It Was Fun While It Lasted... G+

V.T. Eric Layton

I think it's just that it's a specific date and you need a specific date ;)Also, it's two days before 9/11 which means it won't be interfering with folks commemorating on 9/11.Other than that, it's a Friday....No idea :">
hmm, so if everyone leaves on Friday the 9th, what would be the equivalent of "Last one out, turn off the lights" ?(A nation turns its lonely eyes to you, VT :) )

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• crp

• Neil P

Guest LilBambi
hmm, so if everyone leaves on Friday the 9th, what would be the equivalent of "Last one out, turn off the lights" ?(A nation turns its lonely eyes to you, VT :) )
Some folks are staying to carry on the fight inside, and others are going to carry on the fight outside and make a statement. Both are needed to bring about the change desired...if it can be done...

V.T. Eric Layton

I brought about my own change. I'm back to using Yahoo. ;)By the way, I really need a replacement for GoogleGroups. Anyone know of any free online USENET servers (web interface or preferably nntp)?I never used Picassa or any of that other Google carp. However, I do need access to USENET. All my fellow anarchists are still posting there. ;)NOTE: Split of USENET posts to this thread --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=332982

• 1 month later...
Cluttermagnet

Wow! What a fascinating thread. You guys have been busy while I was 'away'.When I first emerged in Scot's Forums in 2003, my very first post concernedsome security questions. Software firewalls for Windows, as I recall. It's in mynature, I guess.When it came to Google, I took one look and said NO WAY! And that was backin 2003 or so. All that has come to pass since then has continually validatedmy cautious (if paranoid) views about 'privacy'. Put all my emails into onegiant box for Google to rummage through? No frickin' way! I must admit, though,fast forwarding to the present, that the scope of the 'invasion' by this giantcorporate entity now takes my breath away! It's every bit as bad as I hadenvisioned. Probably more so.Eric- you're to be congratulated for your principled stand. Google is still justa piece, however, of the giant 'Hoover' that is vacuuming up the last tatteredremnants of our privacy, collectively. Still, you're better off not playing intotheir game. The government 'Hoover' activities worry me even more. I don'tsee how the people fight back against all this. It's a juggernaut out of control. :clap:

Cluttermagnet
I brought about my own change. I'm back to using Yahoo. ;)
Very interesting, Eric-I'm using Yahoo myself. but I have a hunch you mean in some sort of 'power user' sense. All I'm really using them for is as an alternate email, and also Yahoo groups.Perhaps you might want to split this topic off too, but I was wondering how to deal with something from Yahoo that is driving me nuts- they shamelessly steal focus in my browser. I leave many tabs open oftentimes when I shut down. When I reboot, the tab I want opened is suddenly abandoned while I'm dragged to some instance of Yahoo I left open, where Yahoo breathlessly informs me that I've been disconnected from chat. OMG! Such earthshakingly important issuess for Yahoo. I face windows I'm forced to manually click shut before I can 'get out of there' and regain control over my browser. They have even figured out how to cause 'alert' sounds in my computer, in this case, a 'pop' sound when the 'friending' windows pop. If I left multiple Yahoo tabs open, I get multiple pops. That's another thing- how did they figure out how to defeat the anti-popups utility in Firefox? I'm using a very dated version of FF, BTW, Need to update. Running 3.6.23, God help me. I've taken flak over that in here previously. Help is welcome, criticism not so much. I'm pretty thin-skinned lately. It hasn't been my year...The other annoyance is a second window which always pops, which then asks me to friend some guy or gal with a Finnish sounding name. I suspect it might be Urmas(?) I don't want to say either yes or no because I don't know who the person is (no included message, just some sort of 'friending' request). I'm also afraid that by saying yes, I am giving implicit permission to Yahoo to exert even more control over my browser. I'm thinking that I probably don't want to let any Yahoo API's run in my browser, so rude and controlling has their behavior become. I guess maybe they think everybody is running a Blackberry now, and needs hand- holding for everything? I dunno... I don't think I like their API or javascript or whatever the heck they are running.Meanwhile, Yahoo is pounding on my head to upgrade to their new email. I've found a way to avoid that. Their presence in my browser is misbehaving and they want me to allow them to have *more* control over it? I don't think so. Yahoo has gradually become quite annoying. The 'new Yahoo email' can wait. Let's not get pushy. Maybe they will eventually cut me off. :P :hysterical: Any help and suggestions appreciated...

frapper and I have been trying various tricks to avoid the upgrade. Doesn't the fact that I've kept "classic" for all these years alert Yahoo to the fact that I do not want new and improved?frapper thinks Yahoo might just cut off classic users by the end of the year.With that in mind, I've already cleared out my contact list. I have all those addresses printed out so I know where to reach people should the need arise.I've also gradually forwarded all my saved emails to 4 other email addresses so nothing is in the saved folder. I then deleted that folder.I've been changing my email address for things I subscribe to away from Yahoo.Since I am stuck with FF 2 on my eeepc, unless I want to hack and update to v3 (I can't install anything higher, on the outdated distro on it), if Yahoo stops supporting this, then traveling with my eeepc will be worthless as far as getting Yahoo email. When we travel, I mainly like to check and clean out email boxes so I don't have a week or two worth to go through when we return. The screen size is 7" and the new and improved version will not work on a small screen size. So, if Yahoo doesn't want to support my tiny netbook, Yahoo email is worthless to me.

frapper thinks Yahoo might just cut off classic users by the end of the year.
It's already happened Liz. Both of my Yahoo accounts have the new look. One of them I consented to deliberately when asked about switching over. I held off on switching the other account for as long as I could and one day suddenly when I logged in, I got the new inbox.

The other annoyance is a second window which always pops, which then asks me to friend some guy or gal with a Finnish sounding name. I suspect it might be Urmas(?) I don't want to say either yes or no because I don't know who the person is (no included message, just some sort of 'friending' request)....Any help and suggestions appreciated...
If indeed it was Urmas who was trying to contact you, don't you think he would have let you know by now that he was trying to add you as a friend by contacting yoiu through alternative means? (forum PM). :hysterical: I really don't think it's anyone from the boards trying to contact you. I have seen that request several times throughout this year and mostly it's just spammers and miscreants with fake names like "Trixie" or "Lisa" trying to add me as a friend hoping that I will take the bait. Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

Clutter,First of all, no... I don't use Yahoo for any power user stuff. I just use it for searching. Oh, and I do have a very old and much used Yahoo mail account. About the mail... I don't experience any of those things you mention above when using Firefox w/ Adblock+ and NoScript. Also, I rarely ever go to Yahoo's website for email. I access my Yahoo email account via Thunderbird using the Webmail/Yahoo extension. I've done it this way for ages. Works wonderfully for me. :)I would bet that your Yahoo issues are just a matter of settings within your Yahoo webpages. Poke around and see what you can find in the email options area of Yahoo's website. Also, I've always found their "Help" area to be quite useful. They'll even chat with you LIVE, I think, to help solve a problem.Luck with it.And no. I'm not naive enough to think that Yahoo isn't using me and my data as a product like Google does. It's just that Yahoo seems to be less evil about it at this time. That could always change. Then it'll be DuckDuckGo for me, I guess. :hysterical:

I do access Yahoo email with my browsers. I still have a classic, the previous upgrade the current update on at least one account. I have used various browsers and OS's , have never encountered Yahoo stealing focus.The secondary window is a spamming attempt from somewhere in the internet, not even from Yahoo Land necessarily.btw: i keep the classic for a 3rd party email retrieval program, the previous upgrade was quite pleasant - no complaints.Still working around the current version , no opinion yet.

Cluttermagnet
Sorry, just saw this now. Nope. Not me. I do not even have a Yahoo account.
Hi, Urmas-Well, just for general info, the party's name is Teodora Pukkila, as close as I can remember it. Sounds like a girl, not a guy, anyway. So now I can go and click on decline, I guess. Definitely sounds Finnish to me, BTW, thus my dilemma.How I continue to run classic email is as follows- if logging on, after I get the regular looking Yahoo portal window, if I hover the mouse over Email, I get a popup option to the right, something like 'Quick Mail' or whatever. I click on that and a few email headers are shown. I click on any of the emails, and then from there, I select Inbox. Then comes the old style inbox for me.OTOH if I click the mouse over email instead of Quick Mail, I always seem to get the upgrade email invite page. That page I consistently close.If I leave sessions of old style Yahoo email running, then shut down, when I reboot, they come back up in the old style. Liz, you are way ahead of me. I guess I better take the same precautions and start moving stuff pretty soon. Hope I don't run out of time.

Cluttermagnet
I do access Yahoo email with my browsers. I still have a classic, the previous upgrade the current update on at least one account. I have used various browsers and OS's , have never encountered Yahoo stealing focus.The secondary window is a spamming attempt from somewhere in the internet, not even from Yahoo Land necessarily.btw: i keep the classic for a 3rd party email retrieval program, the previous upgrade was quite pleasant - no complaints.Still working around the current version , no opinion yet.
Yeah, still haven't figured that out yet, but it's something about chat. I have never encouraged Yahoo in any way regarding chat (to the best of my recollection) but maybe in the distant past... Maybe I saw them at one time as an AIM alternative(?) Anyway, it's a new behavior. In the past they have never nagged me about chat anything. The stealing focus thing is certainly new. I was astonished when I first saw that. Also the use of alert noises is new, I've never seen before until just recently.

V.T. Eric Layton
it automatically places my nephews g+ invites into the Spam folder :-D
HAHA! I need to find a way to do that with all those Facebook invites I get. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
another thing I like about my Yahoo Mail - it automatically places my nephews g+ invites into the Spam folder :-D
Funny! :whistling: Yahoo is a little retarded. It is regularly putting some wanted emails in my Spam folder. I check it regularly. No major problem IMO.
HAHA! I need to find a way to do that with all those Facebook invites I get. :whistling:
I keep a low profile. Nobody invites me anywhere. Just as well.An example of synchronicity- Betty and I were discussing the whole phenomenon recently- all the services, all the stupid games played thereon, etc. She once had an invite to LinkedIn or whatever, asked me about it, I recommended she not even get started. Not only do I have privacy concerns from day one (late 1990's), but I think that what happens in a lot of venues is so banal and vapid. As if life itself hinged on how many people want to friend you or follow you or invite you- and you're nobody in many circles if you haven't the necessary credentials "Wow- she has over a thousand followers on Twitter!" :) OK, page reads- perhaps some sort of a measure of a writer's skill, I suppose. Doesn't mean much to me, personally. I have a site with several pages on fairly popular if arcane ham radio antenna topics. Fairly often, I get email questions from people who visited my site. That feels good, I suppose, and I get a chance to help others- a few others- one at a time. That's enough for me.Sign me "Semi-flamboyant anonymous coward". :hysterical:The good guys hang out on sites like this venue, quietly help others, and they share their enthusiasm for and enjoyment of life. And computers. And Linux. And a host of other fascinating things. I love my ham radio venues. Great help and ideas generators, and they afford me an opportunity to 'give back'.

securitybreach

I use Google+ a bit too much I think:

People in your circles (957) People who've added you (200)
Of course most of the people are separated into various circles and a big majority are in my Linux circle.

V.T. Eric Layton
Not necessarily... "...Vic Gundotra revealed that Google will eventually support other forms of identity." I'm not sure that's a win. I'm not sure the Guduntra means that Google is going to allow anonymity/pseudonymity. That's not quite what he said.We'll see.Regardless, I won't be going back to G+. It was just a distracting waste of time. But hey... isn't that pretty much what my entire cyber existence is? ;)Think I'll go read a book now...

V.T. Eric Layton
What does "identity service" mean and why is it bad?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...ty_as_a_serviceAs to why it's bad? That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it's bad because it eliminates individual privacy and the choice to remain anonymous. The Internet, to me, should be about knowledge. You should neither be required to identify yourself to gain access to knowledge, nor should you have to pay for it. It should be anonymous and free.... always.

securitybreach
The Internet, to me, should be about knowledge. You should neither be required to identify yourself to gain access to knowledge, nor should you have to pay for it. It should be anonymous and free.... always.
:hysterical: ;) :thumbup: