Hey baldies!

ibe98765

Wired Issue 12.01 - January 2004 Hair ApparentRugs, drugs, and plugs are so 20th century. The very modern baldness cure: follicles grown in a petri dish.By Joshua DavisFive minutes after I meet Ken Washenik, he invites me to examine his scalp. We're in the penthouse offices of Beverly Hills-based Bosley International, the nation's largest hair transplantation company, where Washenik - the head of New York University's dermatopharmacology department until 2002 - now leads Bosley's research and development. He is also, as the saying goes, a client. He points high up on his forehead to his hairline, indicating where the transplants are. He then shows me a series of photos taken during the surgery. He's smiling broadly in the pictures as L. Lee Bosley himself, the founder of the company and Washenik's boss, removes a bloody strip of hairy scalp from the back of his head. These hairs are now implanted on top of his head.Oddly enough, it's this 50-year-old traditional hair transplantation process that Washenik has been hired to make obsolete. Flipping through the photographs, Washenik explains that the procedure has one major shortcoming: There's never enough hair. Doctors cut out follicles from the nonbald regions and implant them on the front lines, but more often than not the bare areas can't be fully covered by the limited amount of excised hair. "It's a supply-and-demand problem," Washenik says, scratching his head unconsciously. "Only so much scalp can be harvested from the back and sides of the head." Full article