Cable/DSL Multiport Routers

GolfProRM

My girlfriend and I are getting ready to move in together next month, and I'm going to need to find a good router to share my cable interent access. I'd like to buy one that is a multi-port router (router + switch in one box) so I don't have to buy two pieces of hardware. I only NEED two ports, but ideally four ports. I've shopped around a bit looking at them, but thought I'd ask as to what brands people have and what has worked best. I'd like to spend $50 or less on the hardware, and have looked at the Linksys, DLink, etc. Any input here? It needs to be a 10/100 switch, and have decent firewall capabilities... I'm also shopping ebay to see what I can find there (new only) to maybe save some money!

My only experience has been with using the LinkSys 4 port DSL/Cable Router. I have set up a D-Link for somebody else. I like the LinkSys although there are a few things I would improve upon. But overall, it's a good value.

Good luck on your co-habitation! B) As far as router, the one I've been using has been fine so far, but I'm no expert in the field. B) It's a Netgear RP614: 4-port, easy set-up, compatible with most software firewalls, as well as having good firewall properties on it's own. May not be as popular as Linksys or D-Link brands, but, so far, no complaints here.http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_detai...dID=131&view=hm

Guest LilBambi

Most of the routers I have been working with have been ones capable of WiFi in home networking environments, but if they are anything to go by ... Linksys may be a little more expensive, but they are worth it. Might want to buy one before the new Cisco owned Linksys ones comes out ... knowing Cisco, they are likely to be more expensive. :rolleyes:

That's kind of what I was figuring... Either Netgear or Linksys... the guy I talked to at Bestbuy said that the DLink has been causing more problems and they've had a bunch come back on return. I'll just have to search ebay for a good deal on one of the two...Of course I also heard/saw that Microshaft has a router out now too! I don't think I could convince myself to buy Microshaft hardware though... It's bad enough that I have to run Winblows :rolleyes:

GolfProRM, I've used a Linky BEFSR41 for a few years, zero problems. Around here you can get a new one for about $50.00. I haven't used any other brand, so that's all I can add. Happy Hunting!Chris

GolfProRM,  I've used a Linky BEFSR41 for a few years, zero problems. Around here you can get a new one for about $50.00.  I haven't used any other brand, so that's all I can add. Happy Hunting!Chris
Same here. My only problem is when we have power outages. They (Sprint) tell me my router and DSL box in my case can not go through a surge protector or UPS (Can't figure out why) but if they go I have to turn off the router (unplug) and then restart my DSL. Then I am good to go again. Of course, if you are not in an area prone to weather problems then you should not even have to worry about that!

GolfProRM,  I've used a Linky BEFSR41 for a few years, zero problems. Around here you can get a new one for about $50.00.  I haven't used any other brand, so that's all I can add. Happy Hunting!Chris
Same here. My only problem is when we have power outages. They (Sprint) tell me my router and DSL box in my case can not go through a surge protector or UPS (Can't figure out why) but if they go I have to turn off the router (unplug) and then restart my DSL. Then I am good to go again. Of course, if you are not in an area prone to weather problems then you should not even have to worry about that!
Teacher, My router and cable modem are both plugged into a surge protector and always have been. I don't know if I'm violating any rules or not, (Heaven forbid) but I haven't had any issues either. Dumb luck? (seems to be the only luck I ever have) :blink: Maybe. It would be interesting to hear Sprints explanation as to why they consider surge protectors bad.Chris

Guest LilBambi

I wouldn't worry about putting them on surge protectors/suppressors ... if the power goes out, they all have to be restarted anyway ;)And remember, these are the same folks that have been known to tell folks that they don't need a firewall! LOL! :blink:

It's sad that they can't implement a good enough hardware firewall for these routers so that people don't have to run a software firewall. I've learned so much about my computer since I started using ZoneAlarm. It's amazing how much stuff thinks it needs access to the internet, and it's amazing how many random pings come my way....I'll never go without one now... although the extra protection of a hardware firewall will be nice ;)I'm shopping for either a Netgear or a Linksys... just have to find the best deal now :blink:

It's sad that they can't implement a good enough hardware firewall for these routers so that people don't have to run a software firewall.  I've learned so much about my computer since I started using ZoneAlarm.  It's amazing how much stuff thinks it needs access to the internet, and it's amazing how many random pings come my way....
GolfProRM, Yeah, running a software firewall like Zone, or Sygate is a real eye opener at first, "Why does Windoze Explorer use the internet?, It's a file manager, no?" It is unfortunate, but in this day and age you really need one. A NAT router does does a fairly good job of hiding you on the 'net though. Do the usual barrage of security scans after you get one just to make sure the firmware isn't leaving a port open.Chris

Teacher, My router and cable modem are both plugged into a surge protector and always have been. I don't know if I'm violating any rules or not, (Heaven forbid) but I haven't had any issues either. Dumb luck? (seems to be the only luck I ever have)  :D  Maybe. It would be interesting to hear Sprints explanation as to why they consider surge protectors bad.Chris
Glad to hear that. Actually, I have had the router through the surge protector but not the DSL. I figure it was one with a "free lease" from Sprint and they said if it is fried, they will replace it free! So why should I worry about it? :D Now, if I can just find another slot in the USB maybe Iwill add it in there cause if everything goes down while I am at work my husband will tell me when I get home that I need to fix things! It was hard enough moving him from a manual typewriter to a computer years ago. I don't think I will get too far explaining how to restart the connections! (Yes I have tried before to explain before).I take luck any way it comes - dumb or otherwise :D

Guest LilBambi

GolfProRM --In your search, you might like to keep a one thing in mind. Not all routers are also firewalls, and not all routers are firmware upgradable, so be sure to read those specs :D To help in your search, here at http://dealtime.com/xKW-linksys_router/NS-1/GS.html, are some great deals for Linksys routers with reviews, some user ratings, etc.Happy hunting!

GolfProRM --In your search, you might like to keep a one thing in mind. Not all routers are also firewalls, and not all routers are firmware upgradable, so be sure to read those specs  :D To help in your search, here at http://dealtime.com/xKW-linksys_router/NS-1/GS.html, are some great deals for Linksys routers with reviews, some user ratings, etc.Happy hunting!
Bambi... you rock!!! thanks a bunch for the link... gives me quite a bit of info! The comparison guide is great... should help a lot!

As far as router, the one I've been using has been fine so far, but I'm no expert in the field.  :D  It's a Netgear RP614: 4-port, easy set-up, compatible with most software firewalls, as well as having good firewall properties on it's own. May not be as popular as Linksys or D-Link brands, but, so far, no complaints here.http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_detai...dID=131&view=hm
I was talking to a guy at work about routers, and he mentioned this Netgear... He said that he has this one and a couple other guys at work do too... He showed me the configuration setup and it looked like it was easy to use but still quite powerful... He gave me a strong recommendation for it, so that's probably what I'm going to look at. (The guy works in our networking department so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about!) :D

Guest LilBambi

GolfProRM --Thought you might have ;)But posted it anyway as a quick link to anyone who might be looking for info when they read through this Topic.

While it has already been said many times, the linksys routers are my personal choice. I have set up countless home networks and I always stear my customers towards linksys. Be it wired or wireless. They just get the job done. Are price friendly, and easy to configure. What more can one ask for?

As most of you know, I'm partial to the Linksys boxes too. But my second choice would be Netgear. I've actually been trying to get Netgear to send me one of their newer boxes, but they haven't so far. They've been through three different PR people in less than a year, and I have to keep getting their attention. But I plan to review something like the RP614 as soon as I can get one. I like Netgear products a lot in general, and my guess is that they make as good a box as the Linksys models. Either way, you can't lose.About the D-Link stuff, I can't really recommend it. Some of their stuff is quite good, though, or has good feature. The newer stuff they've sent me lately is much nicer than stuff they did a couple years ago. But I just don't reach for D-Link when I want to be sure.Teacher, by the way, I love your new avatar. It's gorgeous.-- Scot

It'll probably come down to whichever one goes on a better sale... I've heard good things about both, and since they're both priced similarly, I'll just wait until one of them goes on sale/has a good rebate... Thanks for all the info!If anyone has had any bad experiences with either Linksys or Netgear, please let me know!

Now, if I can just find another slot in the USB maybe Iwill add it in there cause if everything goes down while I am at work my husband will tell me when I get home that I need to fix things!  It was hard enough moving him from a manual typewriter to a computer years ago.  I don't think I will get too far explaining how to restart the connections! (Yes I have tried before to explain before).I take luck any way it comes - dumb or otherwise :)
Teacher, Just the opposite at my house, I do all the tech work and my wife want's nothing to do with it. She'll turn the puter on and off, that's it. :D Lucky for me, I like the tech work, I suspect you do too. I'll take luck anyway I can get it, but I seem to get more than my share of the "dumb" kind. :) . I figure "dumb" luck is luck that wasn't smart enough to avoid ME! :) Chris