firefox 7.0?

réjean

Hi all!Yesterday my software manager told me there was an update for firefox ( 3.6.21 ) which I agreed to. I should also add that I had installed firefox 4.0 beta which had been updated to 5.0 beta some while ago.I like using both a secure version ( 3.6 ) and the 5.0 beta.After I did the upgrade my 5.0 version told me there was also an update to 6.0 which I agreed to choosing to use the archive ( or was it the software manager ) manager instead of saving the file and installing the tgz2 (?) or bz2 myself. Once the update was installed I had the 3.6.21 version with a shortcut in the panel ( I am using Mandriva ) and a shortcut on the Desktop ( which still said 4.0 but opening the browser and going to Help,About Firefox I could see 5.0.In About Firefox there is a tab for Check for updates as you can see;firefox7u.th.jpgI clicked on it and an upgrade occurred except that now whether I choose the shortcut on the panel or the one on the Desktop I end up in Firefox 7.0.What's going on?

If you'll notice from the image posted, réjean, in About Mozilla Firefox, it indicates that "You are currently on the beta update channel." When I check that information, the notice shows "You are currently on the release update channel." Version 6.0.1 is available from the Mozilla Firefox download page at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ as well as the FTP site: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...releases/6.0.1/In line with the rapid release update schedule, Firefox 7 is scheduled to be moved to released on September 27, 2011.@zlim, 6.0.2 is on the Mozilla FTP download site at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...es/6.0.2/win32/ , however, it appears that the Mozilla Wiki page about 6.0.2 removed. Originally, it was released based on Bug 682927 – Dis-trust DigiNotar root certificate. Personally, when ever possible, I would only use the vendor site for downloads/updates.

I think I was mostly wondering why the beta update took over the 3.6.21 version as well as my Firefox 5.0. I noticed this morning that when I clicked on the shortcut icon on the Desktop that I wasn't offered to open FF in a terminal or run it normally. Anyway the beta release 7.0 works well enough for me at the moment so I'll keep on using it. I see very little changes from the 5.0 that I had previously.Thanks for the replies Liz and Corrine.

I think I was mostly wondering why the beta update took over the 3.6.21 version as well as my Firefox 5.0. I noticed this morning that when I clicked on the shortcut icon on the Desktop that I wasn't offered to open FF in a terminal or run it normally. Anyway the beta release 7.0 works well enough for me at the moment so I'll keep on using it. I see very little changes from the 5.0 that I had previously.Thanks for the replies Liz and Corrine.
Is 3.6.21 really gone , or are all the links just pointing to 7?

Is 3.6.21 really gone , or are all the links just pointing to 7?
If I look into Applications/internet and I click on the FF icon it opens 7.0. If I go into /user/bin/ and I click on FF it opens the 7.0 version so it looks gone to me.P.S. or else;
[rejean@localhost ~]$ find firefox 3.6.21firefoxfirefox/firefoxfirefox/firefox/application.inifirefox/firefox/active-update.xmlfirefox/firefox/defaultsfirefox/firefox/defaults/preffirefox/firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.jsfirefox/firefox/dependentlibs.listfirefox/firefox/chrome.manifestfirefox/firefox/mozilla-xremote-clientfirefox/firefox/libssl3.sofirefox/firefox/libsoftokn3.sofirefox/firefox/update.localefirefox/firefox/crashreporter.inifirefox/firefox/platform.inifirefox/firefox/libmozsqlite3.sofirefox/firefox/libfreebl3.sofirefox/firefox/updatesfirefox/firefox/updates/backup-update.logfirefox/firefox/updates/last-update.logfirefox/firefox/updates/0firefox/firefox/plugin-containerfirefox/firefox/componentsfirefox/firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.sofirefox/firefox/components/libmozgnome.sofirefox/firefox/components/binary.manifestfirefox/firefox/components/libdbusservice.sofirefox/firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.sofirefox/firefox/hyphenationfirefox/firefox/hyphenation/hyph_en_US.dicfirefox/firefox/libnssdbm3.sofirefox/firefox/libnss3.sofirefox/firefox/libxul.sofirefox/firefox/searchpluginsfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/wikipedia.xmlfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/google.xmlfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/bing.xmlfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/yahoo.xmlfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/amazondotcom.xmlfirefox/firefox/searchplugins/eBay.xmlfirefox/firefox/updater.inifirefox/firefox/distributionfirefox/firefox/distribution/extensionsfirefox/firefox/distribution/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com.xpifirefox/firefox/removed-filesfirefox/firefox/extensionsfirefox/firefox/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}firefox/firefox/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/preview.pngfirefox/firefox/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/install.rdffirefox/firefox/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/icon.pngfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.comfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/defaultsfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/defaults/preferencesfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skinfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/linuxfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/winfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/macfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/allfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/all/cssfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/skin/all/imagesfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/modulesfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/modules/libfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/componentsfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/contentfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/content/flotfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/testsfirefox/firefox/extensions/testpilot@labs.mozilla.com/instrumentfirefox/firefox/updates.xmlfirefox/firefox/libnssutil3.sofirefox/firefox/chromefirefox/firefox/chrome/iconsfirefox/firefox/chrome/icons/defaultfirefox/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default48.pngfirefox/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default16.pngfirefox/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default32.pngfirefox/firefox/libnssdbm3.chkfirefox/firefox/firefoxfirefox/firefox/libnspr4.sofirefox/firefox/updaterfirefox/firefox/omni.jarfirefox/firefox/run-mozilla.shfirefox/firefox/README.txtfirefox/firefox/firefox-binfirefox/firefox/blocklist.xmlfirefox/firefox/iconsfirefox/firefox/icons/updater.pngfirefox/firefox/icons/mozicon128.pngfirefox/firefox/libmozalloc.sofirefox/firefox/libsoftokn3.chkfirefox/firefox/libnssckbi.sofirefox/firefox/crashreporterfirefox/firefox/Throbber-small.giffirefox/firefox/libxpcom.sofirefox/firefox/precompletefirefox/firefox/dictionariesfirefox/firefox/dictionaries/en-US.dicfirefox/firefox/dictionaries/en-US.afffirefox/firefox/libsmime3.sofirefox/firefox/libplds4.sofirefox/firefox/libfreebl3.chkfirefox/firefox/crashreporter-override.inifirefox/firefox/libplc4.sofind: `3.6.21': No such file or directory[rejean@localhost ~]$

Edited by réjean

as much as I am growing to dislike the Mozilla people, this does not sound correct.Version-7-Installation removed version6 and updated 3.6->7 ???
Yep! That's exactly what happened. As I said I would have liked to keep 3.6.21 as a backup because I used 6.0 all the time. Mind you I still have it in other distros, Mint, PCLinuxOS and OpenSuSE but Mandriva has been my main distro for several months, if not a year.

Corrine, how does one insure that she remains on the release cycle and not get bumped over to the beta cycle? I've looked over my update options and can not see any choice there. A browser is one program I choose not to install a beta of.Rejean, here you can grab FF 3.6.21 http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/10502/for windows but I think that realease might on be for Macs. I think for windows, the last version might have been 3.6.20.If you are in linux, look around hereftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...ses/latest-3.6/this seems to have versions for linux and windows.

zlim, as far as I can figure out, the only way to get on the beta update channel is to actually download and install the beta version without ever updating to the release version.

zlim, as far as I can figure out, the only way to get on the beta update channel is to actually download and install the beta version without ever updating to the release version.
:) lord, what a mess

Hi again!I was trying to move the little icon in the address bar to one of my folders on the personal toolbar this morning in FF 7.0 and couldn't. So I went into the Software manager and uninstalled FF 3.6.21 then I reinstalled it.The icon on the panel now let me open FF 3.6.21 and when I am in FF 7.0 I can again drag an address into one of my toolbar folders.I am again fully updated in both the regular and the beta versions.

Corrine, how does one insure that she remains on the release cycle and not get bumped over to the beta cycle? I've looked over my update options and can not see any choice there. A browser is one program I choose not to install a beta of.Rejean, here you can grab FF 3.6.21 http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/10502/for windows but I think that realease might on be for Macs. I think for windows, the last version might have been 3.6.20.If you are in linux, look around hereftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...ses/latest-3.6/this seems to have versions for linux and windows.
The latest build within the 3.6 version is 3.6.22. You can download the packages from here:WindowsLinuxMacEdit: That's rather odd. This page shows the latest build for version 3.0 was 3.6.21.Nevermind zlim, apparently v3.6.22 has not yet been cleared for public release. Edited by Tushman

The icon on the panel now let me open FF 3.6.21....I am again fully updated in both the regular and the beta versions.
Why are you running both the regular and beta versions? Edited by Tushman

Why are you running both the regular and beta versions?
I do the same thing.The FF past 3.6 have not been to my liking, plus there are extensions I don't want to lose.Good to know that FF7 may cause havoc with my FF3.6, I'll do a backup before FF7 try.

The software manager in Mandriva asked me if I wanted to upgrade to 3.6.22 and I said yes. After that I clicked on the icon in the Panel and 7.0 opened. Then I did an update in 7.0 ( opening FF with the shortcut on my Desktop and now 3.6.22 is back. Go figure. Anyway I now have the 2 fully updated.

• 1 month later...
Guest LilBambi

If you have used the various version upgrades to Firefox from v3.x to v7, you will notice that v7 is very fast by comparison to anything in between those two versions noted above.Not all security fixes for plugins will work right with older versions of browsers. Sometimes for security's sake you do need to move ahead.

No thanks. I prefer to not have to compile it myself. I'd rather get it from Slackware. :)
Well as you know I am not a Linux user so you'll have to explain to me what the difference is. I thought that link that I provided is a finished build. You just have to unpack the tarball - right? :pirate:

Yes, the tarball is fully functional, but when unpacked, the browser will not be integrated in the installed linux system. This has several benefits, considering the browser is essentially standing alone.However, things like Right click menus (Open shortcut in default browser, for example, or setting the default browser) will not be available. Essentially, the installed distro will have no "knowledge" that firefox is there. The benefit is that since the browser is standing by itself, there is less chance anything that happens to it would have any effect on the rest of the system.Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... not a bad description, Adam.Anywho... I try to avoid installing anything from outside of a distribution's repositories. The software in the repositories is certified by the maintainers of the distribution. It's also updated regularly by them. Installing from source can potentially corrupt your system. Also, installing from source does not always work because dependencies (secondary software needed to run the primary app) may not be met. Searching for and installing numerous layered dependencies is known as "dependency h3ll" in Linux. It's to be avoided. Apps in a distribution's repository are vetted and all dependencies are usually met. Slackware is a bit of an exception regarding dependencies, but that's a long story. We'll save that for another day.Regardless of all that, I'm in no hurry for FF 7 or TB 7. I can wait a bit. V6.x is working fine for now. :ph34r: