Computer shuts down by itself

georgeg4

Guest LilBambi
Here is the article:HereAfter looking at this article I will guarantee you will never look at a SMPS the same again..Good luck G4jolphil
Yes, amazing the different power requirements and variances based on the different configurations.Some folks, particularly dualbooters, may have multiple hard drives, what rule of thumb have you noticed to add for each new hard drive in the power supply requirements?I don't know if George has more than 1 hard drive in this particular model, but everyone could benefit from that knowledge, no?

Some folks, particularly dualbooters, may have multiple hard drives, what rule of thumb have you noticed to add for each new hard drive in the power supply requirements?
I can only mention that in the article that the face value for most hard drives is around 10 watts but in the article at spin up it drew 3 amps and if from the +12 volts that would be somewhere around 36 watts..One would hope they do not spin up at the same time that there is another big current chunk..I generally prefer a single rail PS with a large available current especially for the +12volt line..That way i think there is less possibilities to deplete a lesser lower amperage rail..Just my opinion though..Here is the snipit of text from the article..
By the way, there is one tricky thing: measuring the peak consumption on each power rail and summing them up for all the rails is not enough because these maximums may have occurred at different moments. For example, the HDD had a consumption of 3A five seconds after the start of the system when spinning its spindle up, but the graphics card had a consumption of 10A after FurMark had been loaded. Does it mean that the total maximum consumption is 13A? No. Therefore the program calculates the instantaneous consumption for each time moment and chooses the maximum out of them.
I don't know if George has more than 1 hard drive in this particular model, but everyone could benefit from that knowledge, no?
I don't either know what George has..Yes it's possibly a boring read for some but to me it's very interesting..Jolphil Edited by jolphil

Guest LilBambi

Great thanks! It is a long read and sometimes folks would prefer to just skip to the chase when looking for something specific. I think most computers on boot would spin up all drives attached unless they are turn off in the BIOS maybe, so I think it is an important question and you knew exactly where I was going with that. :lol: