One of the Original Social Networks - USENET

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet

I got it to connect me to irc.net. I think it was on irc.stealth.net. No text scrolling by. Server setups has always been my undoing- and clients in general are decidedly not friendly. They all tend to be quirky, in various unique and personalized ways. Xchat is getting the better of me right now. I can't really see my way through the server setup dialog. That seems to be where it always falls apart. If it's not a stock server already 'in there', I'm in trouble. I used to be able to do this just barely. I'm going to have to completely relearn and figure out where I am losing it.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Here's a Youtube video that shows how to add a server. There's only a small portion of the video that shows what you need but the guy does show what needs to be done to add a new server:

. Just substitute their new server name with ours. :pirate:

Cluttermagnet

Yep, yep. I knew you were right about the 'simple' part. Well, the YouTube video worked great, Fran- and within about 2:26, I grasped my mistakes and went to try again. One brief false start, then payday! I'm on #cni right now. Everybody's still asleep and it's kind of echo-y in there. :thumbsup: Nobody ever told me you have to hit Enter on your keyboard after you edit the server "irc.b2irc.net") into the servers box highlighted line under the new heading "New Server" you have just created with the Add button. Then it 'sticks', as the guy in the video says. I'm sorry but that is just not intuitive IMO, and I wonder if I would ever have had the patience to find that out on my own, frankly.The other (somewhat less) non intuitive snare for me was the idea of editing where it says 'newsserver/6667' or whatever, after you hit the Edit button, and you replace 'newsserver' with 'irc.b2irc.net' but keep the '/6667'. That's all it took. That's all I was missing. But it was driving me crazy! Like I say, I have yet to encounter any sort of 'client' that didn't have its little quirks and just waaaay too much personality IMO.Thanks, guys! BTW I installed the regular xchat and not the gnome version, as the guy recommended. I always made that choice anyway, in the past.I am enjoying the heck out of usenet, last 24 hours. I put Tbird on another computer at Betty's. There's still at least a bit of usenet left out there. What I see via eternal-september.org is clean, loads fast, and is surprisingly free of most of the spam posts. :thumbsup:"Thunderbird gooood- google baaad!" (RIP Phil Hartman)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Yea! I see you on the #cni chat! (you are out chopping wood at the moment). Glad you made it. I went through about 3 short videos till I found that particular video which showed the step by step in Linux, particularly the areas that most folks get snagged on...the area I thought might be giving you the issues as well.Some of those videos don't bother zooming in so you can actually see what they are doing and some have no audio either. Glad I was able to find one that actually gave the info needed with the zoom feature. :thumbsup: