It Was Fun While It Lasted... G+

V.T. Eric Layton

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...ty_as_a_serviceAs to why it's bad? That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it's bad because it eliminates individual privacy and the choice to remain anonymous. The Internet, to me, should be about knowledge. You should neither be required to identify yourself to gain access to knowledge, nor should you have to pay for it. It should be anonymous and free.... always.
I've read that Wikipedia article and I still don't quite get it. Is it just to let Google handle logging in on sites, like how a lot of sites have "Log in with Facebook" buttons?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• crp

• Neil P

Guest LilBambi
I've read that Wikipedia article and I still don't quite get it. Is it just to let Google handle logging in on sites, like how a lot of sites have "Log in with Facebook" buttons?
No, they want to be able to handle all your transactions; website logins is only the beginning. Next there will be financial transactions, etc. And don't forget they now will know you in ways you can't even begin to imagine by making correlations with your data from their products including search results and other culling of information about you like Facebook does to 'better serve you'. But also remember, that government may well be able to require information from Google without a warrant or Judge. And they can't even tell their customers it's happening! Whether it's a legit reason or just a fishing expedition for information.Just something to think about...

Well, Google already offers financial transactions (Google Checkout). And if you used some other service (Paypal, whoever) the government can still demand data without warrants. That's more a government problem than a Google problem, to be honest.And Google already knows a lot about me, so there's not much I can do at this point. I may as well use their services when they're good, right?

V.T. Eric Layton

Neil, I agree with Fran. If you have no issues with this, then enjoy. Don't worry about it at all. Go on about your everyday life and leave the worrying to the old hippies like Fran and me. :thumbsdown:

Ok, I see the concern, I do. But really if the issue is one subpoena or a few + a couple hours of someone tying it all together, then we're pretty much all screwed, aren't we?

Guest LilBambi

Shouldn't have to be. If corporate entities would honor people's privacy then they wouldn't have anything to turn over to the authorities now would they? :thumbsdown:

But there is some legislations floating around that require certain information to be stored for a particular time, right?It makes me wonder how many companies are bowing to government pressure and keeping some of this information.Adam