WinXP SP2

eksimba

I came across this Microsoft document today, which describes in detail the changes to be implemented by the upcoming Windows XP Service Pack 2.I found particularly interesting the section (towards the bottom of the doc) where they describe the various Internet Explorer pop-up blocking/handling techniques. Not only will you be able to block pop-ups, but IE will limit where the pop-ups can be placed on the screen, display of 'chrome' features, etc. Interesting read.WinXPSP2_Documentation.doc

I found particularly interesting the section (towards the bottom of the doc) where they describe the various Internet Explorer pop-up blocking/handling techniques. Not only will you be able to block pop-ups, but IE will limit where the pop-ups can be placed on the screen, display of  'chrome' features, etc. Interesting read.
people still use IE???? :huh: MS is a few years late and a billion dollars short... er.. i mean, richer. :rolleyes:

That's the point, though, as 90+ percent of users out there still browse with IE. If the default manner in which IE handles popups changes, it's going to affect the way whole lot of websites show up on screens across the world (and not just those websites that use popup advertisements).

Well put Eksimba. And it will eventually put many "popup stopper" sites out of business too. <_<
True, but it's about time that MSIE had some built-in features like this, as it is way out of date for these types of things in comparison with other browsers like Mozilla.Most average users will probably never (know that they can) use something other than the "Big Blue E on the desktop" to surf the web. Then they go and complain about pop-ups and what not. I'm glad to see Microsoft finally doing something about this.

Dave PCPitstop

Yes, it's taken Microsoft a while to do a popup stopper, but does anyone recall what happened when MS first tried to incorporate spam blocking into Outlook Express? A court ordered them to stop doing it:http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/bluemt/...t/bluemtnpr.aspNow imagine what might happen when SP2 comes out and the popup folks find out their ads aren't working anymore. "Why, it's an outrage! Microsoft is taking money away from my site! I will sue those monopolistic scum!"I am not exaggerating here. Remember, there are already several lawsuits against folks like Gator that are about whether a third party company (Gator) has the right to change the way a web site appears on YOUR computer. That is what a popup stopper does too. So why aren't people suing Mozilla already? Because IE has the market share. Plus, who do you sue in an open source project?I think that Microsoft has only become willing to fight this battle lately because confusing popup dialogs are being used in social engineering attacks that trick users into installing software or making other bad decisions. And that's making Windows look bad.

Good point, Dave. This whole thing could get a lot more interesting before it's done.I know we are doing our best to encourage everyone to at least consider moving to Mozilla/Firebird. The subject keeps popping up (pun intended) in almost every forum, from Windows to Linux.