ericsshop01

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, my buddy who promised to bring me some old 'puter parts and stuff made good on that promise today. He dropped off some goodies for me. One item was a completely disassembled Compaq desktop system. He had taken it apart and planned to use it for something, but never go around to it. He said that it worked before he disassembled it. Uh-huh. ;) I reassembled it and added a hard drive and some of my own RAM. It works! YAY! I've christened it ericsshop01. I installed Slackware on it. It's now my official shop system. I just have to figure out how to get my wireless dongle to work on it out there. Weeeee...It's a Pentium IV 2.9Gig with 1Gig RAM and an old Maxtor 80Gig hard drive (from my old ericsbane02 system; the one I danced the Irish jig on back in '06 ;) ). It's working like a champ with Slackware on it. :)It was time constructively spent. :yes:

How very cool! The dongle shouldn't be a big issue - which (of course) means that it'll blow up into something horrifying before you figure it out... sigh :D

V.T. Eric Layton

The more I learn about Linux and computers in general, the less those horrifying events occur. Makes one sort of miss 'em after a while. Just kidding. Really. Forget I said that. Read_me_by_CookiemagiK.gif

Frank Golden
The more I learn about Linux and computers in general, the less those horrifying events occur. Makes one sort of miss 'em after a while. Just kidding. Really. Forget I said that. Read_me_by_CookiemagiK.gif
Too late. The cat's out of the bag.LOLReally though I know what you mean Eric.It's been awhile since I had a real challenge.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey! I even solved my wireless situation on ericsshop01... sort of. Well, it connects, anyway. :(

Well, my buddy who promised to bring me some old 'puter parts and stuff made good on that promise today.
You have good friends Eric... congrats on the 2 "new-used" computers. Now that's what I call stretching your dollars!

I know the feeling. I've got huge piles of this stuff at home. Whether it's "trash" or "treasure" depends on who's speaking of it! :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm not much of a hoarder, so my house/shop is pretty empty compared to most hoarders. I clean out every 6 months or so. :thumbsup:

I've been living at the same place since 1984 and even before that I had been hauling crates of useless carp around with me. These are the chains I forged in life...