Good article on diff btwn Unix & Win programming

ibe98765

"What are the cultural differences between Unix and Windows programmers? There are many details and subtleties, but for the most part it comes down to one thing: Unix culture values code which is useful to other programmers, while Windows culture values code which is useful to non-programmers."-- From my review of this month's book of the month, Eric S. Raymond's "The Art of Unix Programming" Biculturalism http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Bic...ulturalism.html

Good article!

Yes, we all eat food, but over there, they eat raw fish with rice using wood sticks, while over here, we eat slabs of ground cow on bread with our hands.
What a wonderful image to start the article with :wacko: I don't have any real programming experience on either side, but, i'd say that the author is probably correct in saying:
Unix culture values code which is useful to other programmers, while Windows culture values code which is useful to non-programmers
Of course, their are exceptions and Linux is becomming more and more user friendly. Very imformative article that makes me want to take a closer look at that book.Thanks for posting ;)

Good article. I don't really think that Linux is that hard to use for beginners at least if you stick to GNOME or KDE but sometimes an X application can crash and not tell you why or even say that it did. A Windows user would expect some kind of error message and I agree that showing one would be a superior way of doing it.