How do I print to a networked printer?

GolfProRM

Thought I'd pose this question while I'm here at work, so you all can post before I get home. :)Running SuSE 9.0 (as if you didn't know :unsure: )My girlfriend has a printer hooked up to her machine (a Canon i550 I think)... It's a WinXP machine. She's got the printer shared, and I print to it all the time from my WinXP boot.The question is: how do I set this up to print from Linux? I know nothing about linux printing (haven't had the time to read up on it yet), so hopefully someone can help me. :)The printer is on a standard Windows share, and it's in my network.

Hi Ryan,You will have to change your setup slightly . . . . connect the printer to Linux . . . and then share the printer with Windows. I will not work the other way around ( because Windows can´t see Linux ). :teehee::unsure: Bruno

Hi FranI just remember Rons having lots of troubles getting his networked printer to work, he was having headaches for weeks. . . untill he shared it from Linux.:unsure: Bruno

It might be easier to do it with it hooked up to Linux, but Linux can see Windows-shared printers. Try using YaST to setup the printer from there, Ryan. Choose "Other" and then click "Configure" and then select "Print via SMB Network Server". Then you have to enter the Workgroup information, hostname of the Windows server (though you can click 'Lookup' to search the network), name of the printer and username and password (it needs to be windows login name and password on that machine). Click the 'Test' button to try it right away. In theory, it should be easy, in practice... you'll find out soon :unsure:

Thanks Jason... I'll give that a shot when I get home... :)Bruno: I'd consider hooking it up on my machine, but have a couple problems: First, she won't let me touch it... B) She says "It works fine for me, so you're not allowed to break it"Second: I don't have any free USB ports on my machine (other than a front port that doesn't always work right)...

No dice...I tried to set it up using YaST, but it never could even find the other computer. I entered all the info in manually, but could never get it to spit anything out of the printer...Just a question, as she's got other drives shared, how do I access them? I assume I can somehow? I just want to make sure that our computers can see each other...

In ALL of the documentation I read during my trials trying to get Linux to print to a XP machine, nothing covered Windows XP. Most documentation stopped at 98 or NT systems. Yet I could mount drives on the XP system, share files, move files,[used LinNeighborhood] and the network would see the printer [HP 1100 LaserJet] on the Linux machine. But would not print. :unsure: I moved the printer to the Linux box and all was well. Windows XP prints just fine. :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Ryan,Here is a page that has many of the concepts about sharing printers. The person asking is on Mandrake, but the concepts are the same.http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...003/10/1/100349Pay close attention to oski's answers. There are subtle things that are very important.---If that is all to much and the printer can't be moved to the Linux computer :unsure: -- there is always a print server, where you hook the printer's parallel/USB port to the print server then hook the network cable between the print server and your hub or router where the printer would be a true network printer to both computers.

Fran... Thanks for the link... Somehow I don't think that my problem is specifically a printer problem... Just tested it, and for some reason, I can't even ping the WinXP machine (no software firewall running) from Linux. I can ping the Linux machine from her WinXP machine though. I think if I get this problem figured out, I'll be able to print.

Guest LilBambi

What firewall on XP?Have you added the IP for your Linux box to allow traffic from your Linux box?Windows makes groups in all caps ... are you both in the same group (even down to case sensitive)Do you have accounts on both machines that match: username and passwords and are you logged in on the XP machine as that user?Are the IPs of both machines in each other's host file?Are you trying to ping with the IP address or computer name?Just a few things to check on LOL!

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

In line with the print server info once you get pinging etc.Here's a Linksys USB Print Server w/4-port 10/100 switch ... maybe a nice joint Christmas gift.The reason I am suggesting this is low impact on users, ability to share internet connect easier, as well as the printer.When someone prints across the network to another PC, there is an impact to the user. I have seen one or the other computer crash and both computers have had to be rebooted. Very annoying to the other user.

Currently, no software firewall on the XP box (turned off for testing)... both boxes set to the same workgroupHave accounts setup properly... logged in correctly to both.host file?tried pinging with both IP and computer name...

Hi Fran,Well you peaked my interest after I read your post concerning printing from Linux to XP. I struggled with and was unsuccessful when I tried this last June. This was using Mandrake 9.1 and a 10mbps network hub. In October I redid the network when I switched to DSL. I installed all new cabling, DLink NIC's [100mbps] in all systems, but more important, A DLink router. I'm sure you know that routers are smart devices [compared to hubs] using MAC addressing to control traffic on the LAN.I had also installed Lindows 4.0 on my test system last week so thought I would try printing once again from Linux to XP. I went to the Lindows site and they had updated drivers for HP Laserjet printers [using CUPS] which I installed.I got up bright and early and switched the printer back to a XP [no NetBEUI] system. Setup the printer using CUPS and viola - printed perfect ! :) My conclusions:The router has had a major impact on how the network operates.Lindows provided the latest HP Laserjet drivers & software using CUPS to install the printer.THANKS FRAN ! I'm sending a great big hug your way. B)

Guest LilBambi

Again after you get the Linux box seeing the XP box, here are a couple links that might help with SMB and LinNeighborhood:Samba's Encrypted Password Support (note: on a totally local network -- if no internet on the closed loop network -- plaintext passwords are much easier to get working).LinNeighborhood Readme on author site (also has a good screenshot page to show how it would look with file shares and printer shares).

Guest LilBambi
Hi Fran,Well you peaked my interest after I read your post concerning printing from Linux to XP. I struggled with and was unsuccessful when I tried this last June. This was using Mandrake 9.1 and a 10mbps network hub. In October I redid the network when I switched to DSL. I installed all new cabling, DLink NIC's [100mbps] in all systems, but more important, A DLink router. I'm sure you know that routers are smart devices [compared to hubs] using MAC addressing to control traffic on the LAN.I had also installed Lindows 4.0 on my test system last week so thought I would try printing once again from Linux to XP. I went to the Lindows site and they had updated drivers for HP Laserjet printers [using CUPS] which I installed.I got up bright and early and switched the printer back to a XP [no NetBEUI] system. Setup the printer using CUPS and viola - printed perfect !  :) My conclusions:The router has had a major impact on how the network operates.Lindows provided the latest HP Laserjet drivers & software using CUPS to install the printer.THANKS FRAN ! I'm sending a great big hug your way.  B)
Awesome! That is great Rons! :thumbsup:You are very welcome .. it is always my pleasure to help any where I can.

golfpro:/home/ryan # ifconfig -aeth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:22:BB:B0:7C          inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0          inet6 addr: fe80::250:22ff:febb:b07c/64 Scope:Link          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1          RX packets:70322 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:54020 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0          RX bytes:53183271 (50.7 Mb)  TX bytes:5332922 (5.0 Mb)lo        Link encap:Local Loopback          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1          RX packets:910 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:910 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0          RX bytes:54374 (53.0 Kb)  TX bytes:54374 (53.0 Kb)sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0          collisions:0          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

golfpro:/home/ryan # route -enKernel IP routing tableDestination         Gateway             Genmask          Flags              MSS Window              irtt              Iface192.168.1.0       0.0.0.0             255.255.255.0       U                        0 0                      0              eth00.0.0.0         192.168.1.254              0.0.0.0          UG                       0 0                      0              eth0

You know... it helps to allow incoming echo on the XP box to be able to ping it :)I forgot about XP's builtin firewall... will see if disabling that for awhile allows me to do stuff :)

Okay... so now I can browse the XP machine using LinNeighborhood... I tried the print thing again... and if I enter in the XP box's IP as the host, it will find the print queue, and says the print server is available... I finish out the process, but can't test print...

Guest LilBambi

OK, great progress. :) Now you need to check the /etc/host file on the Linux box to make sure that the IP address then tab once and put the name of the computer (case sensitive) -- you can also tab once more and put a alias name for the computer as well.On the XP box (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ if I remember correctly), should look something like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost192.168.0.1	golfpro	ryan192.168.0.2	ladyXP	ladyname

(where ladyXP is the actual name of your lady's computer and ladyname is an short alias for ease of use)The Linux one will look very similar.Reboot both computers then, wait for at least 30 seconds before trying. WinXP is sluggish.Also, make sure there is at least one share on each computer (not the default shares on XP, make a directory on c:\ and share it) and that the printer is shared on the XP box and note exact name (make it short if possible -- one word preferably).

Edited by LilBambi