When I turn on external USB drive, Windows Explorer hangs

jeffw_00

no, but then again, it neither addresses my issue or appears to support WINXP 8-}

Thanks striker, but i don't think this is on point, and it says "We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time."

Dang! I don't see where it advertises it's not for XP.

Besides that it says Hardware Devices not detected in Windows, that's what we're talking about.

Ah, DH67CL... I was hunting down the BH67CL for which I couldn't find a thing, you mentioned the BH67CL in post # 1. :D

Great board, looks good and good specs! :thumbsup:

Anyway, with that all said, there are some threads available on google about the board not recognizing USB devices.

Try this search term when searching:

DH67CL+USB+Devices+not+detected

I did that in ixquick and got 6 pages to start with.

At this point I fail to see the source of the problem, except that I'm aiming at a timing issue. It's a bit like going in circles.

nothing in the logs - didn't think to try safe mode - thought in safe mode it wouldn't load drivers for things like external USB.

I can try it

/j

Well I posted at the Intel Forums, but all I got was one persistent responder who believes the only solution to all your problems is to wipe the system clean and start over. I figure he must trade his car in frequently 8-}. Although, I was remembering over the weekend that I had a really stubborn USB issue a few years back, and the fix was another repair install. I know I just did one, but I installed all the correct drivers AFTER the install. It's possible an R-I with all the drivers already on the system may do the trick. (So that the wrong ones aren't lurking under the right ones, or some such). Anyway, it takes under an hour and there's no downside risk. Will get to it sometime in the next couple of weeks....

/j

Edited by jeffw_00

Hello,

Plugging in an external USB hard disk drive on a computer running ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus v5.0 under Microsoft Windows XP will result in the system hanging. This is a known issue and is discussed in their support forums.

Workaround for now is to download the previous version of ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus, v4.2, uninstall v5.0 and install v4.2 for now.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky