The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted Cr*p

sunrat

That's the title of the article over at Phoronix. While only having minor issues with VBox in the past, I could not call myself a regular user. Apparently problems are not rare, including "corrupt linked lists, corrupt page tables, and just plain 'weird' crashes." Some kernel devs label the vboxdrv driver as poor quality.

I've had few problems with VBox on Windows 7 with a number of Linux guests. The only one that caused problems for me is Ubuntu. Originally the VBox Guest Additions didn't work with Unity so I got no GUI in VBox. If I used the Ubuntu specific VBox OSE Guest Additions things were fine.I understand the latest Guest Additions are supposed work OK with Ubuntu Unity but I haven't installed them as the old ones continue to work every time I upgrade VirtualBox. I don't want to hose my Ubuntu guest by installing the latest VBox Guest Additions and then finding they don't work as advertised.My only complaint is that VBox releases new versions a bit too often for my liking.