{SOLVED} Some changes to Xorg?

ichase

Greetings,Re-installed Arch on the lappy with the lastest ISO with updates from 5/16 (thanks Josh for the link). Installation went off with out a hitch. When I attempted to install xorg and mesa I noticed something completely different.Message came up stating there was 86 occurances of Xorg. Select which ones you want you enter for all (default). I looked through the packages and noticed all of the ones that I needed. All of the XF86 video and input devices were there. I selected enter and installed all packages. Would just use the ones I needed as I needed them. Installation went well. Checked my X11 file and all required conf files were in place.Then under user, I attempted to copy the .xinitrc file from /etc/skel and received the file did not exist response. Did some reading on the Arch forum, Xorg Wiki etc. Read where I can just go ahead and create the .xinitrc file in ~/ under user. So I created the file and attempted to "StartX" I had already installed all of the other packages that I wanted. When I typed "startx" at the prompt, it came back with "bash startx command does not exist" It's obvious that something has changed in regards to Xorg but I can't find corespondace or wiki's stating a change.Any thoughts, or anyone have the same issue?All the best,IanEdit: Forgot to mention that I did attempt to configure X with

Xorg -configure

noticed some errors and the xorg.conf file was never generated in my X11 directory which explains why when I attempt to startx I am told that command does not exist.

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Well I am completely confused as it seems like Xorg is not installed on your machine. The /etc/skel file is part of Xorg. I do not know why you got 86 occurrences of Xorg considering I only have 4 packages installed relating to Xorg:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 09:35 AM ╚═══ ~-> pacman -Ss xorg-server | grep installedextra/xorg-server 1.10.1-1 [1.24 MB] (xorg) [installed]extra/xorg-server-common 1.10.1-1 [0.02 MB] [installed]extra/xorg-server-utils 7.6-2 [0.00 MB] [installed]extra/xorg-server-xephyr 1.10.1-1 [0.73 MB] [installed]

Wait, did you install Xorg or xorg-server? xorg-server is what you need. Your getting all of those “drivers” at once because xorg 1.10 went into the official repos, and you must have installed the whole “xorg” group package when you first installed it.More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginn...Guide#Install_Xhttps://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107487It looks like the installing X part of the tutorial has changed since I wrote it. I updated the changes on my tutorial. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Well in looking at the 86 packages that make up Xorg, xorg-server was one of them. Before last night, anytime I would install xorg and mesa, it was about 5 files. Normally you would move .xinitrc to ~/ set that up and run the WM of choice. Along with that, you would have to seperately install the xf86 video package, xf86 input packages which would populate your xorg.conf.d directory with the appropriate conf files. I have those but not the .xinitrc or the xorg.conf files that normally get populated upon installation. I wish I could have made a screen shot, but was not even at that point of having scrot installed yet.I wonder if I can create the xorg.conf file myself to see it that would work. I doubt it, as "startx" seems to be it's own seperate executable file.When I run the same grep command I get this"

[ichase@ichase01 ~]$ pacman -Ss xorg-server | grep installedextra/xorg-server 1.10.1-1 [1.24 MB] (xorg) [installed]extra/xorg-server-common 1.10.1-1 [0.02 MB] [installed]

This evening I am going to attempt to re-install xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils and see if I have any luck there.And to answer the first question, I installed xorg not xorg-server

Edited by ichase

Well I installed (xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils; xorg-server was already installed) last night. All seemed to go well, except that I still did not have an xorg.conf. No big deal considering to get my ATI video to work on this lappy, I get rid of it anyway. Started X and AHHHHHHH I was in my Openbox WM. I had already installed all of the programs I wanted at the time so the next step will be to set up my ~/.config/menu.xml. Hopefully now, with the lastest build with updates, this lappy will be working with Arch for a long time. :)Thanks for the help and guidance Josh. One of these days, I hope to get the opportunity to help you for a change. :hysterical:All the best,IanThis post can be marked as {SOLVED} I thought I could just edit my first post and edit the thread title but that option is not available to a non-admin on these boards I guess. :clap:

Edited by ichase