ericsbane04 Is In the Works

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I definitely CANNOT afford this, but I did it anyway. I earned a couple C-notes a week or so back when my brother and I remodeled my niece's bathroom. I've had the cash stashed away for a rainy day. I know it's not raining. However, I really would like to have my video issue resolved. I have a really nice vid card (EVGA GeForce GTS-450) that I can't even use with my current system because of issues with the PCIe 16 socket/circuitry. You can read more about that HERE and HERE.Well, here's what I did...I was just for fun snooping around on CompUSA's website (mistake #1), when I ran across THIS mobo on sale (limited number in stock). This model mobo is a few years old. When it first came out, it was a tad over $200.00 USD. CompUSA had it on sale for $99. This is a full size ATX mobo, very similar to my current GigaByte board.I needed a mobo with all the ATX features that my GigaByte board has. Specifically, I needed two EIDE channels, 4 DIMM sockets, at least 2 SATA channels, a floppy controller, and a parport for my old printer. This new ASUS board had all that and more. It's an SLI board, so if I ever want to run SLI, I can. It has a somewhat better Nvidia chipset than my GigaByte board. So, this is going to be a bit of an improvement for me.A few minutes after clicking that BUY button at CompUSA, I wondered if I had an AMD cpu out in the shop that I could pop in to the old GigaByte board to make a really nice shop system. Well, I went out there and snooped around. While I do have some nice AMD processors out there, I don't have any socket AM2 processors. Oh well. Then I had another thought (mistake #2)...In for a penny, etc...I went to a fav eBay seller whom I've dealt with a few times before. He always has some good used stuff for sale cheap. I searched through his eBay store and found an AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ that came out of his own personal system (so he claims) and is guaranteed to work or money back. He wanted $35 for it. Not bad... you can still get them new for about $75. This guy has 100% feedback at eBay, and I have bought other items from him, as I said, so I'm pretty confident the processor is probably fine.Being that this X2 (dual core) is an improvement over my current Athlon64 3800+ single core, I decided to buy it with the intention of installing it in the new board above. Since I name my machines based on the microprocessor being the heart of the machine, a change in cpu means a change in name. Hence, ericsbane03 will be renamed ericsshop01 (the new workshop system) with the old GigaByte board and the single core Athlon64 3800+. The new mobo with the Athlon64 X2 4000+ will become ericsbane04 (inside main system).I'll put ericsbane04 into the Cooler Master Nvidia tower that I just transferred ericsbane03 into the other day, along with the current drives and other hardware. I'll put ericsshop01 into my old ericsbane02 beige tower that's out in the shop right now. Clear as mud, huh? Is anyone really going to read all this carp I'm typing? Probably not. It'll be archived here for my later perusing, though. :)So, for a total of $146.00 (that I CANNOT afford), I'll get two systems out of this deal; and best of all, I'll get to have my vid card working again on my main system. I'll be able to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again! YAY! Besides, 14K fps is so much nicer than 2900 fps. OK, so I might not be able to eat this next couple weeks, but what the ****... I need to lost that last 10 lbs, anyway. ;)Later...~Eric*Cross published at Nocturnal Slacker v1.0 @ Lockergnome

I read it all Eric. Every last word. And I actually followed you (except for the 4200/3800/shopbane/ericsbane part).I had a bunch of older parts and gave them to my lawn guy who gave them to his geeky kid neighbor who keeps the lawn guys computer running. Wish I had some of them to send to you now.I wish you long, trouble free, happy 'puting.

I went to a fav eBay seller whom I've dealt with a few times before. He always has some good used stuff for sale cheap. I searched through his eBay store and found an AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ that came out of his own personal system (so he claims) and is guaranteed to work or money back. He wanted $35 for it. Not bad... you can still get them new for about $75. This guy has 100% feedback at eBay, and I have bought other items from him, as I said, so I'm pretty confident the processor is probably fine.
You need a new search engine.
Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ / 2.5 GHz Energy Efficient - Socket AM2 - L2 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) - OEMby Advanced Micro DevicesBe the first to review this item |Price: $47.99
http://www.amazon.com/Processor-Athlon-Ene...4986&sr=1-3Still you are doing well with the freebies and you'll end up with a neat pc. :rolleyes:

V.T. Eric Layton
You need a new search engine. http://www.amazon.com/Processor-Athlon-Ene...4986&sr=1-3Still you are doing well with the freebies and you'll end up with a neat pc. :rolleyes:
Yeah, but the above would have cost me $68 to get it to my door. The one I bought is only costing me 35. Every penny counts when you have no pennies to count. B)

Yeah, but the above would have cost me $68 to get it to my door. The one I bought is only costing me 35. Every penny counts when you have no pennies to count. :)
57 dollars is what I make it. Point taken about the penny counting I've had to do it for years and years, mind you everyone in Yorkshire does it from birth, I missed the shipping charges :thumbsup:

Yeah, but the above would have cost me $68 to get it to my door. The one I bought is only costing me 35. Every penny counts when you have no pennies to count. :thumbsup:
I think you've done a good job with stretching your dollars - as always it's never easy spending money when you have no permanent job... but I've been in that boat before. All I can say is that you're not "crazy" and it sounds like you've weighed the options. Good luck with the build!
OK, so I might not be able to eat this next couple weeks, but what the ****... I need to lost that last 10 lbs, anyway. ;)Later...~Eric*Cross published at Nocturnal Slacker v1.0 @ Lockergnome
If you get hungry, you can try some of these or.... these.Works out to about $4 per bowl/ $1 per pack respectively. I've had them before (my local grocery store carries them) and the udon noodles are very satisfying. Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

@ ababarian...

$47.99 + $8.93 shipping
My math must have been a bit off when I added that up earlier. The whole day's been like that. :)@ Tushman... egads! That cup-a-soup shiite has more sodium in one serving than I'm allowed in one month. :thumbsup:

@ ababarian... My math must have been a bit off when I added that up earlier. The whole day's been like that. ;)@ Tushman... egads! That cup-a-soup shiite has more sodium in one serving than I'm allowed in one month. :yes:
You can get 12 British pot noodles for £10.99 :drooling: an not a sodim in sight :whistling: honest guv wivout a word of a lie. :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I received an email from CompUSA today...We're sorry... you mobo is on backorder.There was no estimated date of delivery. WAAAAAAAAA! _sad__by_cookiemagik-d2zpwkb.gif

Well, I received an email from CompUSA today...We're sorry... you mobo is on backorder.There was no estimated date of delivery. WAAAAAAAAA! _sad__by_cookiemagik-d2zpwkb.gif
I can't believe these weed wackers! They come back from the dead and now they can't even fulfill their orders? How are they going to ever win over the confidence of their customers this way? I never had much fondness for them when they were around and I have no desire to shop with them. There's a Crompy USA that recently resurrected (just a block down the street from my local MicroCenter store) - actually a former Circuit City store. At any rate, I went in just for curious sake and I didn't see anything exciting at all.

V.T. Eric Layton

AH! Good news in the Inbox today, though. My mobo shipped yesterday, shortly after I received the BO notice. That was a pretty short BO time, huh? :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

My processor showed up in Friday's mail. That was fast. It looks good, but can't test till the mobo gets here. :thumbsup: According to UPS tracking, the mobo will be here Tuesday. Yippee! I'll have a project for Wednesday, then. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Houston, we've had a set back. :(I received my mobo today from CompUSA. Unfortunately, the board they sent me is not the same revision as the one that I actually bought. This one is a bit newer. That's all fine and dandy, except it doesn't serve my needs. That's the reason I bought the board I bought in the first place.As always, though, CompUSA/Tiger Direct is pretty cool about returns. They've emailed me a prepaid UPS label to ship this back to them. Great. Well, now I have this Athlon64 X2 that bought just sitting around. I guess I could put it in my existing machine. That won't fix my vid card problem, though.All I need is $, you know, and I could solve all these little annoyances.Back to square one...

V.T. Eric Layton

It wasn't a total loss. I'm running that Athlon64 X2 4000+ in this system now. Seems to be working just fine. :) So, current specs are:ericsbane04:Cooler Master Chassis Mid Tower Elite 334 Nvidia Edition ATX CasingCooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 650watt power supplyGigaByte GA-M55plus-S3G socket AM2 motherboardAMD Athlon64 X2 4000+Nvidia chipset: GeForce 6100 Northbridge, nForce 430 Southbridge4Gig Centon DDR2 800 PC-6400 RAM (slots 1 & 2)2Gig Minix DDR2 800 PC-6400 RAM (slots 3 & 4)IDE 0 Master: Western Digital 250GigIDE 0 Slave: ZIP 100SATA 0: Western Digital 250GigSATA 1: Western Digital 250GigIDE 1 Master: HP DVD 840IDE 1 Slave: Generic DVDStandard 3.5" floppySix (6) cooling fans=====HP Deskjet 842C printerHP Scanjet 3400 flatbed scannerHP W1907 LCD monitorAltec Lansing (front) + Harman Kardon (rear) speakersDell keyboardLogitech Trackball mouseUpdated 29 March 2011Myeh... like I said, I won't be playing any vid games at 14K fps with this machine. However, it works well for everything else. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Umm... I hadn't thought I'd notice, but the system does seem a bit zippier with this dual core in here. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! It turns out that I could have used this mobo after all. I found a PCI slot --> PATA adapter today at CompUSA for $20. That's all I would have needed to make it work. Too bad I had dropped the mobo off at the UPS drop off before I went to CompUSA. Oh well, now that I know this can be done, I can buy any single EIDE channel mobo and make it work. YAY! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Talk about spare parts, I got more than any sane person should have. No CPU's but other various, assorted, misc, items.