Fedora Core One

nilson

If you are a Red Hat fan then it is. I personally dumped it. I only went through the headaches of installing it to test it for daughter's computer in college. It did not want ot play nice with my Mandrake or other installed distros. Maybe it just did not like me. :)

As Julia mentioned: ["If you are a RedHat fan, then it is."]I would highly recommend adding "YUM", immediately after installation...it seems to take care of all updates, both security-wise and bugfix-wise, as well as upgrades. I have it installed, but if I would have to wait 6 days for the d/l, would much rather d/l "Slackware", "Mepis", and "VectorSOHO", and have 2 days left-over to play/configure. :) Here's the results of a search: (we report, you decide)Fedora threads/postsGood fortune - and have lots of fun!

I'm thinking about trying Gentoo again, then adding Mandrake and Mepis on one drive. I guess 80 gigs would suffice for three distros?Does that sound like a good setup? I have two of the options (Gentoo and Mandrake) on CD, and I can easily get Mepis.thanks for the reccommendations. :)EDIT: on the Mepis FTP server (Georgia Tech. mirror), will I want to get mepis-2003.10.cd1.iso and mepis-2003.10.cd2.iso? These are the correct packages, right?

Nilson quotes:

I'm thinking about trying Gentoo again, then adding Mandrake and Mepis on one drive. I guess 80 gigs would suffice for three distros?
...or 8 distro's, or perhaps more...
Does that sound like a good setup? I have two of the options (Gentoo and Mandrake) on CD, and I can easily get Mepis.
:) (Would definitely consider "Slackware"...jmo. :) )

Now that's dedication, nilson! Willing to wait six days for three discs. Have you looked at our Adopt-a-Dial-up-user program? Julia and Bruno came up with the idea of us broadband brats helping desperate dial-up dudes by sending them CDs.Personally, I've seen quite a few disappointing reviews of Fedora, but a fellow Red Hat fan said some of his friends have tried it and are happy with it.

:'( I bought it, $6.95 I think through Linuxcentral.com, also bought Gentoo. Some have said Fedora 1 is aka RH10, I can believe it, throughout the whole install/post install it is identical to RH8/9 with the exception that is says Fedora instead of Red Hat, but down in the tray it still has the Red Hat logo there. Now GENTOO .. hmmmmm ... am going to need a book on how to install that one, it has me stumped big time.

BarryB ... thanks, I shall check out the web site. I have the 2CD 1.4 version and it goes fine until it comes to the part where I know I am supposed to input something ... whatever that something is I got not a clue except that I need guidance from way up above. Also GENTOO needs to do something about the choices of backround colors during that install, it is mighty hard to read the very last line of it.YEAH .. Naval Communications forever

Yea...I have the CD's, have the printout..have the diskspace...lack the patience..but ...we shall get thereBTW USN OSC(SW) 1977-1998
Longgone and Barry, Gentoo tried my patience, too. When I learn how to follow instructions to the letter maybe I'll get it right . In my second attempt I did get to downloading the third stage and my connection failed. Wish you both luck!USN '62-'83 ASWBrown shoes :'(

volunteer::: I have the 2cd set already, downloaded the install insts from gentoo earlier today, that is a loooong download, now as BarryB say, the time an gots plenty of that... soooo.. now the ambition .

Yea...I have the CD's, have the printout..have the diskspace...lack the patience..but ...we shall get thereBTW USN OSC(SW) 1977-1998
Longgone and Barry, Gentoo tried my patience, too. When I learn how to follow instructions to the letter maybe I'll get it right . In my second attempt I did get to downloading the third stage and my connection failed. Wish you both luck!USN '62-'83 ASWBrown shoes :(
Follow the directions :w00t: That's an issue for me too....never did that well :'( :devil: I sometimes think It's my revolt again my military life :(

Maybe over Christmas I will have to try this again. I doubt it. I have a DVD with everything but always get lost. After messing with LFS maybe I understand a little better. ;) I doubt it. The only thing I really understand at this point is don't install anything you can't do in your sleep unless you are fully alert. That is why I am putting Drake on hubby's new computer. It does not matter whether I can focus or not, I can do it on autopilot. :)

... on the Mepis FTP server (Georgia Tech. mirror), will I want to get mepis-2003.10.cd1.iso and mepis-2003.10.cd2.iso?  These are the correct packages, right?
Actually, they have a minor revision out that's supposed to address some install issues: 2003.10.01. That's all you need to do the install - I gather that there are additional packages on the 2nd CD. (That hasn't been revised.)(FWIW, I've found the NLUUG server to be faster and more reliable than the GeorgiaTech one.)

Hey LonggoneYea Gentoo is (imho) one of the hardest linux distro's to install..the have the procedures posted on their web site http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml  if you want to try there first, most print them outanyway nice to see another retired Navy
Gentoo has new install docs so maybe I can complete an install now. I had everything done last time except correctly setting up Grub, so I just put Mandrake on it instead.