Post Install Comments/Questions 9.2

jodef

Install went really well as usual detected mostly everything one glitch at end while trying to configure video card screen went colored I had to shut down thought the install was hosed but on restart it seemed to detect video card and completed install of Lilo.One issue though modem not correctly detected from previous posts I was able to sort out problem. Something about modem on COM 5 ie ttyS4 Two post install questions:1. How do I change the screen resolution?(using KDE at the moment)2. When I scroll down in the web browser there is a sort of ripple movement is that normal if not how can I get rid of that effect?3. The find files shortcut I cannot find it how can I locate/install it?General comments:Install easy as usual with exception of video card config which gave me a scare. Kppp dialer wasn't installed by default maybe because I messed with packages to install although can't recall removing anything.Screen is alot less cluttered too nice.Would have appreciated connect to internet icon remaining instead of having to look for dialer.Otherwise install quite simple.Would appreciate your help.Thx.

jodef, whatever you want to change systemwise, tool is MCC (Mandrake Control Center).Go to your "K"menu (similar to "Start" on Windows), "Configuration" and select "Configure your computer".It will prompt you for root password and off you go.Be carefull as what you doing since you are doing it with "root" privileges.There you will find all tools.Weavy, ripple movement tells me that you don't have 3D drivers loaded for your video card.Software is doing rendering now so ripple is known artifact on many video chipsets.For your video chipset I am not sure is there 3D support.Did you find it on Mandrake HCL?I can't remember "Find" shortcut, though I might be going old :D but easy finding files would be through "Konsole".First do an "updatedb" as "su" (or Super User, aka root), then you can use command "locate".First time "updatedb" might take couple of minutes to finish but later "locate" will give you instant result.

$su(type in password here)#updatedb.....after it is done click CTRL+D, that will take you back to regular user$locate ....(name of the file)
I hope this help.

For your video chipset I am not sure is there 3D support.Did you find it on Mandrake HCL?
Said the chipset was known to work Sis 305 AGP though my card is PCI is there anyway to disable effect maybe.

I don't know about the ripple, but you can drag anything to your desktop as a shortcut or to the toolbar across the bottom. I have added "configure your computer" to my toolbar as well as my Galeon and Evolution. Are you referring to things not being on your menu? If so you can update through the system tab in the Menu by selecting "menudrake" or you can do the command line thing from a console:

Then open a console and type :- be root (admin) by typing "su" (and your root password), and type "update-menus"- if it does not fix your menus, as a user (in console, type CTRL+D if you were root, or open a new console), then type "update-menus"

Didn't know whether to start a new thread but since it was related I decided topost here.Tuxracer,Chromium wont run hour glass rotates for about 2 mins and just disappears related to video card maybe?

I believe that is due to lack of 3D support.I did a bit of search (I have no experience with Sis whatsoever) and came up with almost nothing.I would suggest you to try looking for "MESA" driver on your Mandrake CD's and try loading that.I hope I got it right since a lot of info about Sis is discouraging.If you care about technical details you can read up here or on his DRI page.If you want to mess with kernel compiling and/or modules for kernel go ahead, you'll have full 3D support, but try first finding MESA drivers on your distro CD :D.However I liked this quote from his web site that shows how much hussle some of the open source programmers and engineers have to go through to get us working linux.It looks like situation is improoving recently and going for better, especially both ATI and Nvidia started releasing better driver support.

I. Introduction1. Why this page?Despite the cute Linux logos on their Linux drivers page, SiS is unfortunately one of those companies that do not support Linux or XFree86. They don't (and will not) release any documentation on their products (with a few exceptions) and write drivers only for Microsoft's DOS-extensions (called "Windows" by many people; and yes, "windows" is a trademark). Although they have released Linux/Xfree86 drivers previously and have released a (binary) driver for the 650, these are and were heavily buggy and not developed any further from a certain point. In other words: Their linux/XFree86 drivers are useless. If you have a notebook, you don't even need to consider trying them.Although I never signed any NDA, I managed to get some information after a couple of months bugging them, but not only has this information been incomplete, it was even simply wrong sometimes. Even though some SiS employees are into Linux and/or XFree86, the official corporate position seems to be strictly "No Linux". This policy goes even as far as the graphics department is keeping information secret from other employees.In June, 2003, the SiS graphics department has been merged with Trident's graphics department, together forming a new company which goes by the name of XGI. What this means for the future of SiS graphics chips is yet to be seen.Before starting, there are some technical details you should know about in order to be able to configure XFree86 or the Linux kernel properly. I am really sorry not being able to provide you with a "God system" which configures itself automagically. Instead, consider this information as a kind of installation guide that goes beyond Plug & Pray; it will help you solve problems more easily. But don't worry: At least the XFree86 driver is nearly fully capable of configuring itself.

It´s not completely clear to me . . . I remember Cyber having the same problem in Suse . . . the wavy rippling when scrolling . . . but I´m not sure if it was caused by the mouse drivers ( not chosen the generic, but the intellimouse ones ) or the graphic card . . . but I´m sure he solved the problem.:D Bruno

It´s not completely clear to me . . . I remember Cyber having the same problem in Suse . . . the wavy rippling when scrolling . . . but I´m not sure if it was caused by the mouse drivers ( not chosen the generic, but the intellimouse ones ) or the graphic card . . .  but I´m sure he solved the problem.:) Bruno
It has nothing to do with mouse, trust me.I've had same issue at work where I have some low-end video card and pure generic mouse with generic drivers (not even scrool wheel).Same rippling, though maybe not as harsh, just down the screen.As soon as he manages to load 3d driver I am positive it will go away :(

Zox I'm very comfortable with everything windows but new to linux will sift thru info to see if I can make some progress.You're right the Sis info does look very discouraging thus far.Will let you know how it goes chances are you will here from me soon one way or the other.Thx for all the assistance thus far this is by far one of the most active linux forums I've come across. :)

Good, well after installation yo uhave to reboot.Do you notice any difference after reboot?Do you still get ripple.Do your games work?If no then it needs some configuring probably.Here is quote from our tips, it is related for Nvidia 3D but it should be same for Sis

In a console as normal user:$ glxinfo | grep renderingThis should return: ¨direct rendering: Yes¨Now type:$ gears( If you get an error message you have to install ¨MESA¨ and the ¨MESA demo package¨ it´s on your CD )If gears is installed a window will pop up with turning wheels in it, just drag it a bit to the side and watch your console all kind of numbers will appear:From my Gforce 2:2217 frames in 5.001 seconds = 443,311 FPS2231 frames in 5.000 seconds = 446,200 FPS2235 frames in 5.001 seconds = 446,911 FPSThe Gforce 4 can come to 660,000 FPSWithout 3D acceleration your FPS would be around 60,000 FPSSit back, see those numbers and finish that sixpack with that grin on your face !
Tips 3DCome back with results (crossed fingers) :)

Hey, Zox. I experienced the same ripple effect when I installed SUSE 9.0. I never did get it resolved. The Mobo has an onboard SIS Video w/ NVIDIA drivers. What I did was install MDK 9.2 on that same system and have no problems. I installed SUSE on my main system which has an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP and I have no problems. The ripple effect was a pain in the butt to deal w/. I had lots of video problems on that system when it was running SUSE. I tried other resolutions, but when I would mess w/ the video settings I would get no display and would end up reinstalling SUSE.

Zox I get the following I know I installed Mesa and the Mesa Demo Packageglxinfo | grep renderingLoading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.4.501direct rendering: NoHelp!! Sis (Seriously intolerable sh**) :(

Tried the gears cmd anyway and something must be wrong output looks like this:382 frames in 5.000 seconds = 76.400 FPS383 frames in 5.008 seconds = 76.478 FPS383 frames in 5.007 seconds = 76.493 FPS371 frames in 5.004 seconds = 74.141 FPS380 frames in 5.007 seconds = 75.894 FPS383 frames in 5.013 seconds = 76.401 FPS371 frames in 5.005 seconds = 74.126 FPS

The only thing I can think of suggesting is that you try lowering your bit-depth and then resolution to see if that makes the rippling go away. I believe in Mandrake you do this though its Control Center but I don't remember what it's called (using SuSE). Recommend you get another video card, though. You can get cheap PCI video cards that are known to work fine with Linux (like Matrox, for example) for under $10 on eBay.

Thx will check it out.Would you recommend any one in particular or will all work fine. Do you use ebay how is the experience never purchased anything there.
The Matrox Mystique card is one that I used to use that worked very well under many distributions of Linux. It has 2-4 MB of RAM, you'd want it with 4 MB if you could get it. Matrox Millennium cards are just as good, too. Neither of these are 3D cards so you can't play TuxRacer, for example. There are 3D PCI cards around, though. ATI cards are also well supported under Linux.Ebay is great for buying things. I usually save at least 50% on computer parts and software that I buy through them and have bought about a dozen products with no problems. You don't have to have a credit card as many individuals and companies will accept money orders, postal orders or personal cheques. If you're outside the US, you should choose the eBay for your particular country like http://ebay.ca for Canada or http://ebay.co.uk for Britain and so on. This helps you avoid charges like customs or brokerage fees.

Just an update:Decided to use my onboard video since that Sis card was aging me in the meantime I will look around for a good PCI video card.The onboard works fine except there are a few indications its lifetime is coming to an end.Just a question for you pro linux users why would tuxracer and chromium which worked fine under Man 8.2 with this onboard card not work under 9.2.Much more eyecandy too much for the card maybe?Gnuchess doesn't run either that one I can't figure out graphics shouldn't be a problem right what else could it be? I am an internet chess player so I care.Now that those little issues have been expressed will get a chance to use Man to get a little experience with linux.

Just a question for you pro linux users why would tuxracer and chromium which worked fine under Man 8.2 with this onboard card not work under 9.2.Much more eyecandy too much for the card maybe?
Difference is the 3D support. "glxgears --info" which i think is the equivalent of "gears" (I don't use SuSE) can have very different results with different distros on the same hardware. Rough estimate is that you need a miniumum of 200 frames/sec in glxgears to get usable performance from 3d games.