The Name Game

Jeber

What shall we call ourselves?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to confuse the issue some more, and provide one more place I'll have to check to decide a winner...Corrine has suggested we do this via a poll. It closes on December 31st (as late as I can afford to stay up).

The way its going, Jeber, you won't have much trouble. With 29 views, there's only 8 votes. :'( Hey, all you Highlanders, Scotters, Scotties, Sniffers, Scots, Scotans, and "Others" its time to pick your favorite! If not, I refuse to be responsible for what Jeber calls us. (Um, you have seen his "advice" column, haven't you?)

I'm now actively lobbying for "Highlanders". after all, (as Fran reminded us somewhere) "There Can Be Only One." I think the problem to the single word approach is context. the various "names" should be thunk of in a sentence like: "I would be willing to bet that a good majority of the Highlanders here already know that." :thumbsup: as opposed to "I would be willing to bet that a good majority of the Sniffers here already know that. " B) see what I mean??

Guest LilBambi

Yeah! Go Highlanders! There can only be one ... SFNL Forums :)It is really nice to see a good mix of choices though.(Hope Jeber is keeping count of those who have changed their vote in the postings! LOL!)

How many of you are going to beat me up if I type "Hilanders" (two less letters...told you I was looking for a lazy solution) instead of "Highlanders"? :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Jeber,Was there any particular reason to use Hilanders instead of Highlanders besides two less letters? :blink:They both would work ... I guess ... but personally I like Highlanders better. :thumbsup:

Was there any particular reason to use Hilanders instead of Highlanders besides two less letters?
No. :D With one day left to decide, it appears we're deadlocked on Highlanders, Scotters and Sniffers. I believe we have our finalists. 24 hours to make the final choice. Oooo, you can just feel the excitement building. ;) Oh, never mind, it was just the coffee. ;)

Cluttermagnet

Clutter puts Highlanders ahead 5-4-... Film at eleven.Sneaky poll, Jeebs- it did not show up in my "View New Posts". I had to sniff it out by looking in the Cooler (snicker!) Hey, this website smells good! I smell fresh air- and breakfast! (Thanx Firesign Theatre) ;) ;)

Guest Paracelsus

I'm not sure this Poll was designed fairly. I mean..."Highlanders" is the first choice, and it also has received the most votes.I've a feeling some people were just being lazy and voting for the list topper :P :devil: :devil:

Cluttermagnet
I'm not sure this Poll was designed fairly.  I mean..."Highlanders" is the first choice, and it also has received the most votes.I've a feeling some people were just being lazy and voting for the list topper :P  :devil:  :devil:
Probably true, Paracelsus. Maybe Jeber will play safe and name us the "Nonamers". :P I once named my parakeet Noname. It didn't seem to bother him. Homer wrote one of his adventurous ditties with a mischievous character who called himself "Noman". Heh! (No, I'm not talking about Homer Simpson) :lol: FWIW, I think Highlanders sounds the most 'glamorous' and is somehow the most inclusive, considering the underlying Scots frame of reference. It would also require the most frequent and detailed explanations to curious newbies wondering about its derivation. BTW did anyone ever bother to ask Scot if he has Scottish ancestry? Not that it concerns me one way or the other. I do, BTW. Finnie sounds Irish to me. ;) Anyone want to trade me a shamrock and a pot 'o gold for this delectable dish made from the boiled stomach of a sheep tastefully wrapped in plaid gift wrap? :P Oh, all right- I'll shut up. It's in your hands, Jeebs. Don't let us down, me boy! I bet you now rue the day when you put in for that security clearance. We all wait with bated breath by the water cooler for this new years event...

scofins...it sounds like a cross between a scone and a muffin and has the distinction of using the first three letters in Scot Finnie's first and surnames.

Guest Paracelsus
BTW did anyone ever bother to ask Scot if he has Scottish ancestry? Not that it concerns me one way or the other. I do, BTW
You Betcha, CM. Chock full of it... or so he says. Can't recall if it's in the "Official" Forum records, or in one the early "Trial" Forums. But there was one (old) thread where several of us mentioned our Scots ancestry. Try running a search for Scots or Scots-Irish. Nevermind...I found it here :P Hi, We're Here Just Scroll down to Scot's post (All the smilies are missing as this dates from an earlier version of IPB.
scofins...it sounds like a cross between a scone and a muffin
:P :P :lol: (If anyone's interested... I have a recipe for The World's BEST Scones. The Scots kind of course. Not those wimpy English Tea things) ;)
Wouldn't that make the forum rules "scof-laws"? Hmmm...  :devil: 
I've a feeling many of us are natural born Scofflaws B) :devil: :D