Ubuntu 11.04 & Win7 duel boot problem {SOLVED}

mhbell

I downloaded and installed the upgrade the first time. Total disaster. Managed to get back into Win 7. Deleted the old Ubuntu and did a clean install. Still had the following problem I could boot into Ubuntu after the install I had checked the restricted driver and update while installing options. It took over an hour for the install from CD. I was in the desktop and configured a few things including setting the desktop for Gnome instead of Unity. When I shut down and tried to boot into Win 7 I could not do it. It would take me to Ubuntu. I did a code

UPDAT-GRUB
. It found Ubuntu and Win 7. Shut Down and Rebooted the computer. No Grub Menu on boot up. I tried everything that I knew to try and get the Grub Menu to come up. Still no joy. I really needed to get back into Win 7 as I had some work to do and websites to take care of. So I went into code
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub.conf
I changed the Default on the menu to Win7 saved it and ran update grub again. Rebooted and the computer booted up without a grub menu, But because I had set the default to Win 7 it booted into win 7. Now I cant get a menu to get into Ubuntu. I have tried holding down the shift key the Esc key during boot in case the grub menu was somehow hidden even though I am duel booting. For single booting the grub menu is hidden by default. So I downloaded another ISO and burned it to CD. I formatted the Linux Partitions (ext4) and did a clean install using the defaults. Booted up and still no grub menu. had to edit the etc/default/grub again to set the default boot to win 7 to get back into it. Anyone else having the same problem? My Computer does have a Nvidia video card, but I am able to install the restricted drivers. I am sorry this is so long, But I try to be precise in my description of the problem. I know that this would be very frustrating for a new user or novice to Linux. Any suggestions.Mel :thumbsup: The Problem is SOLVED my post "Grub Menu Problem solved" in this thread Edited by mhbell

Solved Grub Menu Not showing in Dual Boot with Windows 7 is SolvedFor any of you in the forum having a problem with Grub Menu not showing in Ubuntu 11.04 Here is a simple fix.If you are dual booting and need the grub menu (of course you do). Then open a terminal and do the following:code

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
un-comment the line that says #GFX640x480 by removing the # sign. Save the file and in the terminal type code
sudo update-grub
that should take care of the problem and you should now have a grub menu at bootup. If you only have 1 OS then by default the Grub Menu is hidden. If you only have one OS and are not dual booting then you really don't need the grub menu unless you want mem check and maybe recover. To un-hide it do this: Open a terminal and type code
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
un-comment the line that says "Grub Menu Hidden save the file and in the terminal type code
sudo update-grub
I hope that this will help someone..Mel

Thanks for posting the resolution! I changed the topic to {SOLVED} for ya :thumbsup:
Thanks FranI would have done it myself, but did not know how. I have not done much in the forum for the past year and am kind of Rusty.Mel :thumbsup: