Arch Linux Adventure

amenditman

Just do it. 120GB can be found for under 100 bucks and you'll regret not getting one sooner. You only need big enough to put the OS on.

Currently, the price is a solid 50 cents per GB. I see them on sale for that price all the time.

Today at Newegg, Samsung 840 128GB SSD is $114.99 (with promo code EMCYTZT5832)

Edited by amenditman

securitybreach

Well as far as speed, all of my Sata drives are Sata III at 6 Gb/s and run at 7200rpm. That and they all are WD Caviar Black Editions which are more expensive but super fast. I have 6 of these drives on this rig: http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B0036Q7MV0

Granted they are not as fast as SSDs but they are among the fastest spinning drives available.

abarbarian

You should try to do your install on a two drive system, one SSD and one HDD.

It is really a pain, and a lot of extra work, to minimize writes to the SSD for swap, /temp, /var, browser cache, and some other misc. stuff.

As well as, the SSD should never be more than 60 - 70 % full to optimize wear leveling.

I wore out my 60 GB drive in less than a year because of learning/experimenting.

Here is my, CRAZY, partition scheme

NAME	 SIZE FSTYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda	 55.9G				
├─sda2	 2G ext4	 /boot	
├─sda3 15G ext4 /		
└─sda4 38.9G ext4 /home	
sdb 465.8G				
├─sdb1 15G ext4 /tmp	
├─sdb2 15G ext4 /var	
├─sdb3	 5G ext4 /var/log
├─sdb4 10G swap			
├─sdb5 150G ext4 /Data	
└─sdb6 150G ext4 /Music	
sdc 465.8G				
├─sdc1 100M ntfs			
├─sdc2 74.9G ntfs		
└─sdc3 10G swap [sWAP]

Why have two such very large SWAP partitions.

I know that you can get a speed boost by having swap on two or three different drives. But twenty GB !!! :w00tx100:

Thanks for the tips.

I thought ?boot on Arch had to be ext2 ?

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

I know that you can get a speed boost by having swap on two or three different drives. But twenty GB !!! :w00tx100:

Thanks for the tips.

I thought ?boot on Arch had to be ext2 ?

Yeah there is no need for a swap that large.

What are you talking about when you say the boot partition on Arch has to be ext2???? All of my partitions are ext4.

BTW you only need one swap partition as multiple distros can use the same /swap partition with zero issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the wiki has changed or I misread, I thought ext2 was for boot maybe it was for another distro.

As to SWAP yes I know you can use multi distros on one swap. If you can put a swap on several drives you get a smart speed boost.

Though with huge stores of ram on modern pc's this is not so relevant. Possibly useful for video or similar work on a pc with small ram.

http://linux.about.com/od/ptn_howto/a/hwtptn10t02.htm

:shifty:

Edited by abarbarian

Yes you can use ext2 for /boot. The reference you are probably thinking about is that ext2 does not use journaling and is better suited to partitions with mostly static content, such as boot. By using ext2 you will get an infinitessimal (but measurable by cpu time) speed boost over ext4.

I have two swaps on two different drives because you will get a user measurable speed boost for any swap activity by doing so. HDD's are slow.

They are huge because I had basically unlimited storage available on those drives.

If you look closely you will see,

sdb 465.8 GB and only 345 GB dedicated to partitions

sdc 465.8 GB and only 85 GB dedicated to partitions

• Like 1

:worthy: amenditman.

Did you,

It is possible to write to all three simulataneously. If each has the same priority, the kernel will write to them much like a RAID, with commensurate speed increases.

/dev/hda6 none swap sw,pri=3 0 0

/dev/hdb2 none swap sw,pri=3 0 0

/dev/hdc2 none swap sw,pri=3 0 0

Notice that these three partitions are on separate drives, which is ideal in terms of speed enhancement.

http://linux.about.com/od/ptn_howto/a/hwtptn10t02.htm

:breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

Multiple /swaps? Separate drives? Speed boost? BAH! If you're using a relatively modern system with sufficient RAM, none of your Linux OS's should EVER access /swap for anything. So, basically... you're just wasting partition space by having multiple /swaps across multiple drives.

That's how I sees it, anyway. ;)

Well if I ever get around to gaming on me Arch on me oldish set up with not much ram speed tweaks may be of interest to me at least.

Besides I quite like having a fiddle. I'm not as jaded and sated as you ol' timers. o:)

Multiple /swaps? Separate drives? Speed boost? BAH! If you're using a relatively modern system with sufficient RAM, none of your Linux OS's should EVER access /swap for anything. So, basically... you're just wasting partition space by having multiple /swaps across multiple drives.

That's how I sees it, anyway. ;)

You're not wrong.

But like I said, I have partition space to waste and some to spare.

My desktop has 16 GB DDR3 Ram. Every once in a while I will see some swap activity, I admit it is rare.

Besides I quite like having a fiddle. I'm not as jaded and sated as you ol' timers. o:)

Same here. Edited by amenditman
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

So how is the Arch Adventure these days ??

:228823:

I found reading through the thread from the start quite amusing and shocking. My my how time flies and tech advances. :breakfast: