I tried, I really tried but I just could not take it any more

crp

Using Centos5.5 with GNOME as the desktop manager for about 10 months. I didn't like it to begin with , kept on fighting with it and today finally had it.The breaking point was the lack of 'superuser file browser'. :angry: not there :angry: can not get it there :angry: can not install gksuI logged off , looked around on the signup page and found that there is a simple way to change the desktop manager. :lol: :D :rolleyes: , back in the land of KDE Hello my friend :teehee: . Ahh, and just where I expected you - hello 'superuser file browser' :P Now then :devil: , how can i deep six the :hysterical: GNOME?

V.T. Eric Layton

What would have been wrong with:

crp@CentOS-Gnome:~$ supassword *********root@CentOS-Gnome:/home/crp# nautilus

That would have started the nautilus app as root. That's how I used to do it in Gnome. That's how I do it in Xfce (thunar, though), currently. I don't sudo, gksu, etc. Just plain ol' su. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

PCManFM is pretty cool. I used it when I ran LXDE in Sidux a couple years ago; very similar to thunar, by the way. :hysterical:

Frank Golden

In Ubuntu gnome and PCLinuxOS gnome I usually create either a panel or desktop launcher using the command

gsku nautilus /

This opens the file browser at root with root privileges.I name it SuperNaut.In PCLinuxOS I have to install gksu from the repos.I do the same with Mandy gnome and PCLos KDE.In KDE of course I use konqueror in place of nautilus.I also create a launcher to open fstab in gedit or kwrite with read\right permissions.the command for this is

gksu gedit or kwrite /etc/fstab

Note the gksu, appropriate and recommended for GUI apps like this.

Edited by Frank Golden

I'm not familiar with CentOS, but I see that it's based on Fedora, right? So I'm assuming that's why gksu isn't available in CentOS, correct me if I'm wrong.Anyway, I've seen it mentioned that Fedora folks can use su - (su space dash) instead of su to open something like Nautilus in root mode. Maybe that would work for you in CentOS?(@Eric, I always thought there was something "wrong" with using su instead of gksu to open Nautilus -- not sure why it would be wrong, but it sure doesn't work here in Debian Squeeze's GNOME -- wrecks the desktop.)Another thing mentioned for Fedora users is beesu -- don't know if that's available for CentOS.I'm using Fedora 14 (KDE), myself, though...@Frank Golden - Dang, why am I always going to the terminal in Squeeze to type gksu nautilus? I guess it's just habit, but using a launcher as you mentioned would make things just as easy. Guess I'll create one!

Now then :rolleyes: , how can i deep six the :hysterical: GNOME?
You should be able to remove it with your package manager. Be careful though, it may take some needed packages along with it.
but it sure doesn't work here in Debian Squeeze's GNOME
Try sux.

See when using PCManFM I just hit the "open current folder as root" button, enter my password and go :rolleyes:
WHAT? Where the heck is THAT?Oh, there it is... right under Tools! :hysterical: Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff! I've been using sudo pcmanfmThe more I play with Bodhi, the more I'm enjoying it. Thanks!

sux - yeah, that's fine, but it does seem a bit easier to just use gksu. In my case, anyway, I just created a launcher using gksu nautilus.

V.T. Eric Layton

CentOS isn't based on Fedora. CentOS is the free version of Redhat. It's as close to Redhat that you can get without spending the money. About the only difference between it and Redhat is the logo and the support system. You must pay for support for Redhat. CentOS community support is free. It's a great distribution. I usually have an installation of it on my system. I haven't reinstalled it since my drive crashed a while back, but I intend to.

I stand corrected, then. I thought it was based on Fedora because that's what it says at the top of DistroWatch's CentOS page.So, is gksu not available through the CentOS repos (as is the case with Fedora)?

V.T. Eric Layton

They may have used some aspects of Fedora (a Redhat fork), but it's nearly pure Redhat. It's much more Redhat than Fedora is, anyway. ;)From Distrowatch also:

CentOS is 100% compatible rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in full compliance with Red Hat's redistribution requirements.
Now that we've been talking about this, I may reboot and reinstall it. I already have the .iso. :yes:

My understanding, though, is that Fedora is where a lot of stuff gets tested out that eventually makes its way into RHEL.I'm no expert about all of this, but I see that at DistroWatch's page on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, it says, "Based on: Fedora."And at fedoraproject.org, they say:

Red Hat invests in Fedora to encourage collaboration and incubate innovative new free software technologies.
And:
In fact, Fedora is already the foundation for derivatives such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux...
http://fedoraproject.org/en/about-fedoraInteresting relationship. I know that Red Hat came long before Fedora, so how is it that RHEL is called a derivative of Fedora? Edited by saturnian

Hm, well after reading a little bit more, I think I understand the relationship a little better:

The Fedora Project was created in late 2003, when Red Hat Linux was discontinued ... Red Hat Enterprise Linux branches its releases from versions of Fedora.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)And:
The new plan is to draw most of the codebase from Fedora when creating new Red Hat Enterprise Linux distributions. Fedora replaces the original Red Hat Linux download and retail version.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_linuxKinda seems that CentOS must be, in fact, based on Fedora, ultimately. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding things.

In Ubuntu gnome and PCLinuxOS gnome I usually create either a panel or desktop launcher using the commandCODEgksu nautilus /
This works great, but how do you create a "launcher" so you don't have to type it into terminal each time?Thanks,Bill

Frank Golden
This works great, but how do you create a "launcher" so you don't have to type it into terminal each time?Thanks,Bill
Hi Bill, in gnome right click a blank are of the desktop and select "Create Launcher"In the dialog box make sure application is selected from the dropdown (it should be selected already) and name the launcherin the name field and type your command in the command field.In the comment field you can enter a brief comment\description (optional) that will be displayed when you mouse over the launcher icon.The default icon can be changed by clicking the icon in the dialogue box and choosing from the list or a an icon of you own.I keep a large folder full of icons in my /home directory for just such uses.Click OK and that's it.To create a panel launcher right click an empty area of the panel and choose "add to panel" and select "Custom Application Launcher" and click the add button.This will open the same dialogue box as the desktop launcher option.The gksu in the command of course assumes that sudo and gksu are installed.

This works great, but how do you create a "launcher" so you don't have to type it into terminal each time?
Right-click on the GNOME panel, select "Add to Panel...", select "Custom Application Launcher." Name it, put the code in, and choose an icon for it if you want to.Or you can add a menu entry for it. In Squeeze, it was: Preferences > Main Menu > New Item.Edit: Oops, beat me to it, Frank. Edited by saturnian

Redhat is what I call a "main branch" Linux. It was around nearly 10 years before Fedora.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ro_Timeline.png
Understood. But it looks like now RHEL is sorta built from Fedora (maybe that's too simplistic a way of looking at it), which is sponsored by Red Hat, Inc. The old Red Hat Linux no longer exists.Like I said, interesting relationship, I like how it's set up.

This works great, but how do you create a "launcher" so you don't have to type it into terminal each time?
Some linguistic issues exist here, but I hope this helps:kuvakaappauskynnistimen.png :yes:

Frank Golden

In KDE the process is a little different.Again right click the desktop and choose "create new" > link to application.In the resulting dialog box general tab name the launcher.Under the application tab type your command and click OK.Right click the new launcher and choose properties and change the icon if desired by clickingon it and selecting your icon.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... Redhat's family tree is beginning to look more like someone's from Mississippi or Alabama. HA! Just kidding. Love y'all hillbilly folks! :)

Thanks people! Worked great! The basic command beats my old strategy of trying to access stuff thru the terminal with "sudo" all hollow. Surely glad I looked at the forum today :) BillEdit: I have made launchers in the past with the icon business, etc., but always for software apps (e.g., Komodo Edit) that I had downloaded which were not available in the repositories; I never realized you could just put a "terminal command" in the launcher box (rather than the path to an app) and have it work . . .

Edited by BillD

securitybreach
Hmm... Redhat's family tree is beginning to look more like someone's from Mississippi or Alabama. HA! Just kidding. Love y'all hillbilly folks! :)
Hey now!!! I am from Alabama, but then again my hometown has a million plus residents (Birmingham). Not too hick-a-billy there. :)

Yes, I was so impressed with his hammer icon when I saw it that I was tempted to download it and use it myself except that I would have to carefully crop out the hammer as an icon from the rest of the screenshot :) Bill

Edited by BillD

Well, that is an interesting link, but all of the icons download in the largest 128 x 128 size; not in the indicated ones for some reason. However, I had already cropped it out of Urmas's post and saved it as 54 x 54 where it looks quite distinctive on my desktop; it is the same size as my Filezilla icon that came down with Filezilla, so it looks right in place . . and very distinctive!But I thank you for the link; I was wondering where it came from.BillEdit: I just tried scaling it down in GIMP and that works very well; no odd looking artifacts.

Edited by BillD

Frank Golden
Well, that is an interesting link, but all of the icons download in the largest 128 x 128 size; not in the indicated ones for some reason. However, I had already cropped it out of Urmas's post and saved it as 54 x 54 where it looks quite distinctive on my desktop; it is the same size as my Filezilla icon that came down with Filezilla, so it looks right in place . . and very distinctive!But I thank you for the link; I was wondering where it came from.BillEdit: I just tried scaling it down in GIMP and that works very well; no odd looking artifacts.
Bill all you have to do to D\L the size you want from sites like this is click on the size you want and save it.I've got thousands of icons for all occasions from sites like this.You do have to be careful as some of these sites ca be malware vectors.Having the WOT addon installed and running can prevent issues such as this.I found this by googling thunar icons.If you used the D\L link on the right then you would get the 128 px image but as you found out it is infinitely scalableas most .png icons are.BTW, the Thunar icons are part of an icon pack shown below then thunar icons there are 1296 icons in the pack and the individual icons can be downloaded by clicking them and selected then size you want. Edited by Frank Golden

Bill all you have to do to D\L the size you want from sites like this is click on the size you want and save it.
Yes, I know, and when I tried various sizes shown on the page, they all came down as the large size! Never seen anything like that happen before :thumbsup: Bill