Your-site.com

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Hi,Anybody here use your-site.com as a web host. I do and they have apparantly without warning fallen off the face of the planet for about 12 hours now.Anybody here use them and know anything or do I need to shop for a new webhost. They are in the North East so this could be weather related.Anybody know a good web host at a good price. I May need to change providers...I'd ask you to email me the details but... :)

myacen at www.myacen.com has been great to me - you may want to try calling your hosting company - there should be contact information available or at least I would hope so

nlinecomputers
Dear Your-Site Customer,One of our upstream providers is currently experiencing a hardware failure in one of their core routers.  This router is responsible for 85% of the traffic coming into our network.  As a result of this hardware failure, you may not be able to connect to email or web services.The company responsible for this router is currently working on replacing it, but has not been able to provide us with a reliable ETA of when this will be finished.  We are hoping that this will take no longer than an hour from the time of this email to replace, but since this hardware does not belong to us, we cannot provide a reliable ETA.  A full report of this issue will be posted on our member's website at http://members.your-site.com once it has been fixed.We thank you for your patience and understanding during this problem.Team Your-Site413-499-6690support@your-site.com
Well at least I finally got this on my ISP email account. Still make me want to look for other hosts.

Whomever your hosting provider is... there should be built-in redundancies such as routers, NICs, and DNS name servers. Any hosting company that does not have these basic backup measures is not really serious about hosting.

nlinecomputers

Well they are back up. They are blaming their "collocation provider" for not providing a promised backup router. It appears that my web provider is just running servers on somebody else’s backbone. They are supposed to have more then one pipe from the outside to the collocation provider and inside to the individual hosts. They had 8 hours of down time on what is supposed to be redundant equipment. I blame my host provider and they are blaming the collocation provider. Ok so I got screwed by someone who got screwed. :wacko: Time to shop for new provider I guess.

Why not?
The Water CoolerThe place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Guest LilBambi

I think it would fit in here as well as anywhere because we don't really have a specific location to ask a question about whether anyone else is using a hosting company.However, Nathan, if you'd like it moved to a specific area, let me know.

nlinecomputers

I'm not certain where it belongs. As Fran said we have no catagory to fit this. I didn't think it should be in the web development catagory as this is not a programing issue but a service one. Networking didn't quite seem correct either. Mods call on this. Put it where ever it is best served.

I just had a friend who's hosting company dissapeared. For good. It looks like they are gone without a trace, and he lost his money :(I'm glad that they are responding to the problem though.(I also think this might be more appropriate to post in the Web Forum -- My 2C)

I just had a friend who's hosting company dissapeared. For good. It looks like they are gone without a trace, and he lost his money ;)
Was it Screaming Internet? There were a lot of people as well as their suppliers who got burned when Ryan Troy & his wife packed up & moved out of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. ;) The only saving grace is that when they tried to set up business in Michigan under another name, there were so many people angry with them, they were very quickly discovered when they registered a new domain name and closed down within days.

While I think starting this thread in the Water Cooler was a good idea, I believe it now belongs in the Programming and Web Development forum.A vital component in Web Development is reliable hosting, and this thread has started to expand more on opinions about hosts; which is a good discussion for Web Dev.Moved. ;)