Windows 7 madness - a disappearing trick

Tushman

I'll be using my rig, surfing, typing a letter, listening to MP3s, whatever... and just randomly out of the blue, my pinned folders from the taskbar will disappear for no good reason. The first occurrence was about a month ago, but prior to that, I've never experienced it at all. I googled for a solution and this seems to be a very common & elusive problem to nail down. Similar threads that I found on other forums describe the exact same problem.The 1st time this happened was the following, I took the following steps to fix it.Problem: Windows 7 - can no longer "pin" folders to Windows Explorer.Answer: You can restore the jump list by the steps below:

1. Copy & paste the following into Windows Explorer address bar:
  2. %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  3. Delete all items. Now do the same for the following folder:
  4. %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
  5. Reboot system.
  6. Re-pin any folders you wish.

Since then it has happened 2 more times -- two weeks ago and just today. Of course I can reapply the solution, but the real quandary is why it keeps happening. My pinned items in Notepad have also suffered the same fate, but only once. (The same time it happened to my pinned folders the 1st time around). Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen with any other Microsoft application such as Word, Excel, whatever. Just the two items (Windows explorer & Notepad).I need to keep researching & troubleshooting this problem because if I can't find a permanent solution, I will simply have to make shortcuts to my commonly used folders the old fashion way (XP-like) because I'm getting sick & tired of having to perform the steps over & over with no "real" permanent fix. One of the threads that I read on MS's social answers forum suggested doing a 'clean boot' of Windows and trying to troubleshoot from there. It's a worthy suggestion since I do have some services that I have disabled. I have a feeling re-enabling those services will not do me any good however, because I have had those services "tweaked" long before this problem ever cropped up on me.

Edited by Tushman

Hello,By any chance, do you have any system "cleaning" programs running as scheduled tasks?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
These are the only one's I've got scheduled.scheduledtask.pngI do however use a cleaning program (that is similar to "CCleaner") called IE Privacy Keeper. It's 32-bit only but I've been using it since WinXP days and when I upgraded to Windows 7 I wasn't quite sure if it would work or not. Since upgrading my OS to Win7, I haven' had any issues with it. The problem has cropped up just within the last month or so, so I don't think the problem can be attributable to the cleaning program.Actually Goretsky, I'm glad you asked me that question. I think the problem began the same time that I created those two programs in the scheduler as noted in my screenshot. I will remove the defragger and see if it that cures the problem. By the way, did you notice the very 1st one at the top of the list in the screenshot (just above the defragger? Sort of an odd one don't you think? Edited by Tushman

Hello,I believe that pinned items are stored in the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ directory, so perhaps the IE Privacy Keeper program is related, somehow.If you double-click on the unrecognized task, is more information displayed about it?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Windows & madness. Aren't you being somewhat redundant here, Tushman? ;)
Hardy har-har.... Hey just because I still haven't converted over to the dark side doesn't mean I don't like my Windows 7. In fact except for this strangeness happening with my jumplist, I Luuve my Windows 7. :(

Hello,Have the contents of the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ directory changed since you last looked at it?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,Have the contents of the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ directory changed since you last looked at it?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
I'm not sure if it has or not because I did not bother to look there the last time this happened. I thought that items in the jump list were stored under the directory that I mentioned in my original post. I currently have 3 folders under that directory 1) start menu, 2) taskbar, 3) something called "ImplicitAppShortcuts" of which the purpose is not understood. I do have a recent image that i could revert back to, but for something as minor as this where I can recreate the jump list easily, I'm not sure I want to go that route. I will take a look tomorrow to see what exactly is in that directory by mounting the image and inspecting the folder.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a full month and my jump list problem has not resurfaced....yet. Only difference this time around was that I didn't fill up the maximum allowed (I think yoiu can have up to 20 locations). I've got approximately a dozen in there right now and it's been OK since the last incident.Hegehog has an interesting alternative that is quite similar. I may give jumplist-launcher a try.

Edited by Tushman