Temmu

and your password, please?

i get pcs or laptops to un-slow from "friends" from time to time.today, i got one.... and what's the password for this one, please?o, i'll have to call you back.they did. and i quote:"there is none, they just click on internet explorer." :wacko: i'm so sorry if i find that beyond amusing. :Dany passwrod stories from your sordid past?

Whenever I set up a new system for someone, I set the initial password to "4me2remember". You'd be surprised how many people lose the paper that I give them with that password and then can't remember it. :wacko:

I worked as an AD admin at our local newspaper for many years. The system forced you to change your password every 90 days, but (surprise!) a lot of folks wanted to keep their old password. As an admin, I could set it to anything at all and ignore the group policy, so a lot of people would simply call me and ask me to change the password back to what it currently was, thereby giving them another 90 days. They would have to tell me their password though. I never commented on their choices, but there were certainly some doozies. A surprising number of people's passwords were &%$([myboss] and another huge category involved various procreative practices. My personal favorite fell into neither category though. This person wanted her password to be the following 70-character missive:beautifulishistailasthesuncomingoverthemountaininthemistsofthemorningI'm not quite sure why someone would enjoy typing that in every day, but I suppose it worked for her.

hard to believe someone would inflict a pw on themselves as long as that! lol

There's actually a 256 character limit on passwords - in XP anyhow. She actually typed it it every time too!

One of the people I help has to rotate her passwords, I suspect every 3 months. She has them taped to the monitor. Some people just do not get the idea behind a password. I'm too tired fixing the computer to give her a lesson on the value of a strong password and unknown to most everyone. At least she has very good security and does keep the computer updated.

Edited by zlim

Most of the real danger a weak password presents is from the outside. Most of the people with their password attached to their monitor (or under their keyboard, etc.) is that they're actually fairly strong passwords. That's why they're posted there; so that the user can remember them. Now if you have to protect your machine from coworkers, that's another matter altogether.Here's a trick I use. I have a word which I use as a password everywhere. But at the start of that word, I type a number, using the numbers above the keyboard. Then I type a letter. And then I type my word. When it comes time to change the password, I increment the number and the letter. Now here's the real trick - I hold down the Shift key for the first three characters - so the number is % instead of 5, for instance. I've noticed that most people can't get it even when I'm standing there telling them what it is. That's secure enough for me - easy to remember too.

Especially when I have to change my password at work, I simply abandoned using passwords. I now use passphrases......

One of the people I help has to rotate her passwords, I suspect every 3 months. She has them taped to the monitor. Some people just do not get the idea behind a password. I'm too tired fixing the computer to give her a lesson on the value of a strong password and unknown to most everyone. At least she has very good security and does keep the computer updated.
Yeah, all bets are off if someone has physical access to your computer.Even a BIOS password is not inviolable if a person has physical access, especially if the password is conveniently posted on the monitor.