the treaty. Opponents say it will restrict Internet free speech and allow online surveillance.

Democracy is all about people power.

If folk get of their butts and protest hard enough the politicians have to at least listen and may even do as the people demand. :pirate: