Yahoo mail

zlim

I'll be the first to admit I do not like change. I've been using Yahoo mail for 13 years (according to the email they sent me) and I'm still using the Classic Interface because I like it.The new version apparently will still let me use my classic interface according to Yahoo's help.Yesterday I got a new screen when I signed it trying to tempt me to the new version. I read over the fine print and found "no thanks, I'll use the classic interface".It looks the same. I'm not sure if I've been upgraded or not but one troubling thing I have noticed: spams are now arriving in my inbox. I had 5 last night. I didn't have to open them to know they were spam. Yahoo has been great for several years at determining what is spam and placing it into my spam folder.Has anyone else gotten spam in their inbox?

I got a couple today. I think they're punishing users who want to stay with 'Classic'. Just my paranoid outlook. It also seems slower to respond lately.

Hello,Yahoo! offers a popular webmail service, so it could just be that spammers are expending some effort to bypass Yahoo's antispam filters.Or it could just be a coincidence. Have you tried temporarily logging in via the new user interface to see if that makes any difference, spam-wise?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

AG, I haven't done that. So far I have not received spam in my inbox since that first day. Perhaps it was a one-time glitch. At least I can hope it was.

yahoomaillogo.jpgStill a Classic geek.
Hmmm!! I have 24 in the spam box vs 1 in my inbox but I must have missed the option to stick with "classic" and I can't find a way to switch back. So I can't test to see if the spam handling is now different in "classic" view.

I think this was just coincidence. If they wanted you to go to the "new" interface, surely they could require it without resorting to flooding your inbox with spam (which, if exposed as truth, would result in people no longer trusting them). Every once in a while my gmail inbox gets a few spam messages slip through. It's just the cost of doing business, to me.

lewmur, this might get you back to the classic viewhttp://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymai...ettings-33.htmlLet me know if it works because I'm not "trying" the latest version until they force it on me.Maybe this toohttp://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/clas...nysieDytToduyR4And this

If you still do not want to upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, you will have the option to access your mail through Yahoo! Mail Classic. Instructions on how to do so will be available soon.
Source: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/clas...4gVp1rkWCC0jntGdated June 20 2011hahaha, apparently frapper and I are not the only luddites who wish to retain the classic view.Here are two hacks I found posted at yahoo answers.
Two Methods to Switch back to Classic Mail:First Method:A •Safe Work Around• - in Firefox or Google Chrome Browser.(Did Not Work In IE8)Click "Tools".....click "Options"......click "Content"UN-check/Disable •enable JavaScript•click OK.Log back in to Yahoo! Mail through Your Browser -- Switch to Classic Mail....THEN RE-Enable your Java Script.=============================2nd Method:Lower your Screen Display Resolution:When The Screen Resolution is too Low for the "New Yahoo! Mail" (formerly Beta),A message appears asking "Do you want to switch to Mail Classic?"Click ►"Yes"......Once Done, RE-Set your Screen Resolution.♦IMPORTANT NOTE -- Do The Screen Resolution in Stages!A Screen Resolution less than the Original Setting causes Unstable Effectsin the way web pages and formats appears.
I found a more detailed explanation of Method 1
In your "Firefox Browser" do this:click "Tools"......click "Options"......click "Content"♦UN-check •enable JavaScript•Now, Log Back in to Yahoo! Mail through Your Browser, to switch to Classic Mail....1. Click "Help▼" in the Upper Left-hand side of the Beta Mail screen.2. Scroll down, click ► "Return to Original Mail" (or "Leave the Mail Preview")3. Complete the brief questionnaire, then click "Continue"4. Allow the mail page to Reformat...
Edited by zlim

Let me know if it works because I'm not "trying" the latest version until they force it on me.
Why? There's nothing to lose - if you don't like it you can always switch back. I recently signed up for a new account and I'm using their new look. I like it.(I also have a couple of very old yahoo account where I'm using the classic interface - I've thought about switching to the new look but I've been procrastinating on it because it's not exactly on my 'priority' list right now.) The classic look (while it's very simple) is getting stale for me. I will eventually switch all my accounts to the new look.

V.T. Eric Layton

I rarely visit Yahoo's webmail site. I access my Yahoo via Thunderbird (using the Webmail/Yahoo extension). I've been doing it that way for years now. I do occasionally fire up the webmail page, though, just to check that no important mail has been sent to my SPAM folder by accident. I'm using the newer interface. Have been for a while now. No extra SPAM for me this week. ;)

Tushman

if you don't like it you can always switch back.
Please detail the steps because lewmur hasn't been able to do this.

...............Has anyone else gotten spam in their inbox?
I've been getting lots of it for years.....BUT, I (Kind of) asked for it.Ever since they stopped POP/SMTP for free users, I've been using it to sign up for internet freebies....Unless I'm expecting a "confirmation" mail, I check it approximately monthly and delete just about everything.

I'm not sure that works since it was posted in March 2011 when it was still beta. In the latest update, I'm reading that Options was eliminated.Can you confirm or deny this?

I'm not sure that works since it was posted in March 2011 when it was still beta. In the latest update, I'm reading that Options was eliminated.Can you confirm or deny this?
Well it looks like to be they've removed the option.
Can I switch back to a previous version of Mail?We have removed the "Return to Original Mail" link from the help menu as we're strongly encouraging all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail. We will continue to invest heavily in the latest version of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more compelling features to our users.We know that changing to a new interface can seem daunting, so we’ve done everything possible to make the transition easy. We have created help pages specifically for users who have recently switched to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, highlighting differences that you may notice: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymai...amnoswitch.html

They switched my account, but when I went to visit with my SeaMonkey , i was informed that my browser was not supported. they provided a link to just go back to the 'basic' version.