Network User Monitoring

yellowpike

Hi GangAny recommendations on a good (freeware if possible) network monitoring program ?I would like to be able to observe what machines (or profiles) are currently and actively connectedto my home network. (In other words eavesdrop on 17 year old son from my laptop downstairs- hehe)Thank You !yellowpike

Well... If using a hub, then it's pretty simple as all the data "flows" on the same "pipeline." If using a router/switch, then a computer will be needed between the modem and the router/switch. The router/switch doesn't use a single "pipeline," but "switches" between the set of "pipelines" and only two ports can be used at a time in making a "pipeline." (Hopefully your head is not spinning. :D :o) Thus, port a and port b can't simultaneously pump data to port d - this would be a cause of a data collision.So, what software is available on the cheap and not necessarily needing to be instrustrial strength? There's one by AnalogX for Windows, Ethereal for Windows and Linux/Unix, and Snort for Linux. Those are the ones I know of or just read about. The network software if not used responsibly and properly might have the FBI wanting to have a not so friendly chat with you. Additionally, the network software may not yield any useful human information to you as a consumer either. (I think this is in line with the Knoppix - STD thread.)The 'keyboard logger' hardware or software might be another alternative to consider over using the networking software. A great majority of these programs are considered trojans, so use only from reputable sources. There are a few commercial products available - try TigerDirect for example. The problem them is getting the product in place and being able to retrieve the captured data.Checking the browser cahce and history might be worthwhile. However, it is way too easy to clean out the history and the internet cache. So I would suggest a parent over the shoulder with a system in a fixed open location away from the bedroom as a better solution to prevent harm and trouble. You won't eliminate it all, but a great deal of it will be.Other limitations are the programs in use; MSN, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!, IRC, etc. These might have histories to look at, but only if you know the password.

Guest LilBambi
iProtectYou v5.05 is an internet filtering and network monitoring software that many parents use.It can be as much or as little as you like. Monitor only, filter only on the worst things (or anywhere in between), or agressively filter (warning: if you filter too much it really backfires). Prevent certain domains from loading, prevent ftp, etc., certain programs, etc.My suggestion: If your son is 17, he will not take kindly to any monitoring or even worse filtering at this late stage. If it were me, I would initially just monitor only till you can see whether any filtering is even necessary.This has been used successfully by clients of much younger children.Older teens generally try to disable it or tamper with it, and the program will prevent tampering. It will cut off all internet traffic to and from the computer if tampered with. And it can not be uninstalled without the password which should be guarded carefully.At least if this version is at least as good at that as the previous free version.This program is not free, but it does work.Current promotion with Christmas 15% discount: $29.70 (save $5.20). 14-day free trial.You might want to download the free PDF - EBook - Parent's Guidelines and Safety tips for protecting children online to see if this is what you are looking for. Site also has a lot of information.I have not used this program since they started charging for it. But the previous free version was pretty impressive, if you need that sort of thing.

Thank you to all !Sorry about the lack of details. I am running a D-Link router with it's filters activated. These are doing a good job on the content.I do inspect his cache/history and he really is not trying to visit anything nasty except for the occasional "girly pictures" sites :devil: (if you pardon the expression). What I would like to do is see when he is on-line (real time) using his XP Home profile.I'm running XP Pro on my (wireless) and thought Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Shared Folders >Sessionsmight do the the trick, but no go.I have also tried some other monitoring programs (Network Probe 1.0.1) and frankly I'm not quite at that level yet.If you have any other thoughts I would appreciate it.I can't thank you enough for your input thus far.yellowpike

Not to open Pandora's box here, but do you have some reason why you think it necessary to check up on your son? Sometimes "Don't tell, don't ask" makes sense. Just my 2 cents...

Not to open Pandora's box here, but do you have some reason why you think it necessary to check up on your son?  Sometimes "Don't tell, don't ask" makes sense.  Just my 2 cents...
Fair question ibe98765.Actually no. He knows enough not to use the machine for "stupid" things.On the other hand, sometimes his priorities are questionable and on a school night he may stay up and online later than he should.I could block his access with the router config (based on time), but my thought was to be able to "see him" online and let him know I'm "watching" with a yell up the stairs (you know "FatherNet").Yes, I know it sounds a bit Orwellian but it would serve as good "mind blower".Also I am just plain curious as to how this could be accomplished.I understand the spirit of "Don't ask, don't tell" but as a father I have to ask, and he does tell. I hope you understand. Thank you for your 2 cents. It is appreciated.yellowpike

• 2 weeks later...

This interesting story ties into this thread subject:

Lost? Hiding? Your Cellphone Is Keeping TabsBy AMY HARMONNY TimesPublished: December 21, 2003On the train returning to Armonk, N.Y., from a recent shopping trip in Manhattan with her friends, Britney Lutz, 15, had the odd sensation that her father was watching her.He very well could have been. Ms. Lutz's father, Kerry, recently equipped his daughters with cellular phones that let him see where they are on a computer map at any given moment. Earlier that day, he had tracked Britney as she arrived in Grand Central Terminal. Later, calling up the map on his own cellphone screen, he noticed she was in SoHo.Mr. Lutz did not happen to be checking when Britney developed pangs of guilt for taking a train home later than she was supposed to, but the system worked just as he had hoped: she volunteered the information that evening."Before, they might not have told me the truth, but now I know they're going to," said Mr. Lutz, 46, a lawyer who has been particularly protective of Britney and her sister, Chelsea, 17, since his wife died several years ago. "They know I care. And they know I'm watching."Driven by worries about safety, the need for accountability, and perhaps a certain "I Spy" impulse, families and employers are adopting surveillance technology once used mostly to track soldiers and prisoners. New electronic services with names like uLocate and Wherify Wireless make a very personal piece of information for cellphone users — physical location — harder to mask.Full article

Greetings all .. i had asked a similar question some time ago in another forum i was on to do the same things that YellowPike was asking to be able to do ( not necessarily "watch" from a remote location but to have logs of activity) after some searching i came up with this program SpyAnytime PC SpyTo me its does what im looking for it to do .. and it runs INVISIBLY like most of that type of software should ..the ONLY thing im having a problem understanding is if i can Install it ONLY on the particualr "identity"( on a win xp home system) that i want logged ..just adding my 2 cents into the foray ;)

Guest LilBambi

LOL! ;) Ah, ha! So we don't like it being used on us ... only those we wish to monitor, huh? :P Just kidding ... sometimes we really do need to keep tabs on our children since we are ultimately responsible for their actions.Just to run a point into the ground LOL! I really think this is something that needs to be done carefully, and preferably starting when a child is young or from the beginning of their use of computes and the Internet, and being up front about it right from the beginning if possible.Not sure if it can be LIMITED to one user only. Good question though.I know that iProtect shows up on all users if installed as an administrator. And of course limited users are generally, ah, limited. :P

Fran-

LOL!  :P  Ah, ha! So we don't like it being used on us ... only those we wish to monitor, huh?  :w00t:Just kidding ... sometimes we really do need to keep tabs on our children since we are ultimately responsible for their actions.
to be honest i dont mind it if its used in any way shape or form BUT it has to be used RESPONSIBLY and top be honest KIDS more so than adults no matter the experince they have on the net SHOUDL be monitored. ;)
Just to run a point into the ground LOL! I really think this is something that needs to be done carefully, and preferably starting when a child is young or from the beginning of their use of computes and the Internet, and being up front about it right from the beginning if possible.
i agree here as well BUT if the Kid is MORE net savay than the adult(s) the adults ULTIMATELY have to have something in thier corner which is where these types of software comes into play IMMENSELY .. to an extent mind you and dependant on the OS in reagrds as to WHEN it should start .. YES it SHOULD start IMMEDIATELY when the kid is able and knows how to access the net and LET THEM KNOW that you WILL be watching in one way or another ... SOMETIMES just letting them THINK that you are watching can do it other times it takes software and PROOF to show the kids that you INDEED are watching ...
Not sure if it can be LIMITED to one user only. Good question though.
heres another to add .. MAY WORK .. what IF you set up the 'identity' ORIGINALLY as an Admin then intall the software that you want ( iin this case monitorinng but could be for any programs) on THAT Idenity ONLY .. then RESET the "idenity" as "restricted" so that way it woudl be ONLY operational on THAT 'identity" ....see where im goin here ?? could THAT possibly work ??

Guest LilBambi

>We as parents certainly need to have whatever tools are necessary to provide adult leadership and protection to our children as they grow up. There certainly are many things that I would not have wanted our children to see, or have access to, on the Internet as they were growing up, heck I don't even want to see alot of it as an adult! B) EDIT: After reviewing the site:In their FAQ:

My computer has several users, but why does SpyAnytime only monitor myself?You must assure that other users have the privilege to create folders and write files into the folder where you set SpyAnytime to store logs. For example, if you specified the log folder as "C:\windows\logs" in SpyAnytime's Settings panel, you must assure that all other accounts on your computer have privilege enough to create folders and files into this folder, otherwise when these users login, SpyAnytime can NOT store logs into the hard drive. If you are administrator of the computer, you could create a test account to verify it.
According to the site:
SpyAnytime Keylogger 2.20 Version 2.20 fixed the multiuser monitoring bug. Now you can monitor all users on the same computer by default!
So it looks like this software is now user configurable.I removed the top part of this one with speculation as to whether it would work or not. Figured I'd just go take a look for myself. :thumbsup: Edited by LilBambi

Hello All,Just read through the re's since my last post and I really appreciate everybody's input.LoneWolf:I'll check out the link you provided, Thank You.On the big picture....No, I do not want to "spy" on my son, but I do have the right, as well as the obligation, to regulate what is "brought in" to my home (internet or otherwise).We all know how much garage is out there. I do block a number of sites (via router filters) based on keywords and domain names and I have installed, as I'm sure most of you have anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware programs. These were installed NOT because of my son's browsing habits, just basic common sense. Are they restrictive (?)... Yes. Are they important (?) Yes again.I think all of us can agree that we need to be "involved" with our children's lives. As to what degree, well I believe that monitoring their internet use is well within the rights of a father (who pays the cable bill and buys the computers). Quite honestly and perhaps more importantly, I see it as a responsibility.Remember, they may be good kids :thumbsup: , BUT, they are still kids!Again, Thanks To All and Happy Holidays!yellowpike

nlinecomputers

Question: Does any tools(AV, Spybot, Etc) identify that this kind of keylogger is on the system? I tested several commerical keyloggers and many pass unnoticed by the various tools out there.

Question: Does any tools(AV, Spybot, Etc) identify that this kind of keylogger is on the system? I tested several commerical keyloggers and many pass unnoticed by the various tools out there.
I had heard rumors that Norton Anti-Virus 2004 now detects commercial keyloggers etc, but i don't know for sure, nor can i test because i don't have NAV 2004.

Guest LilBambi
Search to find out what threats are covered by SpyBot S&DIf you plug keylogger into the search engine above, you get a list of 9 Keyloggers that are taken care of by SpyBot S&D including:RNS KeyloggerKloggerHellz Little Spy 1.2XtraLog WinKeyInvisible Keylogger StealthChotaPhantom2KeyLog-TweakPanStealth Keylogger StealthPatrick noted on the front page of SpyBot S&D, there were a couple others listed as in the last update: NetSpy and Winvestigator.The site has very recently been updated to a new overall look, so the list may or may not be complete to date.BTW: CNET named Spybot-S&D has been named best antispyware software of 2003 in their Top 100 Products of 2003

RichNRockville
Hi GangAny recommendations on a good (freeware if possible) network monitoring program ?I would like to be able to observe what machines (or profiles) are currently and actively connectedto my home network. (In other words eavesdrop on 17 year old son from my laptop downstairs- hehe)Thank You !yellowpike
I had a friend who solved the problem of determining which sites and such that his two sons were visiting.He turned a room into a computer room. It had 3 computers, a small network server, printer and all the goodies in the room. There was a computer desk for each computer for studying and such.It worked great, the kids liked being able to see on-another and such.He and his spouse liked it as they actually got to talk to the boys once in a while. (almost face to face) outside of meal times.. :)

He turned a room into a computer room. It had 3 computers, a small network server, printer and all the goodies in the room. There was a computer desk for each computer for studying and such.
That's a nice idea, if you have room.That's what we did at our house. We converted one of the rooms into an office/studio. This is pretty much where all our work gets done, whether it's just paper work, or stuff on the computer. But, then again, we only have one computer, so it's not so much of an issue for us. :thumbsup:

Question:  Does any tools(AV, Spybot, Etc) identify that this kind of keylogger is on the system?  I tested several  commerical keyloggers and many pass unnoticed by the various tools out there.
Nathan-the program that i have intsalled (Pc Spy ) DOES NOT show up as spyware or Malware according to Either Sbybot or Adaware .. NOR does it show up in AVG antivirus .. i made sure tou run those programs after the initial install and also on susequent testssince the software (PC Spy) has been installed ..

LoneWolf:I'll check out the link you provided, Thank You.
Your Quite Welcome YellowPike
On the big picture....No, I do not want to "spy" on my son, but I do have the right, as well as the obligation, to regulate what is "brought in" to my home (internet or otherwise).
YES YOU DO have that right
These were installed NOT because of my son's browsing habits, just basic common sense. Are they restrictive (?)...  Yes. Are they important (?) Yes again.
Yes they CAN be restricetive but a SOMTEIMES unfortunate necessary evil of having the software ...i say SOMETIMES becasue most of that kind of software .. CAN be configured to the users prefernces
I think all of us can agree that we need to be "involved" with our children's lives. As to what degree, well I believe that monitoring their internet use is well within the rights of a father (who pays the cable bill and buys the computers). Quite honestly and perhaps more importantly, I see it as a responsibility.Remember, they may be good kids :thumbsup: , BUT, they are still kids!
yes i agreee as well with kids it HAS to be monitored thats why when we DO install ANY TYPE of software here on our puters we let the kid know that it IS installed and WHY it is installed .. i guess in a way .. ( refering to your satement about not wanting to SPY on your son) they are aware they are being watching and things are being checked up in . so in a way .. i guess for me if they are AWARE that it is being done then i guess its not REALLY 'spying' ..:teehee:
Again, Thanks To All and Happy Holidays!yellowpike
Happy Holidays to you as well

nlinecomputers
Question:  Does any tools(AV, Spybot, Etc) identify that this kind of keylogger is on the system?  I tested several  commerical keyloggers and many pass unnoticed by the various tools out there.
Nathan-the program that i have intsalled (Pc Spy ) DOES NOT show up as spyware or Malware according to Either Sbybot or Adaware .. NOR does it show up in AVG antivirus .. i made sure tou run those programs after the initial install and also on susequent testssince the software (PC Spy) has been installed ..
That implies that you like the fact that Spybot ignores these programs. Personaly I think Keyloggers are a threat, (though I understand your needs) and security software is not doing enough to find them.