Debian Squeeze HP onboard C51 nVidia video SOLVED

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED but wanted to share what happened and how it was fixed.Hi, had a very interesting night and morning installing Debian Squeeze on my nice AMD64 system with nVidia onboard PCIe video, 4GB RAM.All would go well and then it would reboot after install and then the screen would go blank/lose sync/out of range (orange suspend monitor light would come on), after the kernel loaded. Even the terminal wouldn't come up on ALT F1, F2 etc.Reinstalled a couple times, tried from two different disks, all during thunderstorm threats last night.We tried several things including changing the terminal to non-graphical mode which worked again until the kernel loaded. Funny thing is we were able to get in blindly logging in as root on ALT F1 and then init 6 to reboot the computer to update grub after making that change in Knoppix.Then when securitybreach got up this morning, he found this Ubuntu posting for me and I was able to 'test' it using 'e' on the grub boot before the kernel loaded and it worked after doing CNTRL X and booted right in! (Course I just had quiet and not the other part, but it worked). So while I was in there, I went into grub config and changed 'quiet' to 'nomodeset' (sans quotes) and been happily installing stuff. Thanks securitybreach and nucleuskore over at ubuntu forums! :thumbsup:Still need to get nVidia drivers eventually but at least I am in KDE (boy did that change since Lenny), and will install LXDE as well, but for now...I am just enjoying installing and running Debian Squeeze!

V.T. Eric Layton

I may have to try this because this is exactly the issue I was having trying to install Deb on my two AMD64 systems. Thanks for posting this. :yes:

• 2 months later...
Guest LilBambi

Installed Debian Squeeze 64 on the same computer and had to use this again. Which is one of the reasons I posted this answer! :DIt should help others as well. It's helped me twice! :thumbsdown: